Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Z7

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : Getting personal

LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 2:19PM
Mine was reserved on Tuesday.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Belleyeteres 8 255 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2018 2:55PM
Sticking to my Pentax K1 which I got at half the price.
24 Aug 2018 10:06AM
will it really give me a better file to work with than I get with my D800 and my ED Nikkor lenses? It seems increasingly difficult to separate the need for camera makers to satisfy shareholders/ board members and the actual needs of we image makers....I look back at some of the files from my Contax TVS and my Nikon D90 and seriously wonder why I continued to fall for it all.....maybe its sour grapes as the cost and personal longevity as a 73 retiree are somewhat prohibitive.....hope it ticks all the boxes !
JackAllTog Plus
9 5.3k 58 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2018 11:13AM
I think the Z7/6 will offer a lot of new potential as the lens range matures, the wider closer mount makes lenses shorter/lighter and the body is said to be much lighter but still big enough to handle well with adult hands. The fast fps/face detection & lower light performance with the Z7 pixel count with the 35mm lens should help improve street/event photography.
Nikon say the sensor is better than the 850.
I look forward to the production copy reviews alongside Len's own photos.
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2018 11:32AM
They're also saying the tracking will match that of the D850 [which is supposed to have the same 'uncanny' tracking system as the D5/500]. That's a pretty big deal, because if true it knocks out the last major advantage of the pentaprism cameras [battery life is not a huge issue with the later Alphas]. I suspect the DSLRs days as the dominant pro camera are now [even more] numbered.
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
24 Aug 2018 12:41PM
I was surprised to see that the first batch of lenses are larger than their F mount equivalents. Shouldn't they be smaller and lighter when the register (mount to sensor distance) is so much smaller and fewer lenses need to be retrofocal.

To what extent is the Z7 basically a modified D850?
Ross_D 4 783 1 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2018 1:03PM
LOL...............thought a Z7 was a BMW sports car.......Blush...........then noticed the topic posted under 'Nikon' Smile
LenShepherd 10 3.8k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2018 7:48PM

Quote:.
Nikon say the sensor is better than the 850.

I am handling a Z7 on Wednesday, but do not know if I will be allowed to take pictures.

The Z7 has a 32 ISO setting - almost mandatory tripod territory - which should help body resolution.

The full aperture MTf of the 3 released Z lenses is at www.imaging.nikon.com There is a significant f1.8 corner improvement, especially with the new aspheric/ED element 50mm which some say equals the Zeiss 55mm f1.8, for less money than the Zeiss though still (ouch) 600.

Z mount lenses cannot be fitted to a D850.
It is a safe bet at 32 ISO with a Z mount lens the Z7 should improve on an equivalent lens at 64 ISO.

Digressing slightly long telephotos are now within a whisker of perfect - see the MTF for the just being released 500 f5.6 PF at imaging.nikon.com - at 3,600 - cheap Smile compared to the f4 FL. I do not foresee long telephotos in Z mount for at least a decade.
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
26 Aug 2018 10:32AM
Obviously there has been quite a lot of reviews / comments / You Tube videos on the internet over the last few days.

There has been some negative comments about several of the features of this and the Z6 all with a sort of caveat.

" This is based on a pre-production model which may be fixed on " official " release "

What is the point of Nikon, or anyone else, having big press / launch events with pre-production models that may not be finalised ?

As one of the cameras is due for release in only a few weeks surely that cannot now make any suggested changes in that short a space of time ?
thewilliam2 1 1.0k
26 Aug 2018 10:50AM
One colleague is a sports photographer who does a lot of sequence work.

The snag with a DSLR is that the viewfinder blanks out while the exposures are happening so he can't know what he's captured until he chimps. He's looking forward to the Z6 so that he'll see what he's getting.

With 10 frames per second and 1/2000 shutter speed, isn't there a 1 in 200 or 0.5% chance of capturing exactly the right instant?
Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2018 1:25PM

Quote:With 10 frames per second and 1/2000 shutter speed, isn't there a 1 in 200 or 0.5% chance of capturing exactly the right instant?

Frankly the odds are going to be equal whether you have a mirror or no mirror, I have no problem tracking fast action at 10fps with a DSLR, the blanking out of the viewfinder is pretty insignificant, spray and pray will be identical regardless. (Don't quote me on this but I have read that the Z6 can only achieve 11fps with the exposure locked, which may or may not be a problem)

Quote:He's looking forward to the Z6

Make sure he has plenty of batteries... as he will only capture something like 2 images of exactly the right instant per battery Tongue
JJGEE 13 7.4k 18 England
26 Aug 2018 1:33PM

Quote:Don't quote me on this but I have read that the Z6 can only achieve 11fps with the exposure locked, which may or may not be a problem

As you say, in practical terms is that really going to be an issue in general ?
I doubt that exposure is not going to change that much in a second or two ?

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2018 2:21PM

Quote:I doubt that exposure is not going to change that much in a second or two ?

I did say may or may not be a problem... it is not unknown for fast moving action to suddenly move into shade, when you may catch the decisive moment but underexposed.... however it was important enough for it to be mentioned in a write - up.
Chris_L Plus
4 4.9k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2018 5:18PM

Quote: I have no problem tracking fast action at 10fps with a DSLR, the blanking out of the viewfinder is pretty insignificant, spray and pray will be identical regardless.
It depends what you are shooting. Far better to have no blank out and be able accurately correct for the direction the action takes. Sports photographers have long wanted that and it's why reviews comment on it it and the reason the issue is an issue.

If you were shooting something like water skiing or surfing where sun, reflections and water conspire to challenge exposure then the lock might cause problems. Some wildlife shots perhaps too.

I wonder who will buy these. The only people I can think of are those who already have Nikon kit. Sony have half a dozen full frame mirrorless bodies to suit all pockets, far more native lenses and adaptors that will allow mounting with autofocus of other brands.

I'm speaking from the position of someone who has invested in Sony. I feel though if I was making the leap from Canon or MFT today to full frame mirrorless I would still choose Sony.

Philh04 Plus
13 2.0k United Kingdom
26 Aug 2018 6:03PM

Quote:Far better to have no blank out and be able accurately correct for the direction the action takes.

Yes... my point was that at 10fps tracking etc is going to be very similar with or without a mirror and the odds of getting the money shot are identical, after all you are going to anticipate and press that button at the same time....

Now if we were talking about the Sony a9 Wink (which I might add I wish I could justify the purchase)...

I have followed the announcement with interest and do feel that Nikon may be missing a trick (hard to put my finger on it and I suspect when Canon announces its rival it will maybe do the same).

Had the Z6 some of the capability of the a9 then IMO that would have made sense....