Regatta Offer: Save 15% With Code 15OFF

Windows 7 home edition Printer drivers

rikewoo 18 347 1 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 5:23PM
I have had to change my computer from one that ran Windows XP Professional, to one that uses Windows 7. My printer is an Epson stylus Photo R300. The computer will not load the printer software, stating: Configuration error. Have been to Epson, but find there are no Windows 7 Driver for the printer. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, were you able to overcome it and get the computer to load the software. Have left an email requesting tech support with Epson, but know how slow they are in replying, if ever.

Am reluctant to get rid of the printer as it gives me excellent results.

Many thanks in advance.
Ken Valkeith
redsnappa 19 2.8k United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 6:18PM
Epson will not release windows 7 drivers for this model of printer because they want you to go out and buy a new epson printer.

Epson wants your money but will not provide quality customer support service. Choose your next printer purchace more carefully.
26 Nov 2011 6:28PM
According to this you could try a Win XP 64 bit driver. Possibly worth a try.

Paul
dcash29 15 2.4k England
26 Nov 2011 6:43PM
User_Removed 11 299 4 France
26 Nov 2011 8:01PM
I have a little trick that may be worth passing on...as I have an old minolta dimage scan multi 2 film scanner bought at a bargain price of 750 some years ago I have to use an xp machine in order to fit its scsi card...windows 7 and the card wont talk....I have bought a good but old pc running xp from a local private pc repairer in which I doubled the memory and installed the scsi card...I also installed my epson stylus 890 and my epson photo 2100 a3 printers...a simple network cable and I can move files from computer to computer in a shared folder to print/scan/manipulate as and when.

stuart
26 Nov 2011 8:18PM
Many thanks for the ideas. Tried downloading a Win XP 64 bit, no good, then tried using a Win Vista, as had been told by a friend that it might work. So back to the drawing board. Your comments and advise are warmly welcomed. Will now have to wait and see if Epson get back to me. Have left messages on both USA & UK sites.
Ken Valkeith
Cephus 16 2.6k England
26 Nov 2011 8:36PM
I have an Epson stylus photo R220 and windows 7 home edition. All I did was to plug in the printer and switch it on, windows 7 did the rest and it works.
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 8:45PM
Windows 7 Professional has an XP compatability mode in which you can supposedly run XP drivers. Have you tried that? Unfortunately it is not a default facility so you ahve to activate it.
26 Nov 2011 8:51PM
Got a reply from Epson UK, which has enabled me to install the drivers and now I have the use of the printer once again. Here is what they suggested:
Dear Ken,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Photo R300.

I am sorry you are having difficulty installing your printer. There is no need to download a driver from the website. Windows 7 should automatically detect and install devices attached to the computer.

Automatically Add your Product

Turn on your computer, if necessary.

Turn on your printer.

Connect the printer to your computer with the USB cable.

The printer software will be automatically downloaded and installed on your computer. Then the Devices and Printers window will display your printer.

If the software does not automatically download and install, you will need to manually add your product by doing the following:

Press Image.

Select Devices and Printers.

Select Add a printer.

Select Add a local printer.

Choose a printer port.

Locate your printer from the list and select Next.

If your product does not appear in the printers list, select Windows Update. .

Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Should you require further assistance, please reply and reference incident ID: 111126-000377. If you have a different support issue, submit a request via our Canada Support Site and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.

Jacob A.

This did work. Though not automatically, had to do it manually. Although there are 2 small problems that remain, but in all not very big and easy to overcome.
Once again, many thanks for all your suggestions. Much appreciated.
Ken Valkeith
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
26 Nov 2011 10:11PM
On a similar theme, I am upgrading to a new PC.

Currently, on my old slow one I run Windows 7 and, as well as my Epson R3000 for photographic work, I have a 13 year old HP Laserjet5 that still works perfectly for "normal" text printing. It is very fast, crisp and very cheap to run. Only problem is it connects to the PC with a parallel cable and has no USB connection.

My new computer will have no parallel port. So I went to PC World this afternoon to buy a Parallel printer cable with a USB connection. PC World did not have one and said no such thing existed. So I came home and ordered one on the internet for 2.89 including postage. But what was more alarming was that the "expert" in PC World assured me that I was wasting my time as it was impossible to get a driver for the HP printer that would work with Windows 7. He just shrugged his shoulders, as if to say, "You are being unreasonable expecting me to actually know anything", when I told his I was already running the printer under Windows 7 and that the driver was in the standard package.

.Sad
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
26 Nov 2011 10:22PM
Cheers Rikewoo - I have just realised I have to try and get my Epson V700 scanner onto my new Win7 desktop - it looks good for being a trouble-free install. Smile
27 Nov 2011 10:18AM
Must admit, I was very surprised that Epson got back to me so fast Smile They told in a follow on email, after i told them i had been able to install the printer, that Windows 7 supports most printers/scanners, you just have to look for them following the advice they gave. Also that Win 7 does only load the drivers. Is okay, if you know the way to go Smile
Cristian 16 950 1
27 Nov 2011 8:05PM
I changed to a Windows 7 PC about 2 years ago now and couldn't get a fully working driver for my then Epson printer. I have to say that Epson support was so poor that I went out and bought a Canon printer instead and am unlikely to purchase an Epson printer again. They gave me a work around driver which allowed me to print, but I couldn't scan or see my print levels (useful eh).
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2011 8:45PM
But Cristian some Canon printers are not supported in Win7 also, so you could go round that loop again at next OS change.
27 Nov 2011 9:49PM
They tell me that the Epson printer drivers in Windows 7 are called inbox drivers, which are basic. They do not show ink levels, for which you have to click on the button below the ink tanks to show the levels (does work), is where I went wrong first time on installing the driver. Also print preview, which I must say I liked is not in the inbox driver either. So far I have had 4 email supports from Epson, which I think is exceptional for a company and well beyond my previous experiences of these larger companies.
Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.