Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Windows 11

hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
26 Jun 2021 9:27AM
I’m a bit grumpy this morning…. Why?

Because I’ve just discovered that my lovely very fast ….SONY VIAO …Laptop isn’t compatible for the recently announced Windows 11 free upgrade…….
\So, I have to stick with Windows 10….or…lash out for one that does….

There will be millions of non-compatible computers in landfill soon ?

Hobbo
franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2021 9:53AM
In the meantime, windows 10 is supported until 2025.
I do find it annoying as Microsoft once stated that windows 10 will be the final version and will only receive updates.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
26 Jun 2021 10:17AM
My old thing's not compatible either but I was planning to replace it some time fairly soon anyway.

Having said that, 10's still got a few years left in it so unless 11's a significant improvement in a way that's of use to me, I'm not that bothered.

Hobbo; just a thought . . .
The compatibilty tester thing doesn't actually tell you what's wrong with your machine but some digging turns up that you need to have something called the "Trusted platform module V.2.0" installed and working.
And that's what's letting quite a few people down.
Evidently, most new(ish) machines will have this but it's probably disabled in the BIOS and so, just needs switching on.
That may not be something you'd fancy doing yourself but it might be worth looking into it.
I found it on here and enabled it but it made no difference. I think mine's probably out of date.
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
26 Jun 2021 12:46PM

Quote:My old thing's not compatible either but I was planning to replace it some time fairly soon anyway.

Having said that, 10's still got a few years left in it so unless 11's a significant improvement in a way that's of use to me, I'm not that bothered.

Hobbo; just a thought . . .
The compatibilty tester thing doesn't actually tell you what's wrong with your machine but some digging turns up that you need to have something called the "Trusted platform module V.2.0" installed and working.
And that's what's letting quite a few people down.
Evidently, most new(ish) machines will have this but it's probably disabled in the BIOS and so, just needs switching on.
That may not be something you'd fancy doing yourself but it might be worth looking into it.
I found it on here and enabled it but it made no difference. I think mine's probably out of date.

Thank you and the other contributors…… I will look into them…Trusted Platform …thingy as soon As I find someone who knows.

In the meantime I’m also seriously thinking of keeping my Windows 10 ticking until I fall over…. Whilst at the same time, upping my use of the fantastic iPad Pro and Apple Pencil…. My new printer should arrive any time… both my iPhone and iPad will talk to it… and do any scanning for me, so no probs there.

Also, alll of my photo editing is done on the iPad …. Then stored on a compatible external drive ….having been using computers since before Windows 1.1 ….Amstrad green-screen word processors and dot matrix printers ruled…. …

Hobbo
petebfrance 9 3.1k France
26 Jun 2021 1:22PM
On win 10 you can search using the magnifying glass thingy at the bottom left of the screen for TPM. Mine came up with 'security processor' as a response and clicking on that I got the TPM details (mine is version 2 etc. so probably OK)
Not sure I'm all that keen on a replacement win 11, which as a fresh install does not include Skype although it leaves it in place (apparently) if installed over win 10. I use Skype a lot, and I don't know much about its replacement - would that rely on other users having it would it work with Skype etc.
Lots of questions, I suspect, and I don't think that I'd like to be an 'early adopter,' so will watch with interest.
26 Jun 2021 8:00PM
It seems that MS have updated the compatibility checker to tell you what the problem is:

HERE is a link to the article, which in turn has has a link to the MS upgrade site.

Hope this helps.

Alan P.
sjr 4 596 England
27 Jun 2021 7:08AM
Like mentioned above I suspected mine was failing because of TPM but after a bit of digging for myself most win 10 PC's made in the last 5-7 years should have TMP but may not be enabled. My issue appears to be the processor is failing the test dispite it being well above the required 1GHz Dual Core (mine is 2.9 GHz Quad Core) it is not on the list because if its age which needs to be over the 8th generation for intel which was released around August 2017
27 Jun 2021 10:50AM
Mine doesn't support "secure boot."
chataignier Plus
8 200 10 France
27 Jun 2021 4:04PM
Still quite happy with Win 7
petebfrance 9 3.1k France
27 Jun 2021 5:41PM
Oh goody, ours is OK. Now I just have to think of reasons why we should not use it which is easier than thinking of of reasons why we shouldWink
27 Jun 2021 6:43PM

Quote:Oh goody, ours is OK. Now I just have to think of reasons why we should not use it which is easier than thinking of of reasons why we shouldWink

I'm sure that there will be the usual dissenters who'll refuse to use it but realistically, they're not achieving anything.

There's a reason that OSs are upgraded/updated or replaced.
SteveAitch 3 61 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2021 3:59PM
The Health Checker doesn't like my CPU, so I've got until 2025 to save up for a new PC.

That supports Windows 12?
Paul Morgan 20 19.5k 6 England
28 Jun 2021 10:58PM
My Pc must now be a good 8 years, I would not think it would be supported so not bothered.

Had all ready been thinking about a new motherboard, CPU and ram anyway so I might even leave it for the next year or two.
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.5k 10 United Kingdom
29 Jun 2021 7:36PM
Two of our three computers will run Win 11 the third, my old laptop won't.
I'm guessing our 9yrs old Grandson won't care.

Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
29 Jun 2021 7:40PM
Brand new laptop arrived today - with Windows 10.

Does anyone know what actual operational advantages there are to Windows 11. I.e. apart from features most people will never actually use!

Any good links will be nice.Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.