The "Saxon" tower was designed by James Wyatt in 1794 to resemble a mock castle, and built for Lady Coventry in 1799. The tower was built on a "beacon" hill, where beacons were lit on special occasions. Lady Coventry wondered if a beacon on this hill could be seen from her house in Worcester — approximately 22 miles (35 km) away — and sponsored the construction of the folly to find out. The beacon could be seen clearly.
Near the tower is a memorial to the crew of an A.W.38 Whitley bomber that crashed there during a training mission in June 1943.
Courtesy of Wikipedia.
prabhusinha, Jocelia, G3 and 6 more