Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

Windows 10 Upgrade Discussion

Chris_L 5 5.1k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2015 5:32PM
I notice W10 files have been downloaded to my PC ready for install, yikes!

250184_1438101172.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

davidburleson 12 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2015 6:00PM
Yep at work. Nope at home. Both reserved around the same time. Call me sad, but I'm excited!
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2015 6:05PM
yep, got it.
However going out for steak and beer.
Stomach more important than windows update.
28 Jul 2015 7:15PM
I'm excited too, hee
ikett 8 545 England
28 Jul 2015 7:29PM
There's no Win 10 driver for my graphics card, apparently GeForce are only issuing drivers for 400 series and above mine is a 340. I tried the beta Win 10 on a spare HDD but could only see part of the desktop as my monitor needs a minimum resolution of 1920 X 1080 the basic windows driver couldn't provide it.

So I think I'll let the bugs get ironed out and get a new card in a while, a tad upset really as it's a 2GB card, oh well!
PhilT2 Plus
9 513 29 England
28 Jul 2015 7:32PM
Good luck guys..........I am a bit cautious about this one and will wait a few months to see how it pans out as a system before I go for it. I have considered running it in Oracle Virtual Box (ie a virtual computer) to test it before installing it over my 8.1 windows. If it is buggy I can then delete the virtual PC and I'm back where I started with 8.1.
I am not sure whether once installed you can roll back your system to the previous version.

I always doff my cap to brave souls Wink.............so I hope you have the best of success
ikett 8 545 England
28 Jul 2015 7:41PM

Quote:Good luck guys..........I am a bit cautious about this one and will wait a few months to see how it pans out as a system before I go for it. I have considered running it in Oracle Virtual Box (ie a virtual computer) to test it before installing it over my 8.1 windows. If it is buggy I can then delete the virtual PC and I'm back where I started with 8.1.
I am not sure whether once installed you can roll back your system to the previous version.

I always doff my cap to brave souls Wink.............so I hope you have the best of success

I kind of see your point, but if all your hardware is supported and you can re-install your software, have a laughSmile

You have backups of your data obviously!
Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
28 Jul 2015 8:12PM
Presumably Chris, it's the folder at the top left?
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
28 Jul 2015 8:59PM
Yeh I noticed a new folder as well

$windows BT, I have no idea what the BT stands for.
robthecamman 7 1.7k United Kingdom
28 Jul 2015 8:59PM
wait till starts going wrong see how excited they are Smile
Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
28 Jul 2015 9:08PM
What is the best way of deactivating CC before installing 10, am I right in thinking all I need to do is to log out of the CC app.
28 Jul 2015 9:16PM
Yeah that's the folder, the BT might stand for Bad Times Grin

Paul I have no idea what happens to existing apps; I'm going to read a few blogs etc after other people have done it before I allow mine to go ahead. If I had to reinstall CC stuff it's not a big deal, settings etc are saved in the Cloud. Data files such as photos and catalogs are backed up.

Looking at my program files list there's nothing that would be a big deal to reinstall if that's what I had to do.

Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
28 Jul 2015 9:20PM
Are you going to go ahead with it tomorrow Chris?
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
28 Jul 2015 9:25PM
Just finished reading what we will loose by upgrading to Windows 10. I have Windows 7, and I despise change for the sake of change, and that's what I see here. I can see one huge headache for me by upgrading to this. In fact, from what I've been reading, this is a downgrade, imo. I have the Home Edition, so I won't have any control over updates, they will be installed no matter if I'm in the middle of something important, or I just start my PC to find something quick, an installation will take place and my PC will restart; no thank you very much.
28 Jul 2015 9:25PM
I've got a meeting at lunch time and a few important emails and other tasks to do. I'll read up how others have fared overnight - I think some will upgrade early hours - then (and if I have the notification too) I'll give it a blast.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.