Weekly Macro Challenge - ends 20:00hrs Sun. 18th Aug 2019 - ......TER

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

12 Aug 2019 8:57AM
Ok. Having slept on it I found inspiration. With apologies to those of you lucky enough to be living in beautiful countries outside the UK who may not know what I'm referring to, this week's challenge is inspired by the TV programme 'Pointless'. And it offers multiple future challenge possibilities too (you can thank me later!) This week I'd like to see your images of WORDS ENDING WITH THE LETTERS '...TER'

There are loads of them so there should be something to suit everyone. But if you're 'stuck' Tongue for inspiration, you can Google "words ending ter" and hundreds will appear before your very eyes. However, a word or two of warning...

Firstly, as I'm running the show this week I get to set the rules. And I'm going to be a bit of a pedant here. Blush Perhaps controversially in the current political climate, and without wanting to add to any (real or perceived) international tensions, I am going to insist on UK English spellings. So, for instance, 'liter' would be disallowed as here in the UK we would spell it 'litre'. So my advice would be to check with a UK dictionary before submitting if you're unsure.

Secondly, I do want to see images of objects, not the written word. So no images of hand-written words or words in print, please - too much of a cop-out. This is supposed to be a challenge, after all!

Good luck one and all. I look forward to seeing your submissions on Sunday!

The Rules:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. All images must be taken after the theme is announced.
3. The challenge runs from 8pm on the Sunday and runs until 8pm the following Sunday.
4. Only one upload per member.
5. Please feel free to comment on the entries once judging is complete.
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Have fun
9. UK spellings only.
10. No images of the written word - in any format. That's just a cop-out!!!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
12 Aug 2019 10:32AM
Looks like we must certainly upholder the letTER of the law, Linda. Smile
saltireblue Plus
9 9.6k 35 Norway
12 Aug 2019 10:43AM

Quote:Secondly, I do want to see images of objects, not the written word.

Does that mean an image of a hand-written letTER would be admissible, or not?Smile
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
12 Aug 2019 10:46AM

Quote:
Quote:Secondly, I do want to see images of objects, not the written word.

Does that mean an image of a hand-written letTER would be admissible, or not?Smile

Good point. We'd betTER check with the OP. Smile
12 Aug 2019 10:49AM

Quote: And I'm going to be a bit of a pedant here

To betTER the pedantry - my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary has an entry for liTER (and cenTER for that matTER).

I think I need to check the function of CAPS LOCK on my compuTER.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.6k 35 Norway
12 Aug 2019 12:07PM
I have a TERrible problem. My compuTER has started to use CAPS for words starting with TER as well.
I hope it's not TERminal...
SlowSong Plus
11 8.2k 30 England
12 Aug 2019 12:16PM

Quote:I have a TERrible problem. My compuTER has started to use CAPS for words starting with TER as well.
I hope it's not TERminal...

ExTERminate ....
12 Aug 2019 12:29PM
Alright alright. Calm down you rowdy rabble!

Quote:

Ah ha! I thought someone might spot that one..! As a letter is, by definition, words on paper, the words themselves are an essential characteristic of the item. For that reason that would indeed be permissible where, for instance, a photo of a word ending 'ter' listed in a dictionary would not.

As for words such as liter and center, if they're in the English dictionary without reference to being foreign spellings/versions of English words, they too would be permissible, even though it would pain me.

I hope that clarifies the situation. Happy to answer any further queries, of course. 😊
Eich 14
12 Aug 2019 1:29PM
This just adds laughTER to the whole issue.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2019 1:39PM
So is Pedant Lindas' alTER ego...
saltireblue Plus
9 9.6k 35 Norway
12 Aug 2019 1:44PM
It doesn't get any betTER than this!
12 Aug 2019 1:47PM
As so many of you have already been inspired to generate lots of 'ter' words I am, of course, expecting great things now..! Wink
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2019 1:51PM
Can't claim the picture....but it's good banTER

253884_1565614206.jpg

12 Aug 2019 1:52PM
That's the one!!! 😁😁😁
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.3k 1 United Kingdom
12 Aug 2019 2:24PM
Well I've an entry. A little editing and I upload.

As an aside - very impressed with the macro on the Lumix LX15.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.