Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Weekly Black and White Challenge ending Wed 2nd January 2019 - Photo techniques

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

EddieAC Plus
14 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
1 Jan 2019 5:26PM
I was planning to get an image with.star trails but the last few nights have been cloudy so now switching to plan B. Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
2 Jan 2019 5:53PM
Still 2 hours to go so plenty of time for more entries - even those planning long exposures!Smile
EddieAC Plus
14 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2019 7:39PM
That's why the flasher went to the local library.

He could get some noise reduction with his long exposure. Smile
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
2 Jan 2019 7:49PM

Quote:That's why the flasher went to the local library.

He could get some noise reduction with his long exposure. Smile

On form today, Eddie.GrinGrin
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
2 Jan 2019 8:06PM
Back soon after have a perusal of the entries...
saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
2 Jan 2019 8:15PM
OK then.
Welcome to the new year one and all. For my part it's a new year but same old sh*t when it comes to judging, waffling, digressing, etc., etc., so you'll just have to continue liking it or lumping it.
I hope you have all made your NY resolutions and intend to keep them...some hope!

So to the very first judging of 2019 of the very last challenge of 2018. Good to see varied techniques - especially IL's which I had to youtube to find out more. Never heard of that before. Well done IL for thinking outside the camera. Smile

Up first is John: Presumably those light trails are the Irish rushing to the pub for their Guinness? Love the sharpness of the image!

Linda: An impressive reindeer. Even here in Norway they can't breed them that big!

IL (all hail): Kudos for coming up with something completely different, and leading by inspiring (do I have another All Hail!?)

Peter: Now that scene was just made to be photographed in IR!

Phil: Only one question. Were you stood still and the merry-go-round was moving, or was it stationary and you running round it at high speed like a demented dervish?

Chris: No idea what you were watching. Probably Strictly Love East Corrie Get Me Out Of Here.

Simon: Don't stand too close to the end of that, mate, you'll get sucked in!

Eddie: Gotta hand it to you. Only one cause of a hand like that, and it' nowt to do with photo techniques. Too much Midland Banking - you need to change banks, mateTongue

So, it's make my mind up time...off for a Jimmy and a quick rub of the fungal cream. See y'all soon.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.3k 35 Norway
2 Jan 2019 8:30PM
Very difficult to make an objective choice.
I was at first tempted to award the baton to IL for her excellent technique of Free Lensing, plus the fact that it would have peed her off no endTongue
In the end it came down to just two images - and no, I am not talking about the two-in-one effort by the distinguished Eddie. That doesn't mean that his entry wasn't one of the two, and it doesn't mean it was either. That's for me to know and all you to wonder about, or not as the case may be.

In the end, at the end of the day, not to mention in the fullness of time, I made a final and non-reversible decision.
In these Brexit times, which are worrying for so many, the Irish need a soft border with the North, and John has certainly not added a hard border to his street image. What I'm trying to say, is, congrats, John, you have the dubious honour of having to find the theme for the first challenge of 2019.

Very well done one and all - excellent stuff!
2 Jan 2019 8:34PM

Quote:you need to change banks, mate

...or...as “they” say, change hands and it feels like someone else..

sorry...nautical previous life tends to contaminate my grey cell...Blush
SlowSong Plus
10 8.0k 30 England
2 Jan 2019 8:35PM
Lovely bit of slow shutter work. Nice one.

Thanks for the extra long time Malc. W
Even so, still got a last minute shot in. Grin
EddieAC Plus
14 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2019 8:36PM
Well done John and many thanks for a judging job very well done Malc!! Smile
2 Jan 2019 8:44PM

Quote: IL for her excellent technique of Free Lensing

Yeah..that looks like fun..! something else to try...(badly....)..

But congrats to John for the street scene, I liked it too as it ‘appens...
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
2 Jan 2019 9:02PM
A worthy winner John, and thanks to Malc for running it. Smile
Well done John. I thought it was a strong contender from the off. Smile

I too have to confess to having to look up 'free lensing' to see what it was. May have to give it a go sometime, now I know.

I was also impressed by all the other entries. And the effort Phil went to with his shot really inspired me to make a New year's resolution... To try out my own film camera before the year's out. Though the art of processing is far beyond me just yet! Blush
JFitz Plus
10 461 5 Ireland
2 Jan 2019 9:47PM
Thank you very much Malc for the Baton. There was a fantastic selection of images this week and I am very glad I didn't have to judge.! No hard border here. In fact pictures without colour Grin

Happy new year to one and all. New topic incoming.

John
cattyal Plus
14 8.8k 6 England
2 Jan 2019 10:04PM
Congratulations John and thanks to Malc for your supervision of this challenge and waffling - always entertaining Smile

Good to see that a few peeps might try this free lensing lark - just don't do it on a windy day - I don't want to be held responsible for a camera full of dust and muck!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.