Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Z50 Magnification Problem

guineapig 1 4
22 Jul 2021 4:16PM
I have just "gone back" to Nikon after going down the micro 2/3 and bridge camera route (other manufacturers are available). I bought the Z50 because it is so light and I LOVE it. However one problem I have is that when I frame the shot I must be accidentally touching something because suddenly the lens zooms right in and a yellow square inside a rectangle appears at the bottom of the screen. I have no idea how to return to the normal size without turning the camera off and on again! What am I doing and is there a setting I can change so I stop doing it?

Did I say I love this camera?
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
22 Jul 2021 4:35PM
You probably have a function button set to zoom into the image.

This can be a very useful feature when using manual focus on a tripod.

Once you identify what you are touching to "zoom in" touching it again should zoom back to a normal image.

If you have been changing some of the settings there is an option in the SETUP MENU to reset them all.

It can take a while to fully set-up any brand of camera to your liking.

22 Jul 2021 10:11PM
I wonder if this is similar to the Sony A7 which is a zoom function to aid focus. It should return to the normal view if you half press the shutter release, if this is what it is. I found it a little confusing at first, but once used to it, a tremendous help with focussing accurately. In case someone says (again) that I am responding without knowing the answer, I hasten to add it is a suggestion. Check in your manual.
Railcam 14 917 2 Scotland
24 Jul 2021 12:37PM
I think all Nikon Z cameras operate the same. I have cheked it on my Z6.

In the Custom Settings Menu (pencil symbol) scroll to item f Controls, press OK and then select f3 OK button. Select Shooting mode and press OK. You will probably find Zoom on/off selected. If you do not want this just select none, press OK and that is it disabled. If you leave it set to Zoom on/off when you focus up , press OK you will get 100% zoom. Press OK again to go back to undo the Zoom on/off.

I hope this solves your problem, if not please let us know.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
25 Jul 2021 9:42AM

Quote:I think all Nikon Z cameras operate the same. I have cheked it on my Z6.

Looks as if you're right

I've just looked and it's the same on my Z7.

In fact, until I saw this, I didn't know I had those options!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.