Back Versions (1)
Modifications (4)
Views: 136 (54 Unique) 
Vote 16
Award Shortlist   

A RIGHT CHARLIE

By Tish1
This is Charlie, not Charlotte, she is my oldest grand-daughter.

I have, for long, enough been trying to get to grips editing techniques and this is the result. V1 is the final version with V2 being the original cropped version, had to chop her Dad off, he spoilt the whole thing [he looks too much like his Dad Blush].

While I appreciate this is far from perfect, I would appreciate your input on what is good and what is bad about it and any hints and tips on editing that you care to offer.

At the moment I am extremely busy, but because I have been working so diligently my boss said I could have a couple of hours play time; bet you wish you had a boss like mine. I do have an unfair advantage.............. I am the boss Grin. The advantage of being busy is that I can not get lost again Sad

So many thanks to all who took the time to view and comment on my 'Colours of Summer' it is very much appreciated, additional thanks to John[lw] for his hints and tips getting me started on some editing techniques.

Tish

Tags: General Charlie Portraits and people

Voters: barbarahirst, johnlw, capto and 13 more


Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Win prizes, kudos, recognition! Enter AOP prestigious Photography Awards before 7 August

Comments


10 Jul 2013 1:02PM
sorry I cant help with the editing ..
I am a just take photos lady.... cant be bothered playing around on a computer
the hair hasnt worked with that background in my eyes... but tend to think we all think differently about photos ..and a good thing tooWink
also her colouring looks better in the original
full points for attempting thoughSmile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

johnlw 9 1 10 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 1:02PM
Hi Tish two nice images.
Regards John.
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 1:06PM

Quote:Sorry I cant help with the editing ..
I am a just take photos lady.... cant be bothered playing around on a computer
the hair hasnt worked with that background in my eyes... but tend to think we all think differently about photos ..and a good thing tooWink
also her colouring looks better in the original
full points for attempting thoughSmile



Your observations are very much appreciated and thanks for the tip about Colours of Summer being a featured picture.


Tish
capto Plus
4 3.8k 8 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 1:29PM
So nice to have a photogenic model in the family. Keep up the good work, the rewards are worth it.
I have enjoyed doing a quick mod.Smile

ivor
lonely_oryx 8 61 54 England
10 Jul 2013 1:40PM
The edges are a bit rough. If you are using Photoshop try running around the edges with a very small brush (about 10 pxs) and hardness set to 100 (remember to reset this back to 0 afterwards).

You can also get tips and demo from YouTube (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPsAHYjvgRQ). If you are not using PS try searching on YouTube for the software you use.

It is difficult to give a full process of what you are trying to do in a comment.

Hope this helps.
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 1:56PM

Quote:So nice to have a photogenic model in the family. Keep up the good work, the rewards are worth it.
I have enjoyed doing a quick mod.Smile

ivor




.............. and I enjoyed viewing it, thank you so much, please tell me what you did and which version you used.

Tish
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 1:58PM

Quote:The edges are a bit rough. If you are using Photoshop try running around the edges with a very small brush (about 10 pxs) and hardness set to 100 (remember to reset this back to 0 afterwards).

You can also get tips and demo from YouTube (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPsAHYjvgRQ). If you are not using PS try searching on YouTube for the software you use.

It is difficult to give a full process of what you are trying to do in a comment.

Hope this helps.



Thank you, everything helps; if you knew just how bad I am at this Blush


Thank you


Tish
10 Jul 2013 2:04PM
isnt great all the advice you are getting ...
helping me as wellSmile
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 2:31PM

Quote:Isnt great all the advice you are getting ...
helping me as wellSmile



Fill your boots!!!!
ColleenA Plus
4 317 3 Australia
10 Jul 2013 5:30PM
Hi Tish, she is a pretty girl, cannot help with any tips unfortunately, flowers are my forteGrinGrinGrin
miptog 10 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 6:45PM
Hi Tish

The tip from lonely_oryx should help with improving the selection, which will make it look more natural without "jagged" edges. Selecting "fly-away" hair is always very difficult, and most who do it have the hair against a plain background. The areas of hair in shadow and that against the arm is really only for a professional retoucher to attempt or to use specialist selection software.

