A redundant 'Scotch' type derrick on the west bank of the River Hull, within Kingston upon Hull’s historic Old Town. The crane is a distinctive port-related feature and a rare reminder of Hull's shipbuilding past. The crane is sited on the north side of the old Queen’s Dock basin - historically important for being the last major relic of Hull's first enclosed dock (known in succession as The Dock, Old Dock & Queen's Dock). The 11 acre Queen's Dock was opened in 1778 and closed in 1930. The main dock was filled in to create pleasing city centre gardens (Queen’s Gardens) and the dock basin was reused as a dry dock from 1957 up until the end of the 20th century.
Framed in the left ‘triangle’ is the silvered dome on the great central lantern of the Postmodern Combined Court Centre (1988-90).
Framed in the right ‘triangle’ are the church towers of St Mary and Holy Trinity.
Many thanks for all the C&Cs on 'Gatehouse' and to Heather (Mrsbass) for her much appreciated UA
Kingston upon hull
Scotch type derrick
Queens dock basin
Hermanus, buxton, CarolG and 36 more