Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

windows 7 or 8

NEWDIGIT 10 401 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 9:09AM
I will shortly be in the market for a new laptop as mine is some 6 years old and getting very slow.
As I am now an OAP my budget is limited to 500.
The lap top will be used for photo processing and the odd e mail No games or Video so any recommendations.
Im thinking along the lines of i3 or i5, 8gb ram , 1tb storage, not sure about graphics but main concern is should it be windows 7 or 8 have heard that 8 can be problematic oh and I dont see the need for a touch screen Why put sticky fingers on a screen when trying to view pics?
CTee 14 131 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 9:41AM
Windows 8 and upgrade to 8.1 for free. Why buy a new PC and not go for the latest and fastest version of the operating system. Yes it different but it is not as evil as some people portray it.

With 8.1 you can have the option to boot straight to the desktop and miss the 'Metro' screen but it is only one button push away!

If you have old devices such as a scanner you may have issues but unless you are running Win 7 with your current setup you might have issues going to Win 7 anyway. New software is now being developed for Win 8 so you will give yourself a little bit more future proofing than going for Win 7.

Checkout the compatibility of your software as well, some programs can be run in compatibility mode others just will not.

Once in the Desktop mode it is just like Win 7, there are a few hot key / mouse movements to learn which make life easier and quicker once you know them, but this is the same as any other OS.

I see you are looking at a 1TB drive, are you relying on that for all of your files or are you also (or have) budgeting for a backup device because that is an awful lot of data to store and risk if anything goes wrong or it get stolen! Remember your programs can be got again but your photos and personal data can not!!!!

Whatever you get enjoyGrin
Jestertheclown 13 8.5k 253 England
23 Jan 2014 9:56AM

Quote:With 8.1 you can have the option to boot straight to the desktop and miss the 'Metro' screen

You can do that with Windows 8 (without the .1).

In fact, it's a simple matter to set up Windows 8 to run and look exactly like Windows 7. You just need to instal a free aftermarket start menu.

Whatever you do, don't be put off by the Windows 8 naysayers.

A lot of people decry 8 and will tell you all kinds of horror stories; there have been threads on here to that effect but I have to assume that they've either never used 8 and are blindly repeating things they've read elsewhere, or they've used it but don't know how to use it properly; to its full potential.

Despite what you'll read elsewhere, there's absolutely no need to use a touchscreen and by going for Windows 8, you'll get the best of both worlds.

Bren.
23 Jan 2014 9:57AM
Thanks for the info CTee I also have a separate back up hard drive and "she who has be obeyed" also retains all sd cards separetly
23 Jan 2014 10:00AM
Ctee, Jester how about graphics do I need a dedicated graphics card some say yes but is that overkill for my needs
hawker10 9 53 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 10:11AM
just got new laptop with windows 8.upgraded to 8.1 laptop stopped me going online or using apps.it would not let me from resetting to factory setting.Amazon exchanged it (very fast ).got my new one,i made sure all windows 8 updates were loaded.loaded 8.1 everything is fine. i prefer windows 7,but soon got use to windows 8.if you can use a smart phone you can use windows 8.
23 Jan 2014 10:23AM

Quote:do I need a dedicated graphics card some say yes but is that overkill for my needs

From reading forums on other sites, with which I'm involved, I'd be inclined to say that a fairly basic card will be sufficient for your particular needs; whatever comes with a new machine should be more than adequate but I'm prepared to be proven wrong!

Quote:i prefer windows 7,but soon got use to windows 8.if you can use a smart phone you can use windows 8.

Which brings us neatly back to what I wrote earlier.
Windows 8 can be run as Windows 7 and you'd never know the difference.
There's no need at all to understand smart phones or tiled interfaces.
CTee 14 131 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 10:34AM
Ref: graphics cards realistically you only need a high end card if you are gaming or doing graphics such as 3D simulations, a dedicated card will mean that all the system memory is available for processing so there is some trade off. I would suggest going for one of the main named branded laptops and avoid the bottom end graphics options.

I would say it is worth spending the time upgrading to 8.1 before adding alternative addons for the 'start button'
mikehit 12 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 10:38AM
My wife has just bought a HP laptop from JohnLewis at a reasonable price and loaded with Win 8.1 that has already been configured to run like a Win 7 desktop Smile : unlike the Toshiba she bought from Tescos (and returned which is why she now has the JL one) which was Win 8 and we had to play with it for a couple of hours to find out how to configure it.
Although I still prefer the Win 7 set-up, it did not take much to get used to Win 8.
23 Jan 2014 10:41AM

Quote:I would say it is worth spending the time upgrading to 8.1 before adding alternative addons for the 'start button'

You need the aftermarket start button and its attached start menu to allow 8 to run as 7.

The start button that comes built-in with 8.1 only switches from the desktop to the tiles, which act as a start menu but there's no 'traditional' start menu option.
23 Jan 2014 10:47AM
I am now running Windows 8.1 and find it fine and faster than Windows 7. It was easy enough to upgrade from Windows 7. I tend not to use the apps but have it booting straight to the desktop. Took a while to convince myself of the benefits of Windows 8 but i find it ok.
23 Jan 2014 11:04AM
Thanks folks seems that my ideas were along the right lines.
Will have to get out and about and see whats on the market.
Recently read review of the Acer Aspire V3-571G-53214G50 seems pretty much what I was looking for trouble is cant seem to find them in UK anyone seen any?
23 Jan 2014 11:16AM
I have an Acer V3-771. Great laptop. Got it at a great price from Amazon.
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2014 11:43AM
HPalin 13 30 Finland
23 Jan 2014 11:48AM
Win8.1 works for me, easy to use, and is safer than win7!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.