Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Weekly Macro Challenge ending 8:00pm Sunday 1st December 2019 - Convex

If you'd like to join this group, either login or register with ePHOTOzine.

25 Nov 2019 9:25AM
So. Inspiration never struck over night. But never fear... I had previously prepared a list of ideas. Grin So here's one off the list.

This week I'd like to see your images showing off an object that has a convex surface. That is a surface which curves out rather than in (the latter being concave - you can go into caves). It doesn't matter what the object as long as the convex surface is clearly visible.

The Rules are:

1. The challenge is just for fun.
2. All images must be taken after the theme is announced.
3. The challenge runs from 8pm on the Sunday and runs until 8pm the following Sunday.
4. Only one upload per member.
5. Please feel free to comment on the entries once judging is complete.
6. The person who hosts is the judge for that week challenge and the judge’s decision is final.
7. The winner gets to create, run and judge the challenge for the following week.
8. Have fun

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

EddieAC 14 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
25 Nov 2019 11:48AM
I always thought I should prepare a list of ideas in case the brain matter didn't jump start but have I ever? No!!! Wink
JawDborn 7 1.2k 1 England
25 Nov 2019 3:00PM
It's a shame my old bald head is too big for macro.Sad
25 Nov 2019 6:08PM

Quote:It's a shame my old bald head is too big for macro.Sad

It's macro. The idea is to get up close and personal. No need to get the whole thing in.... if that helps any! 😁
25 Nov 2019 6:09PM

Quote:I always thought I should prepare a list of ideas in case the brain matter didn't jump start but have I ever? No!!! Wink

Perhaps I'm the only one sad (or mad) enough to do such a thing?! Blush
1 Dec 2019 10:58AM
Well it's Sunday. So it's that time of the week where I give a friendly nudge to everyone wanting to join in the shenanigans.

Last few hours. And the clock's ticking. 😊
cattyal Plus
14 9.0k 6 England
1 Dec 2019 7:44PM
Very poor effort today - apologies - it's not been a good week!
1 Dec 2019 8:03PM
Ok peeps. Time's up.

Just having my Sunday dinner. Back after that to peruse and judge. 😊
1 Dec 2019 9:07PM
OK. Belly filled and eyes satiated (if that's a thing?!), I am back with a verdict. But first, the hors d'oeuvres...

Phil – Looking good (did you see what I did there?!) Some interesting diffraction going on there. When I first looked at it I thought it was a lens that had been cut in half, but now I’m thinking it must be the frame I can see. A nice take on a difficult subject matter – kudos!

Eric – That’s one mighty fine magnifying glass you’ve got there. Never seen one as fancy as that before. Hope that means you’ve had the chance to do some globe trotting in your time?! Nice light and shadows on the atlases. And lots of other convex surfaces too on the metalwork. Great job!

Chris – Reflections on the back of a spoon. I was hoping someone would do that – glad I wasn’t disappointed. And there are even some convex surfaces in the ornament being reflected too. Nice one (or two)! Well, three actually, because I’ve just noticed what appears to be some door knobs reflected in the spoon and they, too, seem to have a convex surface, unless my eyes deceive me.

Malc – When I first saw that one, I thought it was a nutmeg grater with a lemon in the background. But now I see what it is and realise my folly. Blush I do believe I have some of those in the garage (the rasp, I mean, not the tennis balls). Actually, now I come to think of it, I could do with digging one out for a little job I want to do…. Anyway, not sure why you’d want to take a wood rasp to a tennis ball, but each to their own. Nice shot whatever – and another great multiple-entry.

Andrew – Isn’t it a devil when someone (or something) comes along and eats your subject matter?! Tongue But nicely rescued with the glass pebbles. I like that you can even see the air bubbles trapped in the glass. Overall, the image has a very abstract feel to it. And some lovely blue tones. Nice!

Eddie – A very colourful image from you this week, with some interesting texture on the convex surfaces and some bonus convex surfaces on the bottle necks. Hope your son didn’t mind you stealing his treasured possessions for a while! Now, go get them filled up ready for the morning before we both get into trouble!!!! Wink

Alison – Oh yes, IL who vowed only recently to never show us any of her bad images - ever. Yet here she is declaring this one a poor shot. Well, if that’s a poor one, I wish all mine would come out just as poor! A very nice take on the theme and a very credible entry that hasn’t yet been ruled out. I hope next week is a better one for you (if your world’s anything like mine, it’s just that time of the year I think!!!)

So, I guess I have to decide on a winner now. Hmmm. Let me think…

Well, I don’t claim to be anyone who knows much about fine art but I am quite taken by Andrew’s abstract glass pebbles in water which keep making me think ‘Picasso’. So, for that reason I’m pleased/sorry to tell Andrew, but I’m passing the convex surface that is known as the baton over to him for the next week. But thanks to everyone else for entering – an interesting selection of images. I was torn between a few this week but, as always, there can only be one.

1 Dec 2019 9:18PM
Well done Andrew. Thanks for the challenge Linda.
1 Dec 2019 9:57PM
Photo Linda. Thanks for your comment on my effort. You wrote 'Eric – That’s one mighty fine magnifying glass you’ve got there. Never seen one as fancy as that before. Hope that means you’ve had the chance to do some globe trotting in your time? Sadly I have never been globe trotting other than in the UK. in all my 84 and a half years. being Disabled since my mid 30's unabelled to get about without the help of others. Taking Snapshots has been the thing that as kept me going. Eric ( Gypsyman).
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
1 Dec 2019 10:03PM
Well done Andrew. Super shot.
Thanks for the challenge Linda. Smile
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
2 Dec 2019 8:32AM
Well done, Andrew, and many thanks to our lovely hostess this week, and in particular her detailed summing up.
EddieAC 14 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 10:22AM
Well done Andrew and many thanks to Linda for this week. Smile
2 Dec 2019 10:38AM
Thank you Linda both for the challenge and the verdict, and to everyone for their comments.

Not having been in this happy position before, I now need to work out how to start a new thread for next week's topic. Back soon.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.