WEX Deal: Save £500 on the Sony A7R Mark II

Weekly Black and White Challenge ending 8pm Wednesday 10th June 2020 - A Window Light Scene

Attention!

This topic is locked.

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

EddieAC 15 2.7k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 9:23AM
New theme time and my thoughts for the next challenge resided around using a window and recording a scene with natural light coming in. For instance a vase of flowers on a table in front of a window would look good.

There must be a wealth of opportunity (I hope) for subjects but to keep things interesting try and keep either all or part of the window in the frame. Smile

Rules

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. All images must be taken after the theme is announced.
3. All images must be uploaded by 8pm on Wednesday
4. All uploads must be B&W (or sepia toned)
5. Only one upload per member
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week challenge and the judge’s decision is final
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week
8. Don't waste too much time staring out the window
9. Have fun

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 10:09AM
Damn, I'm going to have to clean the windows now..... Blush
4 Jun 2020 11:08AM

Quote:Damn, I'm going to have to clean the windows now..... Blush

I think you have this the wrong way round - you need to delay cleaning the windows so that the photo has more gritty texture Smile
DaveRyder Plus
6 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 11:53AM

Quote:
Quote:Damn, I'm going to have to clean the windows now..... Blush

I think you have this the wrong way round - you need to delay cleaning the windows so that the photo has more gritty texture Smile

I'm going to try that one.
tommyegan 13 3 United Kingdom
4 Jun 2020 12:00PM
How do we enter this
SlowSong Plus
11 9.0k 30 England
4 Jun 2020 1:27PM
White plastic window frames are so photogenic. Sad
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 62 Norway
4 Jun 2020 1:58PM

Quote:How do we enter this

Hi Tommy...very simple. Make sure the image is taken after the date/time the theme was announced.
Click on 'Browse' just above the opening post, then on 'Photos' then on the green 'Upload Photo' button. Follow the simple upload instructions, then Robert is your mother's brother.Wink
RobD 78 1 Guernsey
4 Jun 2020 7:36PM
Oh dear. I did this for Art of Photography at the start of lockdown. Actually quite interesting to do, links available from my personal site (link in portfoilio) if you read the Art of Photography bit. Or just skip to the 2 links at the end. Some interesting ideas anyway.

and Malc,

Quote:Robert is your mother's brother.Wink

the only person who calls me Robert and gets away with it is my father. Aside from which I don't have a sister. Tongue
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 62 Norway
4 Jun 2020 7:38PM

Quote:Oh dear. I did this for Art of Photography at the start of lockdown. Actually quite interesting to do, links available from my personal site (link in portfoilio) if you read the Art of Photography bit. Or just skip to the 2 links at the end. Some interesting ideas anyway.

and Malc,

Quote:Robert is your mother's brother.Wink

the only person who calls me Robert and gets away with it is my father. Aside from which I don't have a sister. Tongue

I wasn't talking to you RobTongue Now go back to the naughty step, your time's not up yet.Wink
RobD 78 1 Guernsey
4 Jun 2020 8:42PM
to quote Malcolm in the Middle, you're not the boss of me now Tongue
5 Jun 2020 9:32PM

Quote:White plastic window frames are so photogenic. Sad

Easy way around that, just pull the curtains a.little. Smile

Quote: Oh dear. I did this for Art of Photography at the start of lockdown. Actually quite interesting to do, links available from my personal site (link in portfoilio) if you read the Art of Photography bit. Or just skip to the 2 links at the end. Some interesting ideas anyway.

Rob, I did see that art of photography video although I wasn't even thinking of that when I set the theme. I was actually thinking back to around 2015 when our very own Malc set a challenge called "Indoor natural light". I was a BWC newbie then and took what I regard as a rubbish photo, ironically washing my hands. Smile. That challenge was won by our very own IL aka Alison.

A memorable theme though and I came up with a variation which would include a window as it can be rather challenging with dynamic range.

8 Jun 2020 10:37PM
A little bump is now appropriate now that we have already sailed into a new macro challenge theme. Smile
10 Jun 2020 8:13PM
Okay Time is up. Will be back soon with a decision. Smile
10 Jun 2020 9:26PM
I'm back and as I've often found out with this group it's not the judge who makes a good theme it's the participants interpretations of it. As customary a few comments in order of upload.

Tommy: A very nice photo of the bridge with lots of detail. It does not fit the theme though and also was taken prior to the challenge being set so I can not consider it for the win.

Phil: A very nice desk and it reminds me of my grandparents house back in the 70's. They had a desk (not rolltop) which now sits in the hallway at my mum's house. A very nice scene.

Chris: A very interesting ornament and absolutely nothing wrong with white plastic window frames. The net curtains do provide lots of detail as well. The darkness of the ornament does contrast nicely with the brightness of the scene.

Malc: A nice kitchen windowsill scene and possibly a bit of a change for you to be looking out of this window for a while rather than Mrs Salty while she's doing the washing up. Very nice lighting and interesting use of pinhole filter/lens. I did make a basic one by drilling a hole in a lens cap quite some time ago and have I actually tried it yet? No. Also nice to see a bit of the Norwegian scenery outside.

Rob: Showing that lots of fun can be had in a shed. You should see the state of ours. I have had to store both a dismantled wardrobe and chest of drawers in our shed as the local tip has been shut during lockdown (now just reopened) and it's floor to almost roof with junk. A good still life and a genre that I should try a bit more often.

IL (Alison....all hail): Wow!! Look at all those empty bottles of voddy, I didn't know we all had that effect on you. Grin
A nice high key scene and interesting choice shooting through the window blinds.

Okay now time to make a decision and as of this moment Rob's photo seems to have been removed from the gallery although it does appear in the activity tab. I'm not sure if that was intentional or if there is a glitch. I do like the lighting on all the entries though and this was something that I was interested to see when I thought up the theme. I am going to have to nominate Phil for his "Rolltop Desk" scene and hand over to Phil to begin a new era in the Black and White Challenge.

So well done to Phil and many thanks to everyone for taking part this week. Smile

saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 62 Norway
10 Jun 2020 9:33PM
Well done Phil, and thanks for the challenge, Eddie. I believe Rib himself deleted his entry.

Phil...just in case there is any doubt as to the new procedure...you create a new challenge in aéxactluy the same way as before, except that it goes in its new home, which is Forums--->The Challenges.
Title and inclusion of the rules as normal.
That thread will only be for posting images.
All discussion/chat/banter etc will happen in the new permanent thread "Weekly Black & White Challenge - Discussion" which is found under The Challenges mentioned above.

The same will now apply to the Macro challenge...any questions, pm me or ask in the relevant discussion thread...