Nik Collection 2018 by DxO - FREE with selected X-Rite products!

Weekly B&W Challenge ending 8pm Wed 17th April 2019 - NAUTICAL

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

DaveRyder Plus
5 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2019 7:08PM
Nautical from Amsterdam..... My only trip there, in 1978 for the Grand Prix at Zandzoort, was more Naughtical WinkBlushTongue

As a bonus Andretti won in the Lotus with Peterson 2nd.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
5 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2019 7:09PM

Quote:
Oh dear...here we go...Tongue

Had to join in...
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
17 Apr 2019 7:22PM

Quote:Nautical from Amsterdam..... My only trip there, in 1978 for the Grand Prix at Zandzoort, was more Naughtical WinkBlushTongue

As a bonus Andretti won in the Lotus with Peterson 2nd.

Amsterdam is a hellish palace for motorists...all those red lights.Wink
17 Apr 2019 9:07PM
Good to see you've been keeping yourself amused in my absence! Wink

I'm back. Mr PL is just pouring me a brew while I peruse your offerings.

Back shortly....
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2019 9:27PM

Quote:

...... Mr PL is just pouring me a brew while I peruse your offerings.

That's an original excuse. Mrs D has several "you make the tea while I ????????" But not yet used 'Judge entries'.
Hope you get a biscuit to dunk as well.
17 Apr 2019 9:40PM
OK. I've had a slurp of tea and a bit of time to cogitate...

Dave: A very admirable shot of two very admirable services! Nicely done.
Adrian57: I'm going to admit to being baffled by this one - the link to the theme is either too well hidden for my meagre intellect Blush or it was posted in error. Great photo but, sadly, not on brief this week. Look forward to seeing some more photos in future weeks though! Smile
Peter: I do like the simplicity of this image, though I'm sure it wasn't so simple to take! I'm guessing that's rigging I can just about make out in the reflections? - double hit Tongue
Aidobel: There's definitely been something fishy going on up north! Lovely shot with some fine details preserved, despite the high zoom. Nice reflections of light on the water too.
Merlin: Your job certainly allows you to travel to some much nicer places than mine does! Lovely shot of the Mississipi there.
Eddie: Another lovely shot. And thanks for the editing tip - I've struggled with similar so many times and never thought to use layers! Blush
Simon: If there was an award for creative thinker of the week, you'd definitely have it this week! Great effort. And a great shot of a plane!
Malc: I do like the repeating patterns in this one.
Phil: Lovely shot of some rigging and clouds there!
Alison: I do love the fact you put yourself out so much to get some of these shots on topic! Sounds like you had a lovely day out - hopefully with some additional shots for the portfolio too? I do hope your glass isn't as dry as that dock though!!!

So...for the difficult bit - a winner.

To be fair, it could have been any one of several for me - you're all too good at this! But there is just something about the Malc's boats that just keeps pulling me back.
So the baton this week (or should that be the sail) passes over to Malc. I think it's the light/reflections along with the leading lines and repeating patterns that did it for me. Smile

17 Apr 2019 9:46PM

Quote:Mrs D has several "you make the tea while I ????????" But not yet used 'Judge entries'.
Hope you get a biscuit to dunk as well.

Sure you'll make the most of this ready-made tip in the near future!!! Grin
And no - no biscuit. A piece of homemade flapjack instead! Tongue Tongue Tongue
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
17 Apr 2019 10:04PM
Many thanks Linda. Many good entries as always, so very pleased to have won!
As for the new challenge, Iíll have to sleep on it and post the theme tomorrow.
EddieAC Plus
14 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
17 Apr 2019 10:09PM
Well done Malc and many thanks for this week Linda!!! Smile

Quote: And thanks for the editing tip - I've struggled with similar so many times and never thought to use layers!†

For this image I created a Black and White adjustment layer and set the sliders to what I wanted the image to look like for the boat.

Then I painted black into the mask over the sky with a soft edged brush. This had the effect of turning the sky back to colour and I carefully did this until all the blue in the sky was in colour and the boat was still B&W.

Then holding control (I think) and clicking in the mask for that adjustment layer makes a selection of all the area of the mask which is white. This selects all the area that I hadn't painted out. Then I inverted the selection and made another B&W adjustment layer with the same values as everything in the previous one but then I could alter the blue colour and control the luminance of the sky.

Thus I could control the blue of the boat and sky separately with the two adjustment layers.

This is similar to how I did it before and I didn't have to feather a selection and get it wrong. Smile

17 Apr 2019 10:18PM
Well done Malc - great shot and processing and thanks to Linda for the challenge.
17 Apr 2019 10:22PM
Thanks for explaining Eddie. Not what I was expecting. I'll have a play around with PS sometime soon...with this advice in front of me. I'm sure it'll make more sense to me then!!! 🤔😊
cattyal Plus
14 8.8k 6 England
17 Apr 2019 10:26PM
Congratulations Malc! And thanks for a job well done Linda Smile

Merlin_k Plus
10 37 12 United States
18 Apr 2019 1:04AM
A worthy winner. Well done Malc.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.0k 1 United Kingdom
18 Apr 2019 6:29AM
Well done Malc and thanks for the Challenge Linda
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
18 Apr 2019 12:32PM

Quote:Congratulations Malc! And thanks for a job well done Linda Smile

+1 Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.