Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Windows Creator update

Tianshi_angie 4 2.6k England
10 Oct 2017 12:40PM
I am being pressed to update my Windows 10 to Windows Creator. I did downoad this a few weeks ago and it rendered my screen totally unusable and I could find no way to correct what had been done to it. The colours were bad, the text tiny and unreadable and my familiarity with everything on it had disappeared. So I then restored back to my original Windows 10 which is usable. However I am now getting messages throughout the day to upgrade. Anyone else experiencing problems with Creator ( I understand there have been bugs which are being fixed)? And is there no escaping this Big Brother!?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rambler Plus
11 1.0k 17 England
10 Oct 2017 1:05PM
No Messages but if the news yesterday, that Microsoft is to abandon it's mobile version of windows 10 and develop a new version, is correct I think you are being urged to be a guinea pig.
The history of Microsoft is littered with failed and abandoned versions of windows. Version 10 was free because they wanted to test it on the public. Sad

Ken
PRC 5 213 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 2:08PM
I updated a laptop in July and it went well so then I updated my desktop. That didn't go so well; it left some niggling problems, one or two of which have been solved recently, but others remain. There' a short thread here
10 Oct 2017 2:32PM
Thanks for that. For the moment I will try to avoid the update. As I have the 'restricted Wifi' ticked hopefully they will not do it behind my back.
banehawi Plus
15 2.1k 4036 Canada
10 Oct 2017 3:05PM
No real issues with the update. I did have to get the latest driver for my graphics card; didnt have as bad an experience as noted, I just lost the calibrated profile which ended up in updating the driver. I found that when waking from sleep, wifi was not coming on, so I had to set the power option to power off wifi when in sleep, which oddly worked perfectly.

Re the comments re poor update history with Microsoft, - have never had any major issues. OSX though is a different discussion altogether!
chalkhillblue 10 164 2 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 7:12PM
Angie, you may well be being urged to update to windows 10 creator version as the next major update (Windows 1- fall creators update)
is due to commence rolling out from approximately 17 October onwards. Your previous problems do also seem to indicate possible
Graphics card driver problems, it might be worth checking out.
David
chalkhillblue 10 164 2 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 7:44PM
Sorry, above should read (windows 10-fall creators update).
David
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 7:50PM
My PC tried to update a few weeks ago and failed several times but this caused me no problems as I remained V1607. Advice from MS was to run their Upgrade Troubleshooter which I downloaded and ran. This deleted the Creator Upgrade and restored registry settings. The result was W10 V1703 was downloaded afresh and eventually installed. All seemed well and I continued to use my PC for the rest of that day. Next morning I powered up and it took 15mins until the Login and after a further 2 hours it was still not fully booted. I discovered that W10 believed I had only 512Mb of RAM whereas I have 16GB which the bios still recognised. I restored to an image back-up of the C drive from a couple of days earlier and was back where I started. At least once a day my PC tries to install 1703 but fails early in the process and this does not interfere with my use. I will have to run the trouble shooter again sometime but keep putting it off as I fear the result will be the same. My Wife's PC upgraded from 1607 to 1703 without any issues.

Dave
Euan65 Plus
2 316 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 9:02PM
I didn't have any problems with this update.

A handy tip - be ready to re-install your driver software after a major Windows update. Every time Windows 10 does a major update, my Epson scanner stops working. I reinstall the scanner drivers and it works fine again.

You should re-install your graphics card drivers.

Euan
Fma7 4 985 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2017 10:35PM
Windows 98's still running just fine Tongue
Big Bri 18 16.5k United Kingdom
11 Oct 2017 8:57AM
Only issue I had on one machine from the latest major update was Control Panel wouldn't open. A small amount of Googling found that I still had an old .CPL file for some random printer I don't own, and this was not compatible - deleted it and everything is fine again.

If you have problems with the update, there is usually plenty of help on the web to fix rather than downgrade.
11 Oct 2017 9:51AM
Thanks everyone gor your replies. I will resist downloading it until I have at least a couple of days to spend trying to fix everything. My feeling was that it was Windows/Microsoft doing a 'Google' so that they could force you into highways and byways which your not interested in, but besides that I found it unnavigable - that is the problem for me. Because I use PS a lot I do keep my Grphics drivers (both) up-to-date but will note tht the update may disrupt that. Much appreciated from everyone.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.