Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Wildlife lens.

gm4zhl 11 13 Scotland
14 Aug 2009 3:27PM
Hi.Cambirder.
I nearly bought one of these last year, only thing that stopped me was my age, i'm seventy next month, and the thought of lugging it ower the hills put me off.. but in saying that, the opton lens weighs 5 kilogrames, so i'll put it away in the cupboard for now, and only use it if i spot a pod o killer whales in the sound..

george..
User_Removed 11 718 9 England
14 Aug 2009 3:31PM
A good alternative to static hides is the stealth poncho as reviewed in AP a couple of weeks back.

Im not sure how quiet it is as it looks like it could be a noisy rustling fabric, but for less than 15 its worthwhile investing in one i think, might even order one for myself.
realspeed 14 56 United Kingdom
14 Aug 2009 7:59PM
I have one of those lenses the Opteka but same lens with 2x mag unit as well.
what did I use it for? well mainly for photographing the moon which for the price does a reasonable job ( that is if you can keep up with the speed the moon moves out of shot, because its fast at 2300mm)
You do need a very sturdy tripod I have the manfrotto 055XPROB and you really need something that sturdy. The lens is totally manual(pull/push slide) and at max mm shutter slap is really noticable, hence you need to lock the whole thing down really tightly.

To be honest I had it for a bit of fun when Ii first started in photography, but for serious use forget it.

Realspeed
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
14 Aug 2009 8:42PM

Quote:A good alternative to static hides is the stealth poncho as reviewed in AP a couple of weeks back.

Im not sure how quiet it is as it looks like it could be a noisy rustling fabric, but for less than 15 its worthwhile investing in one i think, might even order one for myself.

It probably generates as much noise as most waterproof clothing - it certainly looks interesting if nothing but for its larger size being more accomodating to a photographer and backpack. As for its "tent" mode it looks like a great idea, but I do get the feeling that one would start to feel rather cramped sitting tented out in it for a long period of time - lain down would probably be the best position rather than the sitting one they show on their website
gm4zhl 11 13 Scotland
14 Aug 2009 9:19PM
Missalison.
Thanks for drawing my attention to the stealth poncho.. i think that would be the answer to my problem, i'm going on holiday tomorrow, down in scotland, when i get back home i'll get one of those.
And Overread, if i was to lay down, I doubt if i could get back up again..
George..
User_Removed 15 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2009 10:56AM
Can I point you to this item Camo Poncho
I have two and they're perfect for the job, they do have different camo patterns.
User_Removed 13 736 4
15 Aug 2009 10:57AM
'Stealth poncho' had me giggling with visions of Mexican spies. Is there a matching 'Stealth Sombrero'?
Assyrian 13 132 Scotland
15 Aug 2009 11:43AM
Buy a telescope and SLR adapter and take up digiscoping. The results would be better, the price maybe a bit more but certainly not 5000 and the telescope lens quality WAY better than that lens!
Chris
gm4zhl 11 13 Scotland
15 Aug 2009 12:50PM
Aftertherain.
Thanks for pointing me the way to the camo poncho. I think it would blend in better than the stealth poncho.. that german one would blend in with the the heather in the moors..

Assyrian.
I will think about digi-scoping, when i'm out and about, there is virtually no cover to be found on shetland.. thats why i was looking for a lens with more reach..

george..
User_Removed 11 718 9 England
15 Aug 2009 3:06PM
Digiscoping costs a lot of money if you want seriously good images.

Most images from scopes look flat, and more fringing than an old hippies tie dyed tee shrit. Three are a lot of scopes on the market, but as with lenses, you get what you pay for. Cheap scopes, 300 or less are fine for observation but awful for images. And expensive scopes are just too damn expensive.

Then you have to but a mount and learn how to take images on it.

They are good for recording sightings but fail immensely with the quality.

But i imaging that soon there will be scopes on the market which will take digital images without the need for all the faffing aroung that digiscoping entails today.

I know that one could buy binoculars with a camera built in, this was a 2 to 3 mp camera, but the results were dubious to say the least.

Quote:'Stealth poncho' had me giggling with visions of Mexican spies. Is there a matching 'Stealth Sombrero'?

The sombrero could be used as a bird bath when not being worn i guess Wink
dickiedriver 14 212 United Kingdom
18 Aug 2009 5:59PM

Quote:You would probably get superior images from your sigma with a 2x TC fitted (similar price), still manual focus and probably still not very good but a wiser investment IMO. Canons 1200mm L cost 40K for a reason.

Good Idea vagabond unfortunatly the Sigma converters only work with the EX range of lenses and the 170-500 is only a DG lens however i have used a Jessops 2x converter and although not brilliant hand held did a good job tripod mounted and remote released, just another thought

Richard
dragarth 16 247 1 Scotland
21 Aug 2009 9:31PM
I wont comment as the above probably covers it.. I use a 70-200 and camo / ghilli suit and a bit of skill and luck. i wish I had a 500mm reach!!
still the x2 gives me 400mm at 5.6 which will have to do..
don't waste your money I got my ghillie suit for under 50 quid on ebay and made some mods that cost less than 20 quid - result..

sean

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.