Windows not allowing default apps to be ascribed by me.

25 Oct 2020 12:03PM
This morning I have attempted to ascribe some new photos to Photoshop 2021 and the option to do this does not appear. I knew that Bridge had its own ascribing function so tried to do it there but Photoshop is not an option - Windows have removed this as a preference. I am sure there is a way round this - help please.
shagnasty 14 64
25 Oct 2020 12:36PM
Angie, try this
Open File Explorer
Navigate to a location where photographs are.
Select an image and then right click
Select Properties from the bottom of the list
When the properties open it will show the type of file....say NEF,
Underneath the line begins with "Opens with".....and the name of the program that windows currently has as the default
Click on the Change button and a further screen wil appear showing some other options. Photoshop & Lightroom are there on the listings
for my setup, yours might be different. Make your choice and then click on Apply in the bottom corner, then OK to close the window down
Job done
Test it to check that things are now working in the way you wish
Hope this helps Pat
25 Oct 2020 1:20PM
Hi Pat - thanks - but ......yes that was one of the first things I did but it doesn't accept Photoshop.exe - which is pretty extraordinary.

I have gone through Bridge and ascribed all the file types that it shows so I'm hoping that will facilitate PS as well, but from time to time Windows does this and will only ascribe the apps that Windows itself provides!
shagnasty 14 64
25 Oct 2020 2:38PM
Although Windows has indeed made these changes it is a follow through to the changes that you have authorised during the recent Photoshop and Lightroom update. Part of that sequence was to remove the older versions (and that resulted in the links going too). In the interim Windows tried to be useful / helpful by linking what might be appropriate settings.
The longer way

From the Start Button go to Settings
Then Choose Apps & features
When that screen opens click on Default Apps on the left column
The right hand pane will populate with some data, but you need to scroll down to "Choose default applications by file type"
It will take Windows a few seconds to populate te screen with details
Scroll through the list looking for your photo image types......raw files such as NEF, CRW or DNG
Just deal with the types that you normally work with
Sometimes you will see a plus sign and the words choose default, or there is an icon already there. Click on the icon and choose from the listing.
Option 2
At other times, you might have some luck with trying the menu when looking at a file. Right click and there could be an option in the menu for "Open with"
Put a tick in the box to "Always open with" otherwise your choices will be taken as temporary
If what you need isn't listed, then select Choose another app from the bottom. A "How do you want to open this file" window pops up.
If your required program isn't listed then you should click on the "Look for another app on this pc" and a window will open enabling you to navigate
in the program files section of your hard drive.
This process usually puts you in the Program Files folder.
There you will a folder named Adobe.
Double click on it to open and you will see the 3 important programs for you, namely Adobe Bridge 2021, Adobe Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop 2021.

You might not use or need both options, but others might and it could assist in restoring sanity

Hope this helps even if a bit long-winded Pat
25 Oct 2020 3:31PM
Hi Pat, I think that it has been an update of Windows that has removed the file type default settings. I updated PS etc on the 21st and have used it quite happily on every day since, I usually request that Adobe keep my settings, which they had done, but after an update of Windows overnight I am no longer able to choose PS for photos.

273254_1603639556.jpg

This is what I get when I try to ascribe a programme for photos - a choice of 'Photos' or 'look in the Microsoft store'. I have gone through the settings in Bridge and ascribed the files types that I use and they will now appear in the Windows Settings, but for the odd one that is either not included in Bridge (I don't know if there are any) or those that I don't know i.e. some Raw formats I shall have to wait until I hit that problem.

But this does not only apply to photos - it will only ascribe all file types to Windows programmes i.e. sound, text, video, etc. As for the consideration of choosing a different app - the choice is not there under any of the little extras at the bottom of the page. I know that this has happened to me before and there is a way to force Windows to allow other apps to appear, but I cannot remember what it is.
bornstupix2 3 111 1 France
26 Oct 2020 9:17PM
I have had the same problem over the last couple of days being unable to assign Camera Raw or Photoshop to my .nef files.

Both help systems couldn't help and failed to be of any use.

In the end I chose the repair or delete option on Control Panels Program option under uninstall / repair and chose to repair Photoshop (version 2021 in my case)..this has appeared to have worked as Photoshop has forced itself back as the option for .nef files as shown if you right click on a .nef image icon and look at the open or "opens with" option .

