Your Videos

Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
3 Nov 2015 12:46AM

Quote:only ever done shaky vids of my cats but all your stuff is inspirational. Don't know how you keep so steady or add music

My top tip is to shoot at 50fps (your GX7 will do that) then play back / edit at 25 fps which will slow it and make it smoother. It works for the kind of subject (below) quite well - notice the person running behind the cycle: Elba Park

I've also got a nice Steadicam style stabilizer, I don't use it all the time - but it's essential for extra smooth shots like that.

I add music first then try to assemble the video so it goes more or less in time. You don't have to do it that way, you can even music later within YouTube if you want

Thankfully today's editing software is quite easy to use, you can even edit video in Photoshop but I'd suggest Premiere or Vegas. They'll automatically match your source footage and even upload the end result to YouTube for you to share.

I've a whole six months' worth of stuff from that park and will edit it all into one three minute wonder during the cold dark winter Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
3 Nov 2015 1:41AM
Hmm, when I look at my collection of videos I find they have nearly all done for other people, for specific purposes/events and mostly quite a while ago. You could say they are 'workmanlike'.... but not 'artistic' in any way whatsoever!

It seems I hardly ever do video for pleasure! The odd one here and there as Christmas greetings to family and friends etc but those are just straight to camera stuff. If I find anything suitable I'll post it.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
3 Nov 2015 2:07AM
This is all I have up on youtube, it was just a sound test to see how well the GF2`s built in mics stood up to high pitch sounds etc, it was a new toy at the time.

The original video was a little more shaky from memory, youtubes tried to smooth it all out.

AlexandraSD 8 762 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2015 2:47AM
Paul, your video is beyond acceptable for the motion stabilising thing, but most folk are not as steady, it makes me laugh when i see videos of people walking and waving the camera around, then adding stabilisation later, just makes it worse really, but if you have tripod hands, like you seem to have, then the motion stabilisation post pro isn't so obvious, but people recording themselves walking uphill or moving about erratically with other movement going on is distracting specially when static objects seem to breath and wobble when they really shouldnt be!

Used windows moviemaker for a while but i switched to premiere elements about a year ago, only reason being that whenever i opened moviemaker my laptop wouldnt make a sound, literally, no sound at all anywhere until i rebooted.

No trouble with premiere 10 so far, its quite intuitive, but i do wish my laptop had more oomph, only got 4gb ram so puny compared to whats available now, but as long as i dont try to add a too many 25 minute clips at one time im usually ok, though now i try to limit each recorded clip to about 5 minutes, makes editing a bit easier i find.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
3 Nov 2015 8:27AM
Bother. The OH has just bought the new Elements 14 but not the Premier bit as we never thought we'd use it. Never mind. Oh, and I have the G5 not the GX7. Will have to look at the specs. I suppose I could use the 60D on a tripod. Smile
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
3 Nov 2015 11:35AM
I can't remember if I ever shared this YouTube vid of my "Bubble Planet" from a couple of years back when I spent a while playing at bubble photography.

Its a 4" diameter bubble with the replay speed scaled back by a factor of about 10 (in real life the convection induced rotation rushed round at an amazing rate Smile )

This type of imagery is now being used as a way of modelling atmospheric flow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44x3xov9juo
3 Nov 2015 10:01PM

Quote:Paul, your video is beyond acceptable for the motion stabilising thing, but most folk are not as steady, it makes me laugh when i see videos of people walking and waving the camera around, then adding stabilisation later, just makes it worse really, but if you have tripod hands, like you seem to have, then the motion stabilisation post pro isn't so obvious, but people recording themselves walking uphill or moving about erratically with other movement going on is distracting specially when static objects seem to breath and wobble when they really shouldnt be!

Used windows moviemaker for a while but i switched to premiere elements about a year ago, only reason being that whenever i opened moviemaker my laptop wouldnt make a sound, literally, no sound at all anywhere until i rebooted.

