Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

gaelldew 12 376 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2016 12:12PM

Quote:Great forums don't go away, they just run and run ........

Seems to be running through deep mud lately.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 11 6.1k
23 Nov 2016 12:33PM
I know of one wedding photographer who, during the good 'ol days of film, proudly stated that he never used a light meter.

One day, his printer confided in me that he was turd-polishing much of the time because the exposures were all over the place. Those of us who did printing during our formative years, or used tran film on a regular basis, would have understood the importance of getting exposures right.

Some photographers like Bailey still do much of their own printing and this comes in very useful whenever somebody else prints for them. Such photographers know what's possible or practicable so they know when to reject a sub-standard print.

When it comes to their qualifications, the professional associations like BIPP or MPA take the view that the applicant takes responsibility for print quality by accepting the work and not asking the lab to re-print.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2016 4:43PM
Can you call yourself a printer if you don't have a camera?
29 Nov 2016 11:27AM
All of the above (I think, only skimmed most of it) starts from the assumption that the final objective of any photo must be a print. To my mind this has been overtaken by events. There was a time when the only way to display a photo was by means of a print - no longer true. Our photo club uses a high quality projector to display and share photos - not the same I hear you say - but we dont claim that it is the same, only that it serves our purpose perfectly well.

As active photographers there is no way that we are going to print and display hundreds of photos per year - screens and projectors are the final output for 99% of our photos, printing is simply no longer a part of the process.

I can and do call myself a photographer and rarely print at all.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
29 Nov 2016 12:53PM
Apart from the odd enlargement to hang on the wall, I haven't printed out anything for about 8 years. I doubt I'm alone in this.

The way we share images, both still and moving, has changed radically since digital became the norm. Mindsets have yet to catch up! tongue2-light.jpg

adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
29 Nov 2016 2:24PM
For the last 40 odd years nearly all of my photography (pre digital) was taking transparencies for projection. These would be used to give illustrated lectures, or to make audio-visual sequences for showing to different groups. I suppose the talks could have been done with prints but I'd really struggle to give an AV show by slowly passing one print over the top of another. Now the digital age is here some of the image transitions I use could not be replicated with prints. Unless I screwed them up, or set fire to them maybe.
So I suppose, I'm not really a photographer.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
29 Nov 2016 5:14PM
Organisations seem happy enough to receive a link to a simple web album containing photos which they have commissioned. In fact, this is preferred as a means of (if necessary) letting everyone in that organisation see the images.

Doesn't have to be anything fancy either - in my admittedly limited experience of such things.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.