PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Why when I print snow pictures?

gregbarker 13 4 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2007 3:46PM
Can anyone help me !!!!
When i print snow photos they seem well they do come out blue .
On preview they seem fine but when i send to print the problem then starts.
Am i doing somthing wrong on the printer settings or was it when i took the picture ie the wb.
Cheers
Greg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnHorne 15 1.0k
18 Feb 2007 4:10PM
You could sample the colours to see what values the offending areas have. The RGB values for pure white are 255, 255, 255. Where the snow is very pale but not completely white the RGB values will be slightly lower but, if perfectly neutral, the values will in theory be equal. If the values are out of step with each other then the snow is off-white because there is an issue with the image. If the values are pretty much in step then it is an issue with the printer.

You could post the offending image for us to see and comment.

John
kaybee 16 7.3k 26 Scotland
18 Feb 2007 7:00PM
Could be that your monitor needs calibrating or your printer settings require a tweek
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
18 Feb 2007 7:02PM
without the proper filters for snow you do get a blue tint, only way around it now is to desaturate on the blue channel
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
18 Feb 2007 7:26PM
Not sure what Paul's refering to with 'filters for snow'??,but if the problem is prints not matching your screen as you say,the most likely cause is an uncalibrated monitor,inadequate printer/paper icc profiles,incorrect print settings.

Justin.
SandyMiller 14 932 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2007 7:30PM

Quote:Not sure what Paul's refering to with 'filters for snow

When using film you often get a blue cast if you don't use a warm-up filter. I think you can control this in processing if you use digital (colour temperature)
18 Feb 2007 7:52PM
The problem according to the OP wasn't at the taking or processing stage but at the printing stage when the image didn't match the screen.

Justin.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
18 Feb 2007 7:54PM
as I said use desaturate in photoshop or other, then do a series of test strip prints till you get the required white snow etc
18 Feb 2007 8:25PM
A more reliable and consistent method is to use a calibrated monitor and correct icc printer/paper profiles,printing test strips every time will result in un-necessary expense,wasted time and lots of frustration.
Desaturating the blue channel slightly, sounds like a good sugestion though.

Justin.
cambirder 16 7.2k England
18 Feb 2007 8:28PM
Don't worry about blue snow, its yellow snow you have to worry about.
SandyMiller 14 932 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2007 8:36PM
Or no snow at all - that's even worse...
miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
18 Feb 2007 8:50PM
Second guessing:-

Unless you compensate via exposure or filter White Snon will look slighty Blue. It is possible that in preview there is actually a slight blue cast, that you didn't notice. When printing this blue can be acentued by the printer thus appearring bluer than the preview. Mike
KatieR 16 6.2k 6
18 Feb 2007 9:15PM

Quote:White Snon

It's extremely tricky stuff, snon.

The white balance is the least of your problems... wait until you realise it doesn't even exist

muhahahahahaaaaaa

Stick to snow. It's a lot more predictable in its response to light.
dougv 16 8.4k 3 England
18 Feb 2007 9:28PM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.