Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Wireless BB

samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Apr 2007 11:01AM
When you first buy your wireless router you normally haveto go in over a wire to set up the wireless first. It isat this stage you should set up encryption and mac filtering (add your machines mac to the allow list manually and you'll have no problems).
There is a reason that routers are shipped with the wireless disabled - so you HAVE to go in wired and set it up. It really does only take a minute to set up the encryption.
Britman 14 1.7k England
8 Apr 2007 4:10PM
Please don't use WEP. Change it to WPA.

I posted this the other day. It will stop anyone else using your connection.

Link
Superficial 14 147
8 Apr 2007 10:57PM
Yeah, WPA is better. But older wifi cards don't always support it - there's one computer on my network that can't do WPA, and that means that my router needs to be set up for WEP. Silly, but that's the way it is.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
9 Apr 2007 7:15PM
Great information, all. Many thanks from another interested browser 8-] Just about to go live on my laptop so very useful help.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2007 8:29AM
My Mac mini is a intel duo core one, so, should be fairly new. I bought it last year probably around August time. And it has the wireless airport. It worked fine before before I moved while I was still using cable moderm, now I am using ADSL moderm/router.

I will look into WPA.

As I said earlier, I won't touch Mac Filter anymore. One password required is good enough.

I only used 64 bits WEP, 128 Bits is a bit too long. Is that why my Mac Mini didn't recognise it?
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
10 Apr 2007 4:24PM
Anyone help me?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.