Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

hotshot soft boxes

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

tomcat606 11 108
30 Dec 2010 11:20PM
Hi all

Has anyone used any hotshot soft boxes Ďíhow have you found them Ďand what did you think. there are so Meany different makes and prices Ď is there such a big difference in quality Iím thinking of trying a couple with my SB600ís but donít want to lay out to much money if they donít work to well
Ta
Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2010 2:23PM
If they're for indoor use, search for "a better bounce card" before going any further. Hot shoe boxes are best used off-camera, but the lastolite ezybox and interfit Strobies are both worth a look if you've got the cash.
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 Dec 2010 2:36PM
I`ve had one on the lumiquest boxes for about three years, very good.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
31 Dec 2010 3:00PM
A Better Bounce Card certainly work. I have one of Peter's first models - big black 'lazzy-band and various pieces of thin, white foam card. He's moved on a bit since then Wink
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
31 Dec 2010 4:23PM

Quote:A Better Bounce Card certainly work. I have one of Peter's first models - big black 'lazzy-band and various pieces of thin, white foam card. He's moved on a bit since then

I`ve done a fair bit of DIY, last year I put together a gold/silver reflector that folds to the size of a hanky but opens and attaches to fill a standard size golfing umbrella in seconds. I then added a flash bracket and a home made cover the converts it to a soft box, looks a little odd and turns a few heads but gives a lovely quality of light.

sophie.jpg

A test using just the reflector without the soft cover

p7241931.jpg

How it looked attached but not quite finished
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2011 10:08AM
The Hot shoe soft boxes (i assume you mean hotshoe of the camera) i've seen online have all been rather small and looked quite cumbersome; i though the rule of thumb for a softbox was that it needs to be as big as the subject area you want lit - an so the 30cm boxes might just do a face. Also the light will always be straight onto the subject so the image will look flatter.

Also fixing it onto the hotshoe of the camera could put quite a lot of physical stress on the mounting unless the whole assemble was quite light.
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2011 2:46PM
i use the lastolite hotshoe box, its about 20cm square, and the light is quite usable, without the box being so big that wind blows it over when used on a stand.... this picture was taken with the softbox off camera to the right at about 20 degrees

66.jpg
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2011 2:59PM
Thanks Rick, would that be the "Ezybox Speed-Lite is a 22cm x 22cm mini softbox which attaches directly onto a flashgun whether it's on or off the camera."
ezybox-speed-lite-mini-softbox.jpg

Thanks
Stuart
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2011 3:01PM
indeed... about £50 from WE if i remeber correctly. Smile Doesnt weigh much and as long as you are carful isnt bad when fixed to the hotshoe, although it does worry me about the integrity of the shoe if someone knocked it.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.