Claim 3 FREE professional prints with Fujifilm

Your favourite candids!

kelart 18 570
18 Jul 2004 7:16PM
ok. i've just got a looong zoom and i'm ready to stalk unaware citizens of london. and now, i'm very curious how other members cope with candid shots.
you're welcome to place links to your favourite candids (taken by yourselves or other members). are you up to this? i'm looking for some inspirationsWink

for example something like this
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
19 Jul 2004 12:53AM
Long lens for candids, kelart? I would use a a std or semi-wide. Makes focusing and framing easier, gets you nearer to the action. Just stop briefly, press the release and then press on!. The odds are nobody would notice.

An aquaintance of mine was using a long lens on the beach (I suspect for candids) when a well aimed pebble hit his lens, cracking the front glass element right across. It took him 3 days to get over the shock!

jas
kelart 18 570
19 Jul 2004 10:43AM
Smile i wouldn't like to approach certain people in certain parts of london with armed with a standard lens onlyWink

ok, but show me your candids folks!
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
19 Jul 2004 1:55PM
Discretion is the better part of valour, kelart!

jas
brm 18 76
19 Jul 2004 2:54PM
A shame no one has added any links to this, I've seen loads of great candids on this site, but trying to find them again is like trying to find a needle in a haystack!

Here are links to mine, not very inspiring I'm afraid, but maybe someone else will post some better ones

Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3

b
applemark 17 20
19 Jul 2004 3:33PM
Ive jus checked out bens pics. Don't be so modest they're great candids especialy the first one of the girl on the steps and the b&w background.
I took candids for a while a few years back all on slide or print Ill try to find em to scan and post em.
As for long lens or wide angle, I saw a series of pics taken with a 21mm lens, because of the wide angle of view people don't realise the camera's pointing at them,makes some very intresting pis.
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
19 Jul 2004 3:33PM
Possibly not quite what you were after as I've not yet submitted to ePhoto, but I did this the other day St Johns Ambulance on our trip to the Evesham Boat Festival. Ironically, had just taken the shot when one of the guys in our group asked me when I was going to take a candid shot! I said I just had, whereupon everyone turned to look at these two in the pic (who were right next to us) - I was already running away!
kelart 18 570
19 Jul 2004 9:24PM
ben, i remember yours and i liked them too.
markulous - yes, this is what i'm talking about. on candids like these people don't act for the camera. they are just being themselves.
kelart 18 570
19 Jul 2004 9:27PM
oh, by the way, i've uploaded my first candid shot (ha ha! not first in my life, but first taken in UK and with a digital camera)
warden
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
19 Jul 2004 9:31PM
I tend to "set up the shot": manual focus on something the same distance away and then swing around as if checking what's about and as I pass through the subject: click. But I'll admit I don't really like doing it - it smacks of invasiveness
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
19 Jul 2004 9:39PM
If you don't feel comfortable doing it - then don't! A furtive attitude is very likely to alert the 'victim' sorry 'subject' LOL

jas
UserRemoved 17 6.2k 1
19 Jul 2004 9:49PM
I agree totally, but doctor I just can't help myself Smile And, on the basis that "furtive" isn't good, don't go for that look!!
Just Jas Plus
20 26.4k 1 England
19 Jul 2004 9:53PM
Keep taking the pills! LOL

jas

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.