Whilst this has worked for me I am sure you will approach the whole thing with suitable trepidation should you try the same as it is more than possible your storage and workflow system is different to mine as I keep original raw files and original jpegs plus a finalized tiff and a reduced size jpeg (for internet and email use) in various folders.

Whether the problem came from a windows update or is a missed line of code in the Adobe CC update as Photoshop I have been unable to find out and whether the whole mix up will return to bite me I am unsure but as I save so many versions of my images in different places I`m a little indifferent to the possibilities.
27 Oct 2020 9:44AM
I am so glad that you have had problems - for purely selfish purposes - I am not going mad!
I too save the original Raw and a tiff but I am not so bothered about jpegs - quickly created if needed. I have to an extent solved the problem by furnishing Bridge with all the necessary file endings. I occasionally send phone photos to my laptop in order to improve them and then I have to tell the mail program to open in PS and not Photos. But I noticed yesterday that the email was ascribed to Outlook - which I don't use - but when I tried to change it I was told to 'try it and see' rather than allow me my choice, and the choices did not include anything but Microsoft. I have always felt that Windows actually think that the computer belongs to them not just the software that runs it.
28 Oct 2020 1:42PM
I had the same problem after the latest Windows update. Just right-click on the picture you want to open and go to "open with". Then go to "select another app" and go into your apps and go to Adobe - Photoshop - and select the main photoshop programme "Ps". You should then have the option to open the photo with Photoshop.
28 Oct 2020 2:00PM

Quote:I had the same problem after the latest Windows update. Just right-click on the picture you want to open and go to "open with". Then go to "select another app" and go into your apps and go to Adobe - Photoshop - and select the main photoshop programme "Ps". You should then have the option to open the photo with Photoshop.

Slight missed point here I think because one of the updates (either windows or adobe) has blocked the previous apps list from showing all the adobe options when you right clic the picture to chose the programme as you said. If you go into system tools the adobe icons wont load as an option.
I have a feeling that a new update will surface fairly soon to correct it but if both latest versions of adobe and windows have been updated recently one or the other is messing with one or the other....(technical expression) on some pcs!
28 Oct 2020 2:01PM
Ah but that is just it Umberto - I do not get a choice it is 'Photo' or 'Look fo an app in the Microsoft store' No other options are open to me and Settings is exactly the same - no choice 'try before changing' but you still get no other choice. But it is very nice to have further confirmation that others do experience the problems that I do with Windows, so thanks for your response.

And I have had similar happen in the past Charles but I have usually found a way of forcing Windows to accept other programs than their own but this time, as yet, there are no suggestions on the internet that I can find.
28 Oct 2020 2:06PM

Quote:Ah but that is just it Umberto - I do not get a choice it is 'Photo' or 'Look fo an app in the Microsoft store' No other options are open to me and Settings is exactly the same - no choice 'try before changing' but you still get no other choice. But it is very nice to have further confirmation that others do experience the problems that I do with Windows, so thanks for your response.

With my repair/re install of adobe from within the delete programmes option all seems to be ok now but if they send a new update to correct the flaws we are discussing im probably back to square -100
28 Oct 2020 2:09PM
Well that's good - I have not had to re upload my PS 2021 as it has worked fine from the start, but I haven't actually tried the default apps this morning on Windows as I rather got fed up with wasting so much time on it, but I'll have a look Charles.
28 Oct 2020 2:15PM
No - still exactly the same - for instance .cr2 files are Photos and nothing else - exactly as before even tho' I have ascribed Photoshop in the Bridge 'File Type Associations'. And as far as I know Windows have not performed any further updates.
28 Oct 2020 3:12PM
Just had a lot of updates for Windows but it is still denying that Photoshop exists on my PC. The extraordinary thing is that it has ascribed .jpg to Adobe Photoshop, but .jpeg and . .jpe are ascribd to Photos and there is no other choice.
29 Oct 2020 11:53AM
Just an update - the computer is now absolutely spot on up-to-date. So - all sorted? NO! And to me one of the strangest things is that it will not allow me to choose PS 2021 to .DNG files. Are they not something created by Adobe?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.