Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

would you buy a pentax camera

13 Jan 2017 8:46PM
looking at the camera market outside nikon and canon have never seen anyone use a pentax
petebfrance 9 3.0k France
13 Jan 2017 10:56PM

Quote:...........have never seen anyone use a pentax

we are very discreet, us Pentax usersWink
santhia 5 2
14 Jan 2017 8:38AM
Discretion sums us up, be a shame if people realised just how good they are!!
Belleyeteres 10 264 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2017 9:34AM
I have had Pentax ME super many years ago. I got back in to photography and brought a Pentax K5 then a few years ago upgraded to Pentax K3. I was going to upgrade to the Pentax K1 full frame for my 60th birthday. Unfortunately I am going to have to sell all my photography kit due to myself now suffering from health problems and being made to wait months for hospital treatment and the bills still have to be paid.
Also due to my health problems my wife who has Parkinson's and dementia has now had to go into a care home because I am no longer able to care for her 24/7.
When I get my health back on track and have the funds again I will be buying Pentax again. I would not think about buying anything else.
Chrism8 14 977 28 England
14 Jan 2017 10:24AM

we are very discreet, us Pentax usersWink

We Pentaxians don't want the world knowing how good they are, we know that already, it wouldn't be the exclusive brand that it is otherwise, Tongue

Currently run a K1 / K5iis and a 645
thewilliam 12 6.1k
14 Jan 2017 10:55AM
Over the years, Pentax has given us some great cameras but they do seem to lose their way every now and again.

I started serious photography with a Pentax Spotmatic that was one of the all-time classics and the lenses were second to none. The 6x7 has been another classic but I stopped using both when I had reliability problems back in the mid 1970s. Then, at a recent trade fair, I had a play with their digital 645 and was very impressed indeed.
PRC 6 299 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2017 11:06AM
I had a Pentax film SLR and it was easy to go to a Pentax DSLR (a K100D) because I could use the old lenses. I was very pleased with the K100D and have stayed with Pentax. I now have a K-r and a K-3ii and I'm still very happy with Pentax. The only downside is that there are fewer third party lenses and accessories available for the Pentax range.
14 Jan 2017 11:23AM
We are the same with our car choices, often worrying what others think even if in reality it is a better product for our needs.
If it is what you want go for it and put your woolly jumper away

SteveSmile
icphoto 19 2.7k England
14 Jan 2017 3:32PM
I use a Pentax 6x7 Medium Format film Camera. I bought it in 1975 and still use it alongside my Nikon DSLR's, perhaps not as often as I should though!
GeorgeP 13 62 26 United States
14 Jan 2017 3:42PM
If you have a special need (extreme ISO, or ultra-fast shooting speeds for example) then maybe there is a specific manufacturer’s model you should choose. For the rest, the camera is not the problem when producing great photos. It is the person taking the photo. So, for me, the choice of Pentax was influenced by experience with film models and backward compatibility with millions of old and third-party lenses that were available at reasonable prices. Those lenses are still available – but the bargains are now rare. Worse, some third-party manufacturers have stopped producing products in a Pentax mount.

I am happy with Pentax and if (when?) I upgrade my current body, it will most likely be another Pentax. The K-1 seems to be everything I could ever need but it would also be nice to try a K-3II. But, realistically, short of a mechanical fault, it will be some time before I spend money - do I really need to be at the cutting edge? I am happy with my current Pentax - even if folks do look at it strangely. However, if I was starting all over again, I might be tempted to look closely at a CanNik – if only because the grass is always greener on the other label.
14 Jan 2017 6:09PM
Pentax ........... Some poeple have a problam with the brand(like skoda).

Pentax K50 and KS1

Regards
14 Jan 2017 6:11PM
And a Spotmatic SP.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
14 Jan 2017 7:14PM
My reason for leaving the Pentax fold back in the 1970s was quite simple.

I'd had to repair the meter in all 3 of my SPF bodies with a second failure in one of the bodies. Also, some of my lenses were wearing out. Rather than buy new Pentax, I changed to Nikon (which I've used ever since) even though the Spotmatic design was the nicest to use of any camera that I've ever owned.

Cameras are just tools for me.
JackAllTog Plus
12 6.2k 58 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2017 9:23PM
As pentax was my first, before selling it to got to college etc - yes i;d love to give them another. But as GeorgeP says above - unless you have a specific need - they are probably all more of a muchness.

Give me an excellent piece of glass though and i'll be even happier.

I like the low light ability of my 6d, does pentax beat that!
banehawi Plus
16 2.4k 4227 Canada
15 Jan 2017 12:25AM
Used a Pentax film camera for many years, very well made.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.