Your Videos

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
8 Nov 2015 7:46PM
Last night I downloaded and installed both Davinci, and Shotcut.

Davinci looks a little complicated, after the first hour I could still not suss out how to open files, this one`s going to be a bit of a learning curve.

Shotcut on the other hand is a fair bit easier to use.

It only took me about 30 minutes to get my head around it and I cobbled together a very small test video, although Shotcut has some grading built in, Davinci I should imagine would be better.

But as a free program Shotcut has it all and supports most video formats up to 4k.

Lol its 48s and the file size is a little over 500 mbs, maybe I should have used a smaller format Smile

I`ve just started uploading that little test I did last night, when its done I will include a link to it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

9 Nov 2015 10:30PM
I`ve been getting my head around Davinci and works with the colorchecker, this is going to be useful its going to make colour grading so much easier.

599_1447108156.jpg

Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
9 Nov 2015 10:48PM
There are some great tutorials on Davinci on YouTube. I was laughing about opening a file. I had the same problem! I ended up copying them from where they were to another drive cos I could work out how to get that drive to show up!!

It's a bit industrial, it's slowly getting more user-friendly. Whole new language I've been learning about Rec.709 and LOG etc.

Watch this short clip about LUTs (57 seconds in here ), you'll jump way ahead with grading, I wish I'd seen this beforeI started
9 Nov 2015 11:18PM
Yeh your right, I`ve seen loads of tutorials on Youtube, so far I`ve only watched a couple, they tend to be quite long Smile

At the mo though I can`t find a way to minimize Davinci, I find myself needing to close the program every time I want to do something else like follow a tutorial.

I find myself learning something new every day, last night I learned that Davinci can not use mpeg 3 sound files, I picked up on this only after I had downloaded them all (the sound files I thought could be useful) Smile
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
11 Nov 2015 12:54AM
Is this Davinci Lite effort worth getting to know, e.g. does it offer anything (say) Premiere doesn't?
11 Nov 2015 12:59AM
What version of Premiere CB, pro or elements.

I don`t really know either of the above, but so far Davinci is taking a little learning, the light version of Davinci does not cater for 4k.
11 Nov 2015 1:08AM
Premiere Elements 13, having downgraded from Vegas Pro when I downgraded from PS CS6 to PSE 13.

PRE13 seems to cope ok with 4K and I haven't come across any real restrictions although it's a bit less intuitive than pro software... that's true of Photoshop as well.
11 Nov 2015 1:15AM
Davinci does sophisticated colour correction and grading that is way beyond what Pr Elements can do. That doesn't mean you need it. Watch the video I posted previous post.

A lot of the time grading is done to match various cameras, digital video, film etc. Some people like the film 'look' rather than the original video 'look'. Some will even add grain etc and use look up tables from real-world film even though they don't need to match other footage they just want it to look like it was printed on Fuji film or what-have-you.
11 Nov 2015 1:17AM
Colour correction is something I've sometimes struggled with (with both Vegas Pro and Premiere Elements)... but that's probably because I've been too lazy to learn how to do it properly! Blush

If Davinci makes it easier, then it might be worth my while giving it a try. Smile
11 Nov 2015 1:27AM
The AMAZING thing about colour correcting video, especially white balance, is the use of Scopes/ Parades! It's beyond me that Davinci and Adobe Speedgrade and now 2015 Premiere CC have these, but Photoshop doesn't.

It's weird how the video world works one way, the stills another but often to achieve the same thing.

This is a parade thingy:

11 Nov 2015 2:24AM
Lol I still can`t yet find the scopes setting though I have been looking.

The colorchecker feature is handy, I can color match two or more camera`s for a reasonably level starting point, I`m going to need that using both Pany and Olympus Smile
11 Nov 2015 7:16PM
I did quite a bit in Davinci but now I am using Premiere CC 2015 almost exclusively for grading. I might dip into Speedgrade (which is easy to do via a dedicated Pr link).

Anyone can get a 30 day trial of Premiere CC 2015 and there's one tutorial video that explains everything without waffling, without patronising and without overdoing it and it's from a guy called 'chinfat' on YouTube.

This is all you need to get started as some of the very best things in Pr are not intuitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okodjfMGGQY&index=3&list=PLOVqmUlWq2N_uQxCIrZyOk0RALwCtZrui

12 Nov 2015 11:59PM
There`s is another free bit of softwar here e for anyone wanting to get beyond windows movie maker without spending money Smile

Its pretty capable.

http://hitfilm.com/movies
14 Nov 2015 4:50AM
Dug out my hacked GF2 but for the life of me I could not remember what patch I had on it (I`ve used quite a few) cake, vanilla etc originally for the GH2.

So back into ptool for a fresh hack Smile

5 minutes in Ptool and my new firmware was ready to load onto the camera.

599_1447475588.jpg

599_1447475633.jpg

599_1447475746.jpg

There is one minor downside for improvements in quality, my video software looses the sound unless I upgrade to the paid versions (and I guess this also applies to Davinci.

599_1447476146.jpg

I guess if your going to get more serious with video your going to want a separate sound device anyway and for the time being I could always extract the sound from my video clips converting them into wav files using VLC player, it has useful extraction tools that I had forgotten about.

15 Nov 2015 12:05AM
This one I cobbled together a few days ago from some old EM5 footage.

And this from mt newly re-hacked GF2 captured today, lol I spent most of the afternoon cooking and doing house work, so just a quick test.

Vimeo always seems to display better quality video, I guess this is because they use a 720 setting.

You can also find these snippets there.

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.