50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Will the wearing of masks kill street photography?

hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
12 Jul 2020 7:00AM
Well! I have my answer....

The wearing of masks obviously wonít kill ....Street photography.... but it will change the dynamics and approach of keen participants.

Social distancing rules means, perhaps a longer lens.... with a M4/3 system like mine, a 52mm vintage lens is about right if itís pre-focused correctly.

As for me, Iím honestly scared that a standard mask with tapes over the ears may pull out all important hearing aids.... so will seek out an alternative fixing method if masks become compulsory.

As part of my well-being strategy, I go for a daily Dawn walk through a local park and historic site.... as a sign of the times, the summer bins and grassy areas are marred by evidence of very heavy drinking and the use of... Hippy-Crack... and balloons ... all scattered far and wide.... a subject perhaps for a braver ...Street Photographer than me.

Thank you to all those responding....stay safe..... stay healthy..

Hobbo

Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
12 Jul 2020 10:12PM
Very few people wearing masks around my neck of the woods, maybe one in twenty.

Just helps to keep your own germs in! Keeping viruses out with a mask has been likened to erecting a chain link fence to stop mosquitoes!

biggrin-light.jpg

13 Jul 2020 11:10AM
But surely keeping your own germs to yourself is the whole point!? That's why everyone should be wearing one.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Jul 2020 11:50AM
Wearing one where? Nothing to be gained walking down your local high street with a mask in place. Especially some of those you see being worn - filtration property of a sieve.
13 Jul 2020 12:25PM
Enclosed spaces where distancing is a problem I don’t think anyone is saying that it’s a solution to the problem it’s just another control measure to reduce transmission.

There is guidance available on how to use/remove masks but what it needs is good leadership and guidance from the government but their messages are so muddled.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.7k 2395 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2020 5:37PM

Quote:Enclosed spaces where distancing is a problem I donít think anyone is saying that itís a solution to the problem itís just another control measure to reduce transmission.

Precisely. Masks cost very little, are no great inconvenience and may contribute towards reducing transmission. Why quibble?

My only concern would be if they encourage people to feel more secure and let down their guard. But my own observation locally is that they seem to act as a visual reminder to passers-by to keep their distance, both in the street and in shops.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
13 Jul 2020 7:27PM

Quote:
Quote:If.....and only if....I did request mask removal. (it was only a hypothetical suggestion ) I would strictly keep my two meter social distancing... and would be wearing a mask myself....

I personally wouldn't ask someone to remove their mask because it would mean people fiddling about with their masks and having to discard their old one and use a new one. Of course, I imagine most people would refuse anyway. The art of street photography is to capture a moment, not create one - that would be street portraiture, a different thing altogether. I suppose the mask will now replace the mobile in street photography, or perhaps now we'll have both. Joyous times! Sad

Not all street photography has to be candid

599_1594664319.jpg

599_1594664331.jpg

And SP need not even need to include recognisable faces

599_1594664376.jpg

599_1594664390.jpg

Your creating a moment every time you take a picture, we are also participants, don`t get to hung up on it all, what is, what isn`t etc, face coverings change nothing, they alter nothing.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
13 Jul 2020 7:37PM
I agree fully....I always have.... I have, and still am an avid researcher into the art of Street Photography.

My title was just that..... Street Photography as it ...used to be..... has been drastically altered by the covering of the face.....

I feel very sorry that the thread went down a rather negative route...

Mods...can you close it now please.....it has fun itís course.

Hobbo
13 Jul 2020 7:41PM

Quote:

As for me, Iím honestly scared that a standard mask with tapes over the ears may pull out all important hearing aids.... so will seek out an alternative fixing method if masks become compulsory.

Hobbo

The two don`t mix well, I work 12 hours shifts in PPE, the mask are for ever pulling at my hearing aids, the other problem is communication, a good part of this is visual, something most hearing people take for granted, gets tougher when you can`t see facial expressions.

As for mask, well they can be almost anything, scarf, bandanna etc, you don`t really need surgical mask, most are pretty useless anyway.
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2020 9:04PM
I've seen quite a few people in my workplace wearing a mask and only covering their mouth, nose totally exposed and this completely defeats the objective.

So far I haven't taken to wearing one but I have no problem doing so if it becomes necessary.

I think transmission in our area has been relatively low and this has been a saving grace to my neighbours who have behaved like idiots since the whole lockdown began.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Jul 2020 9:15PM
At the start of all this the recommendation from PHE was for FFP3 masks, as the supply of these dried up rapidly (especially as the Government was seizing them on import and re-routing them to the NHS - as though only the NHS needed them!), FFP2 masks became the minimum and this remains. 3 ply surgical masks are not really up to the job if in close contact. As for bandanas and cut up T shirts....waste of time. How much eye protection do you see on the streets?

As for masks on the streets, well if the purpose of street photography is to capture life on the streets, then masks are a part of that.
13 Jul 2020 9:37PM

Quote:At the start of all this the recommendation from PHE was for FFP3 masks, as the supply of these dried up rapidly (especially as the Government was seizing them on import and re-routing them to the NHS - as though only the NHS needed them!), FFP2 masks became the minimum and this remains. 3 ply surgical masks are not really up to the job if in close contact. As for bandanas and cut up T shirts....waste of time. How much eye protection do you see on the streets?

Yes cut up t-shirts, bandannas etc are all a waste of time, as are surgical mask and cloth mask (that many people seem to be wearing at the mo) but if the rule comes in we will have to just follow them or face fines.

Each 12 hour shift I work, we each get issued just two paper mask, they have to last and we work in very close contact, face visors as well when at high risk but still with the crappy surgical mask, better than nothing Smile

13 Jul 2020 10:08PM
Those FFP3 mask are not recommended for close contact Keith, exhalation valves are not a good idea when in close contact.
13 Jul 2020 10:22PM

Quote:as the Government was seizing them on import and re-routing them to the NHS - as though only the NHS needed!
. FFP3s have been in short supply since beginning of the year, and as you rightly say not just the NHS require them, the HSE are certainly not making concessions and will still fine employers for not using them when required to do so.

If you are within a metre of someone any face covering should reduce transmission, it wonít stop it completely thatís why distancing is important as well as not touching your face- even with a mask on. But the closer you get the more protection you need. Anyone going about their lives in shops etc and not going to be that close that they need N95s etc,(and they need fitting, as do FFP3)but I do think some guidance from our government is overdue, mind you they need to learn how to use them properly too not just use them for a photo op.

13 Jul 2020 10:35PM

Quote:If you are within a metre of someone any face covering should reduce transmission

Not so if your carrying the virus and don`t know it, exhaling through a valve pushes your breath further.

A mask is a very small part of staying safe, lol the numbers of mask and gloves I see discarded on the pavements is just silly.

https://hartfordhealthcare.org/about-us/news-press/news-detail?articleId=26322&publicid=395

https://www.entuk.org/sites/default/files/BAOMS%20ENT%20PPE%20-%20Avoid%20Using%20FFP3%20masks%20with%20valves%20for%20close%20patient%20interactions%20May%202020.pdf

I spend a good part of my life in PPE, if forced to wear a face covering in the street or shop it will be a scarf or a bandanna for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.