PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Will the wearing of masks kill street photography?

Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jul 2020 5:34PM

Quote: the traffic etc is probably around 70-80% of normal and people are milling about especially outside pubs!

It's not that busy CB.

Last Saturday afternoon . . .

88694_1594744229.jpg

88694_1594744261.jpg

88694_1594744271.jpg

88694_1594744282.jpg

I mooched around for hours; I've seen more activity in London on Christmas morning.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
14 Jul 2020 6:08PM
Nice pics.Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
14 Jul 2020 7:41PM

Quote:
Quote:What's needed is uniformity.
Either everyone, in a given situation, is forced to cover their face, or no-one is

itís not based on masks alone, itís to add to the measures we should already be following

That`s how I see things

Face coverings alone are just not working

Son went back to work and within a few weeks nine employees went down with the virus, today that figure has grown to more the twenty and you read about over places as well, a meet packing plant, and sandwich making facility and more recently a load of farm workers.

Face coverings are giving people a false sense of security, useless without other measures in place.

Back on subject, will all this kill street photography, I think not.

599_1594752331.jpg
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2020 11:21PM
Nope:

2955_1594851609.jpg

2955_1594851647.jpg

18 Jul 2020 3:02AM
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
18 Jul 2020 9:05PM
No shortage of epz nannies ......SmileSmileSmile
collywobles 16 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2020 3:43PM
18341_1596465739.jpg

Did'nt seem to bother this lot.........
4 Aug 2020 10:30PM
Arguments about The need and effectiveness of masks aside, masks have now almost become the new Mobile phones of street photography. They are now part of our lives for better or worse for the foreseeable future and will be in loads of shots. Going into London (on the days I have to work) is when I get to shoot Street and I would rather everyone stays safe over any photo opportunity.

Quote:As a more than keen ...... Street Photographer.... I am finding it increasingly difficult to get the Street and Candid studies I used to, prior to the Voluntary wearing of masks became the order of the day. Now they may become compulsory for all except for those with specific problems.

Sadly, that means Street Photographers lose the golden opportunities of expressions of daily life.... the smile, the frown, surprise or sadness etc.... ....

Yes!.... I fully realise the good reasons for the wearing of masks, so will now need to change the emphasis of my Street Creations... to the observation and recording of gesture, pose, action, or, just the placement iof subjects within a certain setting, or, in a certain light.

Dogs ..... or..... even just the accessories people are wearing or carrying could become the main Centre of focus..... I do know that tattoos make good subjects.

150445_1594447029.jpg

There might even be opportunities to, catch candid of subjects without masks at pavement cafeís or outdoor events..... I might even pluck up the courage to request the quick removal of a mask for a requested ...Street-Portrait.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter ?

Sadly in my immediate area there are no super-special landscapes .... only, all too familiar tourist views, and home-town architecture.

Hobbo

Hi Cyril

I discovered the possibilities of tattoo photography a few years ago

There are tattoo shows all over the country (or at least there were). I still have my ticket for one of the London ones, which has now been postponed 3 times since May

But I visited the London shows 10 times between 2015 and 2019

Amazing looking colourful people, proud of their tattoos and delighted to be photographed

Although judging by your black and white photo here, perhaps you already know all this

I have devoted a section of my website to my "tattoo project". Slideshows of each convention I've been to, as well as my "willing volunteers" section for people happy to talk to me about their tattoos ...

https://www.colinallenphotography.com/tattoo-project

Happy new year and have fun with your photos

Colin
1 Jan 2021 11:55AM
Here in France it's not the mask that is the danger to street photography, it's "droit de l'image" (rights to images). The law is open to various interpretations, but any shot of a person recognisable without their authorisation puts the photographer at risk of civil law suits.
This in the country of Cartier Bresson and Doisneau !
2 Jan 2021 2:16AM
Check out Peter Turnley's Instagram account, a man with a real heart and an eye.
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
2 Jan 2021 3:52PM
I'm starting to notice that some people look more attractive in masks............

clown-light.jpg
hobbo Plus
9 1.7k 4 England
2 Jan 2021 5:09PM

Quote:
Quote:As a more than keen ...... Street Photographer.... I am finding it increasingly difficult to get the Street and Candid studies I used to, prior to the Voluntary wearing of masks became the order of the day. Now they may become compulsory for all except for those with specific problems.

Sadly, that means Street Photographers lose the golden opportunities of expressions of daily life.... the smile, the frown, surprise or sadness etc.... ....

Yes!.... I fully realise the good reasons for the wearing of masks, so will now need to change the emphasis of my Street Creations... to the observation and recording of gesture, pose, action, or, just the placement iof subjects within a certain setting, or, in a certain light.

Dogs ..... or..... even just the accessories people are wearing or carrying could become the main Centre of focus..... I do know that tattoos make good subjects.

150445_1594447029.jpg

A ....HUGE.....Thank you for that....I will explore in depth.... brilliant stuff !

I stop my tattooed subjects in the street... most are only too happy to pose, or, to let me concentrate on the tattoo only....

Hobbo

There might even be opportunities to, catch candid of subjects without masks at pavement cafeís or outdoor events..... I might even pluck up the courage to request the quick removal of a mask for a requested ...Street-Portrait.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this matter ?

Sadly in my immediate area there are no super-special landscapes .... only, all too familiar tourist views, and home-town architecture.

Hobbo

Hi Cyril

I discovered the possibilities of tattoo photography a few years ago

There are tattoo shows all over the country (or at least there were). I still have my ticket for one of the London ones, which has now been postponed 3 times since May

But I visited the London shows 10 times between 2015 and 2019

Amazing looking colourful people, proud of their tattoos and delighted to be photographed

Although judging by your black and white photo here, perhaps you already know all this

I have devoted a section of my website to my "tattoo project". Slideshows of each convention I've been to, as well as my "willing volunteers" section for people happy to talk to me about their tattoos ...

https://www.colinallenphotography.com/tattoo-project

Happy new year and have fun with your photos

Colin

petebfrance 9 2.9k France
3 Jan 2021 11:48AM

Quote:Here in France it's not the mask that is the danger to street photography, it's "droit de l'image" (rights to images). The law is open to various interpretations, but any shot of a person recognisable without their authorisation puts the photographer at risk of civil law suits.
This in the country of Cartier Bresson and Doisneau !

Buildings - 'ownership' of the object, and therefore its image, I believe also makes photographing them potentially 'interesting.'

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.