Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Why the Canon vs Nikon thing?

stan walker 16 578
13 Jan 2007 3:27PM
All one has to do is to tot up the number of design faults in cameras, then you will realise that Canon are way out in front for faults. It just seems a mad race to get new models on to the market.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh 16 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Jan 2007 3:29PM
Oh go on Stan...name the design faults
you might as well.
cambirder 15 7.2k England
13 Jan 2007 3:45PM
I can hardly wait
walliswizard 13 403
13 Jan 2007 3:50PM
1. They are not Nikon.
2. See 1.
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
13 Jan 2007 7:17PM

Quote:3 years on and mine is still going

Is that impressive for a digital camera?
Westers 15 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
13 Jan 2007 7:24PM
Certainly is. Most people upgrade after 18 months.

;o)
mlewis 15 1.5k United Kingdom
13 Jan 2007 8:51PM

Quote:1. They are not Nikon.
2. See 1.

Yep, that it is why Canon is great!

Smile
keithknight 14 60 United Kingdom
15 Jan 2007 3:05PM
My own two penny worth.

I started (a long time ago) with Praktika on a 42mm thread, eventually upgraded to a Minolta MD mount.

When I wanted to go auto-focus I found out Minolta Dynax and MD were incompatable, so as I was starting again I looked at other manufacturers. At that time Olympus were out of the SLR market, otherwise they would have been first choice since the OM's had superb optics. So that left me looking around, and following on from my experience with Minolta I looked for a manufacturer who provided that reverse compatability. Canon FD lenses were totally different to their EOS mount, Nikon provided reverse compatability. End of argument, Nikon were supporting their established users.
mlewis 15 1.5k United Kingdom
15 Jan 2007 6:45PM
Pentax have the best backward compatability of all.
Centurion 15 1.2k England
15 Jan 2007 7:56PM
Is that backward user compatability? Wink

Gav
ghibby 14 101 United Kingdom
17 Jan 2007 5:05PM
Well having read this it seems the whole point has been lost. I'm a canon user personally but have played with a few nikons and would say they are the equal to canon but certainly no better. The whole point of the brand loyalty is buying into the system. For me EOS in the 90's was a clear choice on technical grounds. The choice of lens mount made more sense to me.

I like the totally electronic mount in comparisson to Nikons mechanical linkage for autofocus at the time, any of the mechanicalally coupled AF lenses feel and sound agricultural to me, in the mid 90's only canon widely used USM motors and were clearly the leader in technological terms. Also L series are as good as any top end nikon lens.

The field is more even now in the digital era but it seems the two companies play a strategic game with model specs. Lets face it the D80 is better speced than the 400D. In turn the EOS 30D is more robust and to me more desireable than the D80, but then a D200 seems a better machine still. By the time you reach the EOS 5D then I feel that canon is at the top of the game, for us mere mortals unable to afford the EOS 1DS mk2 this is the holy grail of current DSLR tecnology, but it would be nice if it were as robustly built as a D200.

Either way the ultimate deciding factor is what you can do with the technology at your disposal, anyone who can lay claim to one manufacturer producing better images than the other without question is clearly deluded and probably a crap photographer!
rbm105 15 22 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2007 5:45PM
Hey, why dont we just add the Mac vs PC thing in this topic just for the fun of it? oh and my 2 cents worth... having grown up with my grandfathers camera (Canon t70 i think..), my dads camera (Canon EOS 100), ive got use to Canons so i now have a EOS 350D & EOS 5 (35mm) so bbbaaaaaaaa
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jan 2007 7:00PM
Mac or PC, who cares ? So long as it'll take Linux ...
20 Jan 2007 1:58PM
I have used Canon cameras for 25 years and wouldn't use anything else
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
20 Jan 2007 2:03PM
25 years ago Canon was very much second fiddle to Nikon (and no, I have never owned a Nikon).

In years to come Canon may end up playing second fiddle to Sony or Panasonic. Or get bought up by one of them!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.