No trouble with premiere 10 so far, its quite intuitive, but i do wish my laptop had more oomph, only got 4gb ram so puny compared to whats available now, but as long as i dont try to add a too many 25 minute clips at one time im usually ok, though now i try to limit each recorded clip to about 5 minutes, makes editing a bit easier i find.

I was using the Panasonic 14mm, a lens that is reasonably wide, going wide reduces shake but there was some there but that seems to be removed during the upload.

The worst bit was holding the camera up above my head, it was 9 months after shoulder surgery and I found that it was still impossible Smile

This was the official video for the concert that was shown on sky, the little GF2 stood up pretty well for the sound considering and that was all I was interested in.

3 Nov 2015 10:05PM
Brian, it's interesting how much the soap bubbles look like gas giants, Saturn, Jupiter etc - probably a connection.
7 Nov 2015 3:28PM
Post more videos, here's about a minute of Fireworks shot with GH4 and mainly 45-150

Never shoot them these days but took pity on another photographer who wanted to go to a local display. He's pretty new to photography so I loaned him a tripod and away he went. I videod some, then saw a much more interesting shot of somebody smoking, shot a few more, then enjoyed the rest with my naked eyes!

Some things just look better on a big canvas like the sky rather than on a screen.

Mill House Washington Fireworks

7 Nov 2015 6:44PM
Has anyone here ever used or played with this, it does seem to get a lot of recommendations.

http://www.shotcut.org/bin/view/Shotcut/WebHome
KevSB 15 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
7 Nov 2015 7:20PM
I started to get more confident with video this year, still experimenting with ideas, My photography and videography is used more to promote my re-enactment interests rather than for the sake of photography itself, I don't spend a lot of time on each as when I get home from an event the turnaround time is quite short, so content and speed come at the cost of quality.
Her is some ideas I was playing with this year prior to going to Belgium and the 200th anniversary of waterloo.

7 Nov 2015 7:25PM
Only today I was wondering if there was a decent video editor for Linux. I've long been toying with the idea of building a Linux graphics workstation. I'd still have to have a Windows machine for Lightroom and editing photos in it but a lot of motion gfx tools are available for Linux and many were written first for Linux.

Seeing as there's a Windows version of that program it makes sense to give it a go. If it can play 4k and 2k smoothly on the timeline as Premiere does I'd be interested in trying it.

7 Nov 2015 7:28PM
Brill videos Kev, love the pre-football style interview Grin Some fab shots as well and music interwoven really well Smile
7 Nov 2015 9:25PM

Quote:Only today I was wondering if there was a decent video editor for Linux. I've long been toying with the idea of building a Linux graphics workstation. I'd still have to have a Windows machine for Lightroom and editing photos in it but a lot of motion gfx tools are available for Linux and many were written first for Linux.

Seeing as there's a Windows version of that program it makes sense to give it a go. If it can play 4k and 2k smoothly on the timeline as Premiere does I'd be interested in trying it.

Yeh I might try that or Davinci lite.
8 Nov 2015 9:23AM
There's a convergence happening.

Workflow used to be edit in Final Cut, Vegas or Premiere then send to Davinci or Speedgrade etc to grade (adjust colour, contrast etc).

Premiere CC now includes the Lumetri engine, with scopes ( explained here ). You can do a load of stuff without ever round-tripping footage to Speedgrade or Davinci.

Davinci, in return, is now evolving into a full-blown editor; it's already pretty much industry standard for colour grading. I remember the days when if you tweaked colour or contrast with your VHS or even MiniDV / Hi8 stuff you got artefacts and noise.

Today you can work video almost as much as you can work photos.

Editing stuff last night, can't decide which way to grade, bright and sunny, little bit cooler and moodier, but I deffo want to change it, bring out those rays etc Smile

250184_1446974153.jpg

250184_1446974253.jpg

250184_1446974297.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.