Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Will the wearing of masks kill street photography?

13 Jul 2020 10:38PM
I wasn’t talking about masks with a valve Paul,
Why does your employer only give you two masks a day, is it supply problems still?

Just announced that 24th July face coverings mandatory in shops and supermarkets.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
13 Jul 2020 11:01PM
Could be cost, could by supply, it could simply be because they think it is all that we need, don`t know, not concerned at the mo, infections are pretty low but if it rises or peaks again, gets bad, I will be concerned, the two I get each shift can get pretty mucky as it is.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
13 Jul 2020 11:06PM

Quote:I wasnít talking about masks with a valve Paul

That`s good, I hate the things Smile
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jul 2020 12:21AM

Quote:Just announced that 24th July face coverings mandatory in shops and supermarkets.

Will shop workers also be forced to wear them?
None of them are around here at the moment.
And what about bus drivers? I've yet to see one of them in a mask.
It's small wonder that, despite it being compulsory for passengers to wear one since June 15th., hardly anyone's actually doing so.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
14 Jul 2020 6:12AM
Good news for the businesses that manufacture face masks.

To date, I have only worn a mask when I visited the salon to get my haircut last week. Wearing one was required.

Maybe I should now buy a reusable / washable mask instead of the single use throw away type ?

14 Jul 2020 6:49AM
If your only wearing a disposable for a very small amount of time - say 15 mins to pop into a shop, take it off (properly) put it in a sealed bag - like a sandwich bag then iron it once you are home(take it out of the bag first though!).

I bought a box of 50 a while ago when it was looking like they may be a mandatory requirement but as usual the government were late on this, Iíve given more away than Iíve used so maybe a half a dozen washable ones might be a better alternative.
14 Jul 2020 6:51AM

Quote: And what about bus drivers?
Are buses fitted with screens?

Itís certainly not the case here that bus passengers are not wearing them, itís almost like it was compulsory since lockdown- seems to be an accepted way of life. The more responsible shops here have embraced guidelines to try and keep their staff and customers safe.
14 Jul 2020 8:33AM

Quote:If your only wearing a disposable for a very small amount of time - say 15 mins to pop into a shop, take it off (properly) put it in a sealed bag - like a sandwich bag then iron it once you are home

People aren't going to bother with that performance.
Masks will simply be shoved into bags and pockets and reused over and over until they fall to pieces.
That's how I use my bandana.
14 Jul 2020 8:37AM

Quote:
Are buses fitted with screens?

Yes, they are.
Presumably, that makes them exempt?
It ought to be made plain though. I've heard several passengers say that they don't see why they should be forced to use a mask when the drivers aren't.
14 Jul 2020 12:37PM
There are some people, like yourself, that won’t adhere to simple measures to help protect themselves and others that’s down to human behaviour but the majority who are given clear guidelines that they can follow will help get this virus under control.
It’s not hard and just might save a few people some trauma.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.5k 30 England
14 Jul 2020 12:39PM
I've just been to my local supermarket and was chatting to one of the staff and she said that it was up to them whether they wore masks or not, even when the new rule comes in. So that's all clear then.
14 Jul 2020 12:44PM

Quote:Are buses fitted with screens?

Yes, they are.
Presumably, that makes them exempt?
It ought to be made plain though. I've heard several passengers say that they don't see why they should be forced to use a mask when the drivers aren't.

A screen would allow a level of protection between the public and the driver, as he is on his own he wouldnít need a mask.
I agree that clear guidelines are necessary but Iím surprised people canít grasp this simple concept.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
14 Jul 2020 12:45PM
Yes masks won't be compulsory for shop workers, only for customers.

I can see a further upsurge in online supermarket once the new law comes into effect on 24 July.

And more police resources channeled into enforcement of the mask rule. Oh well, I suppose they can redirect some of the resources currently absorbed dealing with hate speech on the internet!
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 7 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2020 12:51PM
If the risk requires a mask, why go at all.
Personally, if I absolutely have to I will. However I will elect not to go somewhere rather than wear one.

For doctors, hospitals, opticians etc. then I will but I really cannot see why I need to in a supermarket when I briefly pass other people when MPs do not in the Houses or Parliament.

Having not been in shops much since March I will continue as is.
I guess store home deliveries and Amazon keeps pushing ahead with their businesses.
Not going to stimulate the high street and push forward businesses with this one if more feel the same way I do.

Foot fall through August will tell.
14 Jul 2020 1:15PM
Would you drive a car with no seatbelt? Iím guessing you wouldnít because you know that there is risk involved by not doing so; both from the law and your own protection. A mask is a similar safety measure.

If, as has been proven in other countries, that it reduces the transmission rates and allows us get on with things rather than lock the country down again why is is so hard to do? We already have the highest death rate in Europe, we surely donít want to end up like the USA where in Houston this week their local newspaper had 43 pages of obituaries!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.