WEX Deals: Sony Summer Cashback - Claim Up To 300

Windows Photo Gallery and NEF files

StuartAt 15 1.1k 8 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2009 5:14PM
I'm having some issues with my computer, especially when running Windows Photo Gallery. My pics are a variety of different formats, and so the easiest way to view them is the Photo Gallery preview. While this worked fine back in my D70 days, the increased file size of the D300 NEFs seems to cause it a problem.

I can view individual pics without a problem but if I look through a number of files in the same folder the program slows to a crawl after about five pics and then crashes. Sometimes it complains about being out of memory, sometimes not.

Now, I'm a computer programmer by profession and this stinks of the application not releasing the memory it is using for each photo. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a solution, or should I just use a different program to view the pics (IrfanView seems to do the job)?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Wooly 14 112 4 England
1 Jan 2009 5:25PM
Have you got the latest codec installed, available from http://nikonimglib.com/nefcodec/ I look through hundreds af NEF files from my D2Xs and have not had a problem. I am running Vista on a Quad core PC with 4GB RAM.

HTH Alan
1 Jan 2009 6:50PM
Not sure if it is the absolute latest Alan, will double check.
1 Jan 2009 7:18PM
Nope that didn't help. Installed the latest, but same behaviour.

Monitoring the physical memory while cycling through the pics, each new pic consumes about 0.1Gb of memory. I have 3Gb installed and the machine complains when it gets to about 2.7Gb used. It drops back to about 0.7Gb used when I close the app. Incidentally the error shown is that Windows Explorer encountered an error... I assume this sits under the gallery app.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.