Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Would you buy an EOS 5D Mk2?

rhody 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2009 5:48AM

Quote:Quote:Quote:Would you buy an EOS 5D Mk2?Ermmm...

No.Me neither - i would go for the original 5D, that is a great camera for 700

Totally support this view. The original 5D is awesome value for today's prices.

I have a 5D and love it but am thinking of D700 instead of 5D Mk II at the next upgrade.
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
7 Aug 2009 10:32AM
No I would not buy a 5D / 5DMKII.

I was contemplating it for a while but then my suspicions about build / weather proofing were confirmed. A friend of mine lost TWO of them to the rain at Glastonbury, then two more people lost one each to rain and spray over the next couple of weeks..

Bottom line they just are not durable enough for what I want..
As a user of 1DMKIIN / MKIII's I found the 5Ds' to be a bit plasticky and I HATE that stupid dial on the top plate that is so easily knocked when the camera is on the shoulder. You raise the camera to your eye and it has been knocked out of mode resulting in missed pictures.

So I got 1DsMKIII instead!! Smile
ckristoff 16 994 Wales
13 Aug 2009 6:22PM
Lucky you Samfurlong!

I may be missing something, but just what is so important about weatherproofing?

A couple years ago, I used my Eos 3 in the pouring rain, and I didn't experience any problems with the camera or the slides?

Are dslr's inherently fragile? I can't say I've used my 450D in the rain as yet, but I wouldn't be afraid of doing so - but not on a tripod, I should add, only handheld!

Frank.
mark_delta 13 1.3k
13 Aug 2009 7:30PM

Quote:I used my Eos 3 in the pouring rain,

Yes that had environmental sealing.
try the same trick with your 450d and it will have the shelf life of a prawn curry..
A photojournalist can not have a day off because it is raining, the gear has to work in all weathers all of the time.
I saw a fellow shooters 5dmkii pack up at a military funeral in the rain, and it was not pouring just fine drizzle.
I lent him one of my old 1dmki I carry as spares until he gets it fixed.
the 5dmkii requires a new circuit board at 575 + vat
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
13 Aug 2009 9:24PM
Remember that Sam's a press tog and has to be out in all weather so needs something that's going to stand up to that.

Me, I have the choice of not going out in the rain so my 5D & 5D MKII do me fine. (Stupid dial and all. Wink)
ckristoff 16 994 Wales
14 Aug 2009 9:32AM
Mark and Kris,

thanks for your comments. Silly old me - and I don't even like prawn curry!! Smile

Time to put a new battery in my Eos 3, and discover the mysteries of manual mode!

Frank.
25 Aug 2009 2:52PM
if i win the lottery.this would be my dream camera.
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
8 Oct 2009 1:23PM
Jay44 15 1.4k Wales
8 Oct 2009 10:33PM
I was dragged screaming into the digital world, and now I would never go back. What are you waiting for!
toneb75 11 187 England
9 Oct 2009 4:31PM
Would I order one? Yep and I just have, with the 24-105mm Kit Lens from Currys - 2391 with discount code........haven't been this excited since Christmas 1985 when I got my Action Man Training tower Grin Boys and their toys eh! Wink

Now just need to sell my 400D, lens and grip to help pay towards it Sad
9 Oct 2009 4:34PM
got one Grin
MikeA 16 1.3k England
10 Oct 2009 2:58PM
Interesting comments above, I guess drizzle / rain are not classified as moisture Wink

Quote:EISA AWARDS FOR CANON

Among the EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) awards for 2009-2010 are the EOS 5D Mark II (European Advanced Camera) and EOS 500D (European SLR camera). The judges commented:

"The Canon EOS 5D Mark II is a worthy successor of the EOS 5D. The principle features remain the same: a full-frame sensor in a relatively compact body, but Canon has added extra professional features such as sealing against the ingress of dust and moisture and functions like Live View, sensor cleaning and a 1080p HD-movie mode. Despite the increased resolution of 21 million pixels, Canon has been able to reduce noise levels to below those of the 5D, which is a great achievement."

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.