Try Kindle Unlimited For 3-Months For Just 99p!

Why the film never will die?

CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
15 Jun 2008 9:52AM
We many times heard about the "paperless" technologies, during the last twenty years . Where they now? The Paper has not left anywhere, the film will not leave also!
boony 15 978 3 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2008 10:00AM
i doubt film will ever die completely but its as close to it as possible at the moment i think. im a fully confirmed digital convert now but i still use the odd roll of film , shame to waste all that old film gear i have kicking around. plus i dont believe you can get the feel of a roll of 3200 delta from any computer , if someone can show me how please do , im waiting right here
pepperst 14 2.3k 4 Wales
15 Jun 2008 10:05AM
Film still has a hold on me, digi still doesnt feel right.

Plus I find it easier to do street work with an old film camera than a digi one, people are interested as opposed to wary.
15 Jun 2008 10:08AM

Quote:Film still has a hold on me, digi still doesnt feel right.

Plus I find it easier to do street work with an old film camera than a digi one, people are interested as opposed to wary.

thats very true , saw a bloke walking down the street just two days ago with a canon AE1 , stopped and had a chin wag with him because he had such an old camera hung around his neck wouldnt have done that with someone with the latest digi hung round their neck
pepperst 14 2.3k 4 Wales
15 Jun 2008 10:14AM
The Zenit is a big draw as it appears to have been a lot of peoples first camera, the kodak folding camera interests a few as well because its something they havnt seen used before
miptog 16 3.6k 67 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2008 10:20AM
Film will be here for some time, just in the way paper will be. However its use will be diminished. A factor with Film is that it needs to be transferred to something else; slides to be projected, and paper to be printed. The reason that we have film in the first place is due to the likes of Kodak and others who made it affordable. Paperless technologies are improving, but still cannot compare with the Centuries of using paper. That is paperless is still in its infancy.

The other main issue with Film / paper is cost. It is still too expensive to print, whereas digital is relatively free.

My theory is, is that when electronic books replace the paper books we are all used to will, not see the demise of film, but have it used in very limited and niche way.

So will film die, NO, it will simply fade away over time.
15 Jun 2008 10:35AM

Quote:It's not the enthusiasts that will allow it to die, but the businesses who can no longer justify making film and making the chemicals to process the film. It'll become harder to get, be like scouring eBay for typewriter ribbons 'til one day it's no more.

I give it ten years at the most.

sounds about right , i wonder if film enthusiasts will start making their own film when its no longer avaiable.
joolsb 17 27.1k 38 Switzerland
15 Jun 2008 10:41AM

Quote:sounds about right

Based on what, exactly? If I said it would last 20 years, would you also think that 'sounds about right'?

The truth is, nobody knows. There are enough people currently using film to enable Fuji and Kodak to continue to produce it. Are all these people going to switch to digital in ten years? Maybe, maybe not. Who can really say for sure?
15 Jun 2008 10:44AM
sounds about right that one day film wont be manufactured anymore.its based on that. maybe silver will run out. or the ingredients in dev.who knows.i dont have a crystal ball im afraid.
cameracat 18 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
15 Jun 2008 10:55AM
It would be great to think that film will never disappear, It would be better if it remained as an alternative media....!

Just imagine a few generations from now, When new photographers who only know digital are the majority, And all the die hard film enthusiasts are pushing up daisies.....Sad

Film will become just another museum piece....Perhaps....!

If film is to survive, It needs to be used by enough people to make the market viable, What company is going to continue producing something, They can't sell enough of, To stay in business.....!

Chris's forecast may well be on target.......Unless there is a major revival in film use, Or something really radical from the manafacturers concerned.......!

? If say Ilford produced something like a darkroom in a box kit.....That would include all you need to produce mono prints, And keep the price sensible......Smile

How many would buy it.....?
Just Jas Plus
19 26.4k 1 England
15 Jun 2008 11:19AM
Any body who wants darkroom kit (enlarger, easels, dishes, washers, development tanks) can pick this kit up from me for free. Smile Smile Smile

Oh, I might keep the pack of three dev, rinse, fix trays as paper trays for my office. Smile

jas
suejoh Plus
17 257 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2008 11:38AM
You are right. Film will never die.

My other half still fishes with cane rods (very quaint) although he does use carbon ones too. Have to say he belongs to an olde worlde fishing tackle group (cane only) - and they ARE weird. Not him - of course Smile

I still ride a horse but I drive a car to work.

Some people write letters by hand instead of using the computer and emailing it.

There will always be people who want to do it the hard way.
Sue
Just Jas Plus
19 26.4k 1 England
15 Jun 2008 11:59AM
I always thought that film was the easy way!

Well, it was for 60 years or so!

jas
joolsb 17 27.1k 38 Switzerland
15 Jun 2008 12:20PM

Quote:There will always be people who want to do it the hard way.

Film is only hard for those used to shooting with auto-everything, chimping, then twiddling with the dials and reshooting until the automation finally gets it right....
CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
15 Jun 2008 12:25PM

Quote:
I give it ten years at the most.

Hmm....maybe. However,

In Moscow there is a Photolaboratory "PHOTOPROJECT". In the past year, I gave the films for processing. I have come into practically empty hall, my order was ready... In two hours! Two weeks ago, I handed over slides in the same photolaboratory. First, I lost a 20 min in order. Secondly, my order could execute only for 4 days! Yesterday, I bought a film, in the same place, and again stood in a queue!

I have asked a question, why? To Me have told, that the number of orders for a film has sharply increased! What will be in the following of 10 years?

Perhaps, that such situation only in Russia......

[quote="Sue"]You are right. Film will never die.

Some people write letters by hand instead of using the computer and emailing it.

Yes, off course!

There is a some people, like me, who wants to see their work "as is"(on the film slivers, for example) . Does we are a "Ciborgs" ? No! We want read the books with the pages inside! Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.