Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Wish List

Crazee1ady 14 16
7 Sep 2007 4:57PM
I have always loved taking pictures and gradually progressed to digital a while back. Had a Canon 300D which I partially traded with a friend for a Sat Nav and bought a 400D. I plead guilty to using a lot of auto-settings as fear and ignorance make me go all mind blank when confronted with exposures and f stops etc. I have a USM macro lens and a Sigma 70-300 zoom....... but obviously as happens we all then go ohhhhhhh I'd like to get that effect or try and experiment with one of them....

I would like to get

a flash gun
a wide angle lens
a fish eye lens
maybe a star-burst filter??

out of experience (and obviously different topics require different things) what would your priority be? What would you recommend for each of these items?

Throws gauntlet down and watch differing ideas and opinions take over ;o)

cheers

Jan
Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 5:01PM
Don't, whatever you do, buy a bl**dy starburst filter, It'll be the 1980's all over again !!!!! Smile
SteveCharles 18 2.3k 18 England
7 Sep 2007 5:05PM
No, I would say make it your #1 priority, no photographer in their right mind should be without a starburst filter.

Followed by a wide angle lens, maybe.
lobsterboy Plus
17 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 5:05PM

Quote:fear and ignorance make me go all mind blank when confronted with exposures and f stops etc.

Why not invest in a course or some books? Why get more kit when you are not fully exploring the kit you have.
Geoffphoto 15 13.5k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2007 5:06PM
I'm not in my right mind then ??

(PS Who had Picture of the Week this week ?? LOL )

PS top of my wish list right now is the new Nikon D3 Smile
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Sep 2007 5:55PM
Why bring damnation on us all with a Starburst filter........Smile

You can maul a perfectly good image in Photoshop or other software to get that effect.

Wide angle Yep, That would be good probably a Sigma 10-20 .......Smile

BUT a Fisheye......Are you serious......Firstly have you seen what they cost.......LOL.....Sad

Again you can do a great impression of a Fisheye in most softwares, This would be a lot cheaper for when you get bored with it.....Smile

Top of my current wish list Nikon D3........Drool....Slurp.....Drool.....Smile
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
7 Sep 2007 7:10PM

Quote:(PS Who had Picture of the Week this week ?? LOL )

Oh, did you Geoff? How could that have escaped my attention....? :-]
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
7 Sep 2007 7:12PM
Serious answer and in order:

A wideangle lens
A flash gun (depends on your style of photography, though)

Forget the rest.
samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2007 7:05AM
My serious answer - None!
Get to know your current gear inside out before you spend more cash on more gear. Having lots of kit only complicates things unless you are totally comfortable with what you already have.

Quote: plead guilty to using a lot of auto-settings as fear and ignorance make me go all mind blank when confronted with exposures and f stops etc

As lobsterboy says, get a few books, put the cash towards an evening class or something...

When I bought my first slr itwas a manual thingy with a fixed 50mm lens and it was almost a year before I bought anymore kit, I didn't even have a flashgun - I just learned the basics inside out and that stood me in good stead in the years to follow.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.