The image seems "over-processed", so on the next attempt just don't be so "heavy" with the adjustment and just small subtle adjustments will improve it. You should fine that by small adjustments in levels, contrast, saturation and sharpness should improve it. This is effectively what I have done in the uploaded mod. I also "cheated" and used a crop to get around the distractions. I also applied some minor skin smoothing, as she has naturally beautiful complexion.

Hope it helps.
10 Jul 2013 8:36PM
A lovely image of your grand-daughter and a tricky one to work on!
Wispy hair is always very difficult to cope with.
I liike miptog's comments!

Richard
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 9:39PM

Quote:A lovely image of your grand-daughter and a tricky one to work on!
Wispy hair is always very difficult to cope with.
I liike miptog's comments!

Richard



Me too!
marktc 5 85 14 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 9:39PM
A good starter for ten (says he who can't process at all). I like the result Tish, great work!
capto Plus
4 3.8k 8 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2013 10:58PM

Quote:So nice to have a photogenic model in the family. Keep up the good work, the rewards are worth it.
I have enjoyed doing a quick mod.Smile

ivor


.............. and I enjoyed viewing it, thank you so much, please tell me what you did and which version you used.

Tish



My mod was all done in PS, briefly, I used the 'refine edge' tool+ a few tweaks with the clone and healing brush tools. I also made a duplicate layer and blurred it, then erased the top layer with a soft brush on the face, but not the eyes, mouth etc, this gives the complexion a nice soft glow. A few touches with the dodge & burn tools on the eyes, job done. If you google portrait tutorials, you will have plenty of detailed help at hand. It just needs practice, and I need lots more.

ivor
banehawi Plus
12 1.4k 3461 Canada
11 Jul 2013 6:04AM
Though youve got a couple of decent mods. you need to start with a really good shot, and V2 has some issues.

Her face is not focused at all, and it seems the focus has fallen behind her face to where her dads sweater is. Make sure you select a single focus point (the flashing red or yellow boxes), and NOT multipoint, and place that point on her eye.


The shutter speed is too slow, and might have contributed to the face being soft, though that depends on the amount of light being supplied by the flash.

Try to diffuse the flash light, - simply taping a piece of tissue over the light can work wonders.


The simplest approach assuming the original was good, is a close crop, as in the mods, as theres noting wrong with the existing background. In fact, its far better than the replacement.


So youve got a load of learning in just one shot!



Regards



Willie
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
11 Jul 2013 10:50AM
Thank you Willie

Great mod, much appreciated, and the advice is invaluable.


Tish
12 Jul 2013 9:39AM
Smile
You are featured e2 piccy at the moment Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
12 Jul 2013 11:32AM
Photo processing/ editing is not my strong point, I just do the basics.
It seem there plenty of advice already given

Brian
Fefe Plus
4 23 31 United Kingdom
12 Jul 2013 9:07PM
Hi Tish, I am a bit late in the day here with my twopennethTongue.... but I have done you a mod, I dont upload a deal of portraits on here, but I do do them... sometimes. I have had a play, cropped, but leaving the suggestion of the second person,desaturated, added a little diffused glow and given a sepia filter and a smart sharpen. oh I also added a little border too, not a massive fan of borders but I think it siuts some portraits.
Hope you like my modSmile
Diane
Tish1 Plus
3 16 1 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2013 2:16PM

Quote:Hi Tish, I am a bit late in the day here with my twopennethTongue.... but I have done you a mod, I dont upload a deal of portraits on here, but I do do them... sometimes. I have had a play, cropped, but leaving the suggestion of the second person,desaturated, added a little diffused glow and given a sepia filter and a smart sharpen. oh I also added a little border too, not a massive fan of borders but I think it siuts some portraits.
Hope you like my modSmile
Diane




A great job you have done too, thank you very much.


Tish

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.