Windows 10 Upgrade Discussion

redhed17 13 864 England
31 May 2016 2:39AM

Quote:You download and save the latest drivers somewhere safe before upgrading, especially the drivers needed for the internet.

But even if you do that like I did, and they don't work, there is no option but to revert back to whatever OS you started with. :-/

That is one of the reasons the option to revert back is there for of course, but there are a lot of people who are not as computer aware who have been upgraded to Win10 without apparently choosing to upgrade, so even if they did know about Drivers, and could download them and install them, they didn't seem to get the chance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan 18 19.3k 6 England
31 May 2016 2:50AM
You check first and make sure its compatible.

Places to look are motherboard manufacturers web sites or your pc builders website if your pc was built for you.

I think some of you just like to argue for the sake of it Smile

Quote:but there are a lot of people who are not as computer aware who have been upgraded to Win10 without apparently choosing to upgrade

This is the bit I don`t get, you usually get a wish to continue button or the like before the upgrade goes ahead, you are given options.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
31 May 2016 5:43PM
Seriously, I mean seriously, do you really think W10 is worth the effort? I certainly don't. I see it as a more convenient system for Microsoft, not its customers. If it doesn't work perfectly, with no hitches, the first time, it's a faulty program. I only use the stuff, I don't build or repair it. Nobody in their right mind will ever pay a penny for W10.
Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
31 May 2016 5:55PM

Quote:Seriously, I mean seriously, do you really think W10 is worth the effort?

Of course it is.

Like it or not, Windows 10 is the (Windows) OS of the future and however much people hang on to its predecessors, like drowning men clutching at straws, eventually, they're going to have no choice but to let them go.
Forums fill up with comments from people who've had a problem with it because they're either looking for an answer or they simply want to complain, usually, for the sake of it.
As with an update to any piece of software (because that's all it is) there will be some that go more smoothly than others.
Now, I'm not going to pluck figures out of thin air and I have no reliable database to fall back upon but I'd suggest that it's more than fair to say that for everyone that's making a fuss over their less than positive experiences with Windows 10, there are hundreds of thousands, probably millions, for whom the whole transition has gone smoothly and without a hitch.
They just aren't all filling up forums to tell us so.
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
31 May 2016 5:58PM
I wonder how many of us are moving to Apple because of W10?
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
31 May 2016 6:06PM

Quote:I wonder how many of us are moving to Apple because of W10?

Not me.

I just went with Apple from the beginning
31 May 2016 6:07PM

Quote:I wonder how many of us are moving to Apple because of W10?

Probably not very many.
There was some talk along those lines when 10 was first released but I don't think that very many people actually migrated.
To do so would cause all kinds of problems with your software; you'd need to replace a lot of, if not all, of it, which kind of negates it as a sensible option for nearly everybody.
Then, of course, there's the cost.
You'd have to be really blinkered to consider it.
It's certainly not a subject that's raised its head as a serious issue in any of the forums that I inhabit.
redhed17 13 864 England
31 May 2016 6:16PM

Quote:You check first and make sure its compatible.

Weren't M$ supposed to check this before telling you that it was OK to upgrade? :-/

Quote:Places to look are motherboard manufacturers web sites or your pc builders website if your pc was built for you.

The vast majority of users have no idea about their Motherboards and Drivers. I also have no numbers to back this up, Wink but if you ask any non techy person what their Motherboard is, or what Drivers are, and you will get a very puzzled look.

Quote:I think some of you just like to argue for the sake of it Smile

I hope that wasn't aimed at me. All I have done is recount my experiences of Win10.

And as an IT Tutor I see more than most how little some people know about computers, and that is not only students, but also colleagues who have owned, and been using computers for many years. A lot of people assume a level of competence, that is in reality, nowhere near their own for the vast majority of people. When you know the answers, for some, it is hard to comprehend others not knowing such simple things. :-/

Quote:but there are a lot of people who are not as computer aware who have been upgraded to Win10 without apparently choosing to upgrade

This is the bit I don`t get, you usually get a wish to continue button or the like before the upgrade goes ahead, you are given options.

Again, I've seen reports on other sites of it happening, and that may or may not be because of the confusing/sneaky pop up M$ sent a lot of people. I can see how many people could have been fooled by that, even if others can't. :-/
Fma7 4 950 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2016 11:26AM
Now why would Microsoft do this

Benevolence of course.

Quote:Like it or not, Windows 10 is the (Windows) OS of the future and however much people hang on to its predecessors, like drowning men clutching at straws, eventually, they're going to have no choice but to let them go.

The OS Of The Future

in the present?

You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh.
4 Jun 2016 12:49PM
Mock all you like but the fact remains that every Windows OS that's preceded it is, soon will be, a thing of the past.
franken Plus
16 4.9k 4 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2016 11:02AM
It would appear that no everyone is happy with the way windows have gone about it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36640464
AnthonyM 14 428 2 United States
28 Jun 2016 11:29PM
If you don't like the nagging and do not want to upgrade to Windows 10; try "Never 10"
Written by a security software expert, he follows all the Microsoft guidelines for disabling Windows 10 upgrade "stuff".
So it is easy for you to run a single very simple and very small command to ensure Microsoft does not trample YOUR machine.

Note: It will not erase the 10GB of "upgrade" files. You will need to do that yourself, if you choose to do so.

You can google "Never 10" and see reviews and confirm the link before downloading (from another security nerd: never trust a link or software... verify it, and verify it a second time)

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.