Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

Your Coronavirus plans?

JackAllTog Plus
11 5.9k 58 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 8:40AM
It seems unfettered travel is spreading the virus, largely affecting international holiday makers. So It's probably inevitable that the UK gets affected in the general population soon.

So if you get go flu like symptoms are you going to self isolate. - take two weeks of work until you are better?
Will your employer support this?

Will you have enough tins of beans to see you through 2 weeks?

Once you have had it are you then ok for a year? Will the flu jab next year protect you?

What will gig economy delivery drivers do?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 9:47AM
I can answer one question clearly: corona virus is NOT the same thing as the flu (although the early symptoms are similar). The flu vaccine is for the FLU not for corona. There is currently no vaccine available for corona.
franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 10:38AM
The problem with flu vaccine is that it's different each year and based on what type of virus is expected and may not protect everyone. It's better than nothing though.
brian1208 16 11.7k 12 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 12:07PM
All I can do is reiterate that classic saying "Don't Panic Mr All Tog!" Wink

I've long thought that humanity deserves to become extinct having been consumed by grue from a variant of the common cold, with luck this may do it instead
Tianshi_angie 5 2.9k England
26 Feb 2020 12:11PM

Quote: It's better than nothing though.

But is it?

I had flu when I was about 14 and I have never had it since in spite of being attached to a number of schools and was therefore more liable to pick up anything that was going. I believe that the virus I had at 14 has given me immunity to all types of flu and have therefore never had the vaccination although as I suffer from asthma it has been available to me for as long as it has been in existence.

BUT the coronavirus is very different - no-one has a natural immunity to it as this is its first appearance and this is the reason why everyone is susceptible to it. I think it is wise to take sensible precautions - air travel I would avoid until there is a much lower occurrence of the virus. It would appear that the lockdown in China is having an effect and the new cases seem to be from folk who have been to Northern Italy. All of the cases in England have arrived from the Diamond Princess. If I believed that I had come into contact with someone who has been identified as positive I would self isolate. And food can be delivered and left outside so you don't need to count your tins of beans or become paranoid and stock up on everything you are likely to need for the next 14 days!
sandwedge 13 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 3:04PM
Self isolation and the problems two weeks away from work and public circulation will cause for a lot of people will mean they will not self isolate. It would be naive to think they would. Why? Because most people think it wont happen to them and will assume all they have got is a common cold. Meanwhile, by going to work or anywhere else, they could be spreading coronavirus haphazardly. Let us hope a vaccine can found promptly but it dosn't look likely for many months yet. .
26 Feb 2020 3:17PM
I suspect (but don't know) that if anyone who thinks they need to self isolate and they phone the 111 number then a certificate to give them 2 weeks paid off from work would be issued. It should be as the alternative is frightening.

Copied from the BBC website

Coronavirus: Will I get paid if I self-isolate? - BBC News
www.bbc.co.uk news business-51628524
1 day ago - If you can work from home, you may be able to carry on as normal, says ... a risk the employee will come to work because they want to get paid," it says. ... notice, your employer must give you time off to do so, says Ms Evans. ... Statutory sick pay (SSP) is 94.25 per week and can be paid for up to 28 weeks.
peterjones Plus
18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
26 Feb 2020 3:35PM
Not to panic and definitely not go into any kind of self, mass, epz or press induced hysteria; take life as it comes; if I contract the bug .. tough; then I keep out of the way; try not to pass it on; book my online food deliveries and get down to some serious processing, garden and table top/still life photography.
hobbo Plus
9 1.4k 3 England
26 Feb 2020 3:47PM

Quote:Not to panic and definitely not go into any kind of self, mass, epz or press induced hysteria; take life as it comes; if I contract the bug .. tough; then I keep out of the way; try not to pass it on; book my online food deliveries and get down to some serious processing, garden and table top/still life photography.

That is a....Spot-On-Positive.... response....

Well done you!

Hobbo
clicknimagine Plus
10 619 100 India
26 Feb 2020 4:11PM
It is a severe threat to India and its Population, everything from or to China is banned here...
Jestertheclown 11 8.1k 252 England
26 Feb 2020 5:45PM

Quote:(Statutory sick pay (SSP) is 94.25 per week

And of course, we can all live just as well as we do now, on that.
26 Feb 2020 6:13PM
It is only for 2 weeks - not a life time - and most companies would pay you what you are normally paid. Producing such inflammatory and negative statements is very reprehensible in my opinion.
26 Feb 2020 6:21PM
What's reprehensible about it?
"Only" two weeks on that would leave a sizeable hole in my wage packet.
I know plenty of people who'd struggle to put food o the table, faced with that.
And what about the self employed?
26 Feb 2020 8:04PM
Because creating a feeling in folk of panic and fear is the way to cause people not to take notice of the very real danger if they are exposed to the virus and DO NOT self isolate. Being alarmist in such situations will not help anyone to look at the situation with a calm outlook.
26 Feb 2020 8:35PM
Complaining about a potential loss of income. even for "only" two weeks isn't going to "create a feeling of panic" in anybody.

Neither is it alarmist; it's being realistic.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.