Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Wrecked photo

patters 16 1.8k 1 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 8:02PM
Hello folks
A friend has a pic of his mum, the only one in existence, and its wrecked. Its in my portfolio. Its badly water damaged, the glass is broken and the photo is stuck to it. How would you go about attempting a fix up? The one in my portfolio was simply taken with a camera. I would try and scan it if I thought anything could be done

Any thoughts appreciated, like he said, anything would be better than nothing

cheers
pat
8 May 2012 8:37PM
Tough one. I would take a scalpel and run it under an edge for about 5mm. If the photo appears to survive then you could go further etc etc.

Hang on, you could try and steam it free from the glass? Maybe more moisture could undo the moisture that has held it in the first place?

Good luck mate.
janeez Plus
12 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 9:38PM
I believe there is a company out there that can restore old photographs. I will try and find out who it is. They were featured on a TV programme recently where they restored an old photograph from someone on the Titanic. Try taking a high res image as well before you try and take it away from the glass. If it is stuck then more damage could be done trying to remove it.
janeez Plus
12 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 9:39PM
Here is one company
janeez Plus
12 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
8 May 2012 9:43PM
Here is another. Several out there but a couple of them show badly damaged images that they have restored.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
8 May 2012 11:03PM
I honestly wouldn't try to remove it. As Jane suggests, leave it to the experts. My father got some photos of his parents restored a few years ago and they did an amazing job. Unfortunately I don't know which firm it was and, sadly, dad is no longer around to ask.
bagman 10 65 United States
8 May 2012 11:30PM
DON,T REMOVE IT FOR IT WELL REALLY DAMAGE IT. Photography with soft box lighting.IT well not be easy but it can be do.
then in photo shop or other software. I repaired many this way and i am sure no pro. I have repaired tears, rips, missing pieces but colors are harder for me.
Frank.
rambler Plus
12 1.0k 17 England
9 May 2012 12:05AM
The photo is what's holding the glass together, do not try to remove it or you will destroy it.
Photograph it as suggested or with a polarising filter so as to avoid reflections and then send off the digital file.

Ken.
9 May 2012 8:45PM
thanks folks, will look into a little further, one other option is to get a simple shot and then get and artist to create a picture or painting of it. I'll report back how we do
10 May 2012 8:08PM
And the winner is Trev_B who done an amazing job

Bigup Trev, no idea how you acheived that, but again, big thanks Smile

Cheers
Patters

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.