Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Wide Angle Lens Choices

srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2004 1:58PM
Am going on holiday to Canada in September, and want to get a good wide angle lens for the trip to use with my 10D. I'm after something that I can use as a general everyday lens for landscape work etc., but also something that I can use for motorsport shots.

Ideally after something up to 70mm, and with a good wide aperature.

Have been looking at the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8. This is about as expensive as I could go. Anyone using this lens?

Can anyone suggest any alternatives that would be worth looking at?

Failing that, could somebody point me in the direction of some reviews on the Sigma?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

agoreira 15 6.0k Wales
8 Aug 2004 2:08PM
www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=97&sort=7&thecat=29

I don't shoot motor sports, but I doubt 70mm will be a lot of good, woefully short, I'd have thought. Bear in mind, 24mm is not very wide on a 10D

Frank W
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
8 Aug 2004 2:31PM
I'd have a look at the Sigma 18-55mm DC lens, ok I know it's not without it's faults, especially purple fringing at the longest focal range. But it's as cheap as chips at less than a 100 quid!.....Ade
chris.maddock 18 3.7k United Kingdom
8 Aug 2004 2:40PM
Agree with Frank, fast though that lens is it is neither wide-angle on a 10D nor adequately long for motorsports. To be perfectly honest, you'd do better to go for two lenses - one for one purpose and one for the other.

If you don't want to blow all your budget on a wide-angle to leave some towards a longer lens after you get back, then I can recommend the Tokina 19-35/3.5-4.5. At around 150, it's a damned good lens for the money.

I did have some thoughts re. the long end but it looks like you already have that well covered, judging by your gallery shots,with the 70-200/4.
In fact, I can't understand why you want something to double up as wideangle and for motorsports if you've got that 70-200.

HTH
Chris

PS - if it helps, I have a Tokina 19-35 that is redundant now I have my Sigma 12-24. If you want to make me an offer, drop me an email - via my website, as listed in my profile, will get me.
srh 15 54 1 United Kingdom
8 Aug 2004 4:04PM
Thanks for the comments and replies.

You would be surprised when something shorter than a 70mm comes in handy. I take a lot of pictures at Harewood Hillclimb, and there are several locations where 70 mm actually gets you too close, particularly on the 10D. Also very useful for detail shots in the pits and paddock.

Frank W - good point about the 24mm end on the 10D. Will have to have a good think about this in relation to other lenses out there. Thanks for the link as well.

Simon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.