Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

XP Home boot issue

Stuarty 16 122 England
19 Aug 2009 3:51PM
It took several attempts to get my XP Home pc to fire up this morning. Each time it hung at the first black screen - the one which identifies the processor and gives the option at the bottom of the screen to enter the boot menu or setup (neither worked) Eventually it fires up and I have spent some time defragging disks, checking for viruses and spyware before taking what I hope is now a clean back up. The question is: is the problem - which I suspect will return - most likely be the system disk or could it be something else, like the motherboard. I would assume disk but am no expert.

Many thanks for any illumination.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Aug 2009 3:56PM

Quote:most likely be the system disk

That would be my first suspect, Its time to back everything up and prerpare for a new hard drive.....and all the pain that goes with it.

Before you loose it, Make sure you have gathered all the drivers/system drivers onto disc or usb memory....!!

Its always best to be prepared for the worst...Wink
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
19 Aug 2009 3:56PM
Make sure everything is backed up to an external hard drive now! I had a full system failure last week and had to restore ot factory settings. Lost all software (luckily all images were on a hard drive). Turned the pc on and, as you say, got nothing. Just a black screen saying windows failed to start. Tried everything to get it going without success. I'm still having internmittent problems with drivers etc and the other day my keyboard stopped working. Still don't know why it happened (using Vista). Anyway, back up now..
Paul
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Aug 2009 4:08PM
Paul, Sounds like you may have a similar problem, ie: Potential hard drive failure, Drive corruption, Or cranky system drivers.....!

Either way HDDs are not that expensive, Start from scratch, New drive, Then re-load everything, Making sure to install all " Service Packs " Vista to SP2 and XP to SP3, Before anything else, This includes system drivers.....Smile

Generally I run Win-Update ( assuming the LAN chip is working on native drivers, If not install them alone ) Before anything else gets loaded...!!!

Oh! Make sure you have the latest " BIOS " in your maninboards...Wink
BubbaG2000 13 767 1
19 Aug 2009 4:36PM
JUST experienced a hard drive failure the other day! DAMN YOU MAXTOR!!!!
paulcr Plus
16 1.5k 9 Ireland
19 Aug 2009 4:43PM
And my pc is only about 18 months old..
Thanks for the info Vnce but I really didn't understand most of it Smile
Paul
cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
19 Aug 2009 5:23PM
on the off chance, just make sure your memory chips are secure in their slots and that all cables are connected.

I out is some new memory recently and it all went black until I found out what I had done wrong.

Good luck
Stuarty 16 122 England
19 Aug 2009 5:32PM
Many thanks. Will research HDDs etc before switching off! I have had 2 disks fail before - only one caused major problems but I generally have up to data data backups. However, it's system files that are the problem and applications downloaded (legally) off the Net in terms of recovery. My system cd is only a product recovery disk (and the vendor is long gone, of course). Having had similar problems before I tried Acronis in order to clone the system, but Acronis really b68*&^%£*&^%*^ed up the system and I still have remnants that Acronis cannot tell me how to get rid of. So for the last year or so I have run XP with Windows.1, with abortive Windows and Windows.0 still sitting on the system. Due for an early, very early (or late) spring clean.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.