Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Yongnou 565EX II

beeza410 10 32 1 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2014 5:12PM
I have got a 565II, buggered if I can get it to work wireless with my Canon 600D unless the on camera flash fires
EddieAC Plus
15 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2014 6:22PM
You can try Yongnuo YN622 Wireless ETTL Flash Triggers to fire your flash.

If you don't need them to be ETTL compatible then you can try These . I have a set of these for Nikon that I use to trigger my flashgun if I don't want to use the pop up flash.

The other option would be to buy an off camera flash cable but flash triggers give you much more freedom of movement.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2014 8:52PM
The Canon 600D doesn't have in-built wireless transmitter so the only way to fire the flash is with the camera on-board flash.
24 Feb 2014 12:46PM
Sorry to contradict you Mike but please refer to manual and website
24 Feb 2014 1:30PM
From the manual:

Quote: The camera’s built-in flash can work as a master unit with Canon Speedlites having a wireless slave feature and wirelessly trigger the Speedlite(s) to fire

Igventhat 'wireless' means 'no wires' (obviously!) is the wireless function provided by a pulse of light from the on-camera flash, or is there a gizmo in the flashunit that sends a non-optical beam? As I understand it the on-camera flash still fires a weak beam even if set to 'off' for purely off-camera flash.
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2014 3:56PM
I have a Canon 650D and have no problem triggering my Youngnuo 565EX. I assume you have enable Easy Flash Control on camera, enabled optical control of the flash gun (the focus assist beam will flash on/off) and have set the same channel & group both on the camera and flash gun?

From my experience, this system only work well in door. In bright light, it is not reliable.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
24 Feb 2014 4:09PM
sounds like a "flash" rather than "radio" wireless system

Which are totally useless outside
24 Feb 2014 4:44PM
Now I am confused, lots of videos on YouTube show it working with no on-board flash firing. I am going to The Photography Show, so I will pester the Canon guys
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
24 Feb 2014 5:03PM
do any cameras have in-built radio triggers ?

I've not heard of any - but things move on quick these days....

I know loads do ETTL triggering via the flash - which is like buying a chocolate fire guard
24 Feb 2014 5:14PM

Quote:Now I am confused, lots of videos on YouTube show it working with no on-board flash firing. I am going to The Photography Show, so I will pester the Canon guys

If you look up 'Canon 600D wireless flash' you will see plenty of comments that the 600D fires a small amount of light even if the on-camera flash is not being used and they complain it adds light they do not want. In my experience with the 7D (same generation as the 600D) this is a problem with really close up work (I do waterdrops) but not so with longer distances so if you can put a small deflector over the flash you can just about get away with it.
With wireless triggers (optical or otherwise) they have to be line-of-sight to the flash, but with radio triggers so you can use it if there is an obstacle between camera and flash. The Youngnuo versions are a decent price.
24 Feb 2014 7:33PM
Apologies conferred, it seems I will have to use Canon flashes if I want any form of success, I found this http://www.p4pictures.com/2011/03/easy-wireless-flash-on-the-new-eos-600d/ I have got a transmitter and set of receivers, but I wanted to control the gun from my camera. Double bugger it!
25 Feb 2014 8:53PM
No sure what you mean you have to use Canon flashes. I use my on board flash to control Youngnuo flashguns without any problem at all. No need to buy transmitter and receiver.
25 Feb 2014 9:48PM

Quote:No sure what you mean you have to use Canon flashes. I use my on board flash to control Youngnuo flashguns without any problem at all. No need to buy transmitter and receiver.

Thank you for your comment Duratorque I was hoping to use radio transmission so as not to get direct light from the on board flash to give me more control of the light direction
25 Feb 2014 10:37PM
OK. For info, I've also have a set of Youngnuo YN622C. They work very well with my Youngnuo 565EX very successfully. Very reliable. Compared to the cost of the Canon system, very reasonable.
26 Feb 2014 11:58AM
Cheers Duratorque, I will look into those triggers, I have got a few older Canon Flashes I may be able to put those to good use as well

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.