Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Will the wearing of masks kill street photography?

Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jul 2020 1:34PM

Quote:There are some people, like yourself, that won’t adhere to simple measures to help protect themselves and others that’s down to human behaviour but the majority who are given clear guidelines that they can follow will help get this virus under control.
It’s not hard and just might save a few people some trauma.

Where have I said that I won't adhere to this?
I haven't and it's unfair to imply otherwise.
Albeit grudgingly, I use a bandana.
I caught a bus to Sainsburys this morning and how many of the passengers, there were eleven on the bus, I counted them, do you think, had covered their faces?
Two.
One was an old lady who had one of those paper things over just her mouth and the other was myself in my pink bandana.
14 Jul 2020 1:37PM

Quote: as has been proven in other countries, that it reduces the transmission rates

Depends which paper you read . . .
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
14 Jul 2020 1:44PM
A lot of people are far too occupied with what others are doing/not doing. Bus drivers aren't wearing masks. So why should I? A lot of shop workers aren't wearing them. So why should I? Half the people on the bus weren't wearing them. So why should I?

Forget what others are doing and think for yourself and those you come in contact with. As long as there is doubt as to their effectiveness, then it makes sense to err on the side of caution and wear a mask. If there is even the slightest chance it helps, then as far as I can see, it's a no-brainer.
It is also nothing more than a minor inconvenience. If the alternative is a new, strict lock-down, which would you prefer?
14 Jul 2020 2:04PM
As I've already posted, I am, grudgingly, falling into line but the fact that bus drivers and shop staff aren't being forced to do so is relevant.
Bus drivers might sit behind a plastic screen but they aren't fully enclosed and that screen has a fair sized hole in it. Doubtless, there's some protection from being coughed or sneezed over but they're still breathing the same air as everyone else and on occasion, handling other peoples' money.
People are refusing to wear masks on buses because the drivers aren't and it's probable that shoppers will go down the same route.
There are already posters in this thread saying that they won't go to the shops because of the rule.
What's needed is uniformity.
Either everyone, in a given situation, is forced to cover their face, or no-one is.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
14 Jul 2020 2:24PM
HALLOOOOOO!

This began as a thread about ....Street-Photography...... not, the why’s and wherefore’s of mask wearing ....

Get out with your camera’s ..... wear a mask if you have to.... go take photographs.

saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
14 Jul 2020 2:38PM

Quote:As I've already posted, I am, grudgingly, falling into line but the fact that bus drivers and shop staff aren't being forced to do so is relevant.

Why is that relevant to what you decide to do?
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
14 Jul 2020 2:42PM

Quote:Get out with your camera’s ..... wear a mask if you have to.... go take photographs.

And remember, when you get home and are processing your images, protect yourself and the images by using the Layer Mask in PS et al.Wink
14 Jul 2020 2:50PM

Quote:

I didn't say that it was.

It is, however, relevant to what others are posting here.
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
14 Jul 2020 2:56PM

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't say that it was.

That's how it reads...
14 Jul 2020 3:14PM

Quote:What's needed is uniformity.
Either everyone, in a given situation, is forced to cover their face, or no-one is

it’s not based on masks alone, it’s to add to the measures we should already be following.

And I’m not getting my information on from the papers
14 Jul 2020 3:14PM

Quote:
That's how it reads...

Not if you actually read my post . . .
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
14 Jul 2020 3:26PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's how it reads...

Not if you actually read my post . . .

I read it one way, you another, perhaps if you wrote what you mean a bit clearer next time so there is no doubt..?

Now, I'm out of here to go snap some people in the street who may or may not be wearing facial covering, it matters not as they are all part of what is happening out there right now, which is what street photography is all about...
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Jul 2020 3:58PM

Quote:Though coverings – such as cloth masks, scarves and bandanas – should go over the mouth and nose, there is no specification on the type, with the government advising people not to use medical-grade masks to ensure they remain available for frontline staff.

Or in other words - just wear any old sh*t. We know they will be useless but at least we tried.

The government announcement added anything between 50p and £2 to the price of an FFP2 masks overnight.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
14 Jul 2020 4:09PM
Oh dear!
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
14 Jul 2020 4:28PM

Quote:they are all part of what is happening out there right now, which is what street photography is all about

Spot on.

A friend of mine cycled around central London during the lockdown and made a couple of videos entitled "Deserted London". You could not do that now - the traffic etc is probably around 70-80% of normal and people are milling about especially outside pubs!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.