Windows Photo App thrashing Disk using Runtime Broker

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 11:48AM
When i fist saw windows Photos i though cool and had it running, It does very limited editing and trys to 'watch' you photos to build meta-data, face recognition etc. I did not realise it was a going to be such a parasite.

It was monitoring a few drives on my PC and also on One Drive. As my OneDrive use grew, my PC got slower and SLOWER and became unbearable.
The clue was a windows process called Runtime Broker; It runs when any of the built in Universal Apps in windows 10 is running, Runtime Broker was always busy and always hitting disk access.

Luckily good old Google found me a page saying to turn off the monitored folders (in Photos, settings) - this effectively turns Photos off as it has nothing to do - Doh, if you do relaunch it it gets busy again actively monitoring all the folders ad onedrive areas you just turned off; So you have to turn it all off again.

So now, from my PC's point of view, its like Billy Ocean might say "Suddenly life has new meaning to me"
Its really like my PC has a new lease of life and is just sitting there waiting for my next request, perhaps i can finally try processing files again with out fighting the PC.

Hope this helps some one else too.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
10 5.8k 58 United Kingdom
24 Jan 2020 11:56AM

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.