Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Your point of view

Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
10 May 2020 9:15PM

Quote:we have good measures in place it still requires people to comply with them.

I suppose people are taking their chances.

Supermarkets and the like obviously never closed but the smaller independents must by now be struggling.

I know of an optician who's been treating people by appointment behind closed doors and another shop owner who shall remain nameless but with whom I do quite a bit of business when I'm at work, phoned me to say that if I needed anything, I should phone him first and use the back door.

I'm also reliably informed that at least one pub that's still serving regulars, also, I assume, via the back door.

I'd imagine that, if you know the right people and where to look, that kind of thing is going on all over.
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
10 May 2020 9:46PM
One would have sensibly expected the new mantra would have been

Social Distance to Save Lives

Simply because thatís what we are all going to have to do to keep safe until either the virus is defeated or a vaccine arrives

Relaxation of rules are more significant than initially reported as people can travel
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.8k 2403 United Kingdom
11 May 2020 9:21AM

Quote:One would have sensibly expected the new mantra would have been

Social Distance to Save Lives

Simply because thatís what we are all going to have to do to keep safe until either the virus is defeated or a vaccine arrives

'Stay at home' was clear, practical, unambiguous. The new message has been rightly questioned, I gather that even the Express isn't impressed. 'Stay alert. Control the virus'. Alert to what? An incoming microscopic Luftwaffe? To the idiotic tabloid headlines of a few days ago? Control the virus - with what, a lion-tamer's chair?

BJ is a Latinist and it's a Latinist's slogan, abstract, impersonal, remote. 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori' as opposed to 'Your country needs you'.

By coincidence we caught up last night with Alastair Sooke's excellent programme on the art of WW2. Made some years ago but worth watching for the section on wartime poster slogans, why some worked and some didn't. It illustrates why this one is a dud.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
11 May 2020 2:22PM

Quote:People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis.

If angling can be classed as exercise then maybe setting up a tripod and taking pictures can be as well Smile
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
11 May 2020 7:10PM
Watching the intro to tonightís press conference...it was made VERY obvious, that WALES-SCOTLAND and N -IRELAND donít want you...
So much for our once ...pulling together UNITED KINGDOM....... it is being deliberate being destabilised led by the snp....
An underhand divide and conquer trick, done in an underhand way.... Starmer was also given prime time to do his twisting in of the knife...
All talk of democracy.... forgetting that this wonderful country of England, has taken peoples of all nations into its heart.... the devolved nationalists are showing true colours.

I feel very sad and angry this evening..

I have recently discovered that a very close relative is seriously ill with the virus...

Why the hell cant people work together.... ?

Stay safe everyone.

Hobbo
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
11 May 2020 7:18PM
On BBC TV news today, apart from the confusing stuff that is coming out from the government I saw a load of commuters leaving a train, some had masks, but none had gloves on. As they passed the exit ticket machines they were touching them one after the other and I am sure that they had been touching handles and rails inside the carriage. Surely gloves are as important as facemasks?
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
11 May 2020 7:28PM
Disposable gloves are just that; put them on to perform a task, then bin them.

If these commuters have worn the same pair of gloves for the entire journey; touching, as you say, handles, ticket machines etc., surely the gloves will be as contaminated (if at all) as their bare hands would be?
dcash29 15 2.4k England
11 May 2020 8:06PM

Quote:
Quote:People may exercise outside as many times each day as they wish. For example, this would include angling and tennis.

If angling can be classed as exercise then maybe setting up a tripod and taking pictures can be as well Smile

No

I don't see the confusion over returning to work.
If you cant retain the 2 metre social distancing, you cant go
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
11 May 2020 10:08PM

Quote:If these commuters have worn the same pair of gloves for the entire journey; touching, as you say, handles, ticket machines etc., surely the gloves will be as contaminated (if at all) as their bare hands would be?

If everybody wears them then when they get to their destination, bin them. It might remind them to not eat or touch their face.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.