Back Modifications (2)
Views: 57 (29 Unique)  Award Shortlist   

Serching of

By kunal_seal
The most awaited festival of Kolkata "Durga Puja" is on the roll. Kolkata started to wrap herself with the cover of the festival. Potter started their work at Kumartuli. Ma Durga (Goddess Durga) is getting ready in there. I lost myself in the alley of Kumartuli. the pungent smell of the earth/Mud (The Idol is made with the earth), sound of the hammers dashing of the frames, mild sound of the durgamoni song (Starting song of the festival) enhance the feelings.

Tags: Photo journalism General Festival Portraits and people

Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


This photo is here for critique. Please only comment constructively and with suggestions on how to improve it.

Comments


nonur Plus
7 15 9 Turkey
27 May 2012 8:50AM
Good find and capture!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

puertouk 4 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 10:31AM
I'm afraid the mans hand is in focus, but his face is out of focus and blurred. Using an aperture of f2.2 with a shot like this would have been better with spot metering, rather than pattern. I would have gone to ISO 200 and an aperture of f4/f5 to get everything into focus or with the settings you used, I would have focused on the mans face rather than his hands.
Stephen
pamelajean Plus
10 951 1803 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 4:44PM
I understand that the preparations for the festival are done way in advance, Kunal, and the idol making also starts early. Clay idols of Bengal are famous worldwide for the traditional way in which they are made.
You have plenty of time to witness and record the work that is being put into the biggest social event of India because it is special in Kolkata, where you live. I think it's held in September-October? I'm sure you will be taking your camera to the 5-day celebrations, recording Kolkata's new look, the feasts, rituals and music.

I can see what you were trying to portray here...the hands of the potter and the hands of the idol, and I think it's a fine concept. However, I'd like to see more of the idol's hands, and perhaps a bit of the body, and I think that by moving your camera more to the right, you could have achieved this composition. There appears to be something intruding into the frame top right, and maybe you were trying to avoid whatever it is.
I assume it was your intention to have a shallow depth of field in order to focus on the hands, but I think the man's expression is worth recording here, and would like to have seen that in focus too. Would it have been possible to stand more to the left so that the man and idol were in the frame?
From what you say in your description, you seem to have a strong spiritual association with the potters' work, and I feel that you are attempting to use your camera to express those emotions, so keep up the good work, and go with your feelings. This image has a lot of potential.
Pamela.
banehawi Plus
11 1.3k 3402 Canada
27 May 2012 7:36PM
Its a good shot and a good exposure. Youve clearly focused deliberately on the near hands, and used the shallow dof effectively. Pattern metering has provided a very good exposure, and has not been influenced by the very bright areas behind.

I would crop it closer as in the mod, and do some work to remove the top right line crossing the hand.



regards



Willie
NEWMANP 8 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 9:07PM
i think some have understood your intent in this image and some havnt, i assume you fully intended to have the hand sharp at wide aperature and throw the rest out and to a great extent it works and is the classic feature of this excellent lens. i have just bought a classic 50mm 1.8 AIS nikkor vintage 1970s which i use on my d300s and its the best lens i have and one of nikons all time classics with excellent bokah and incredible optics. im unsure if the f2 minimal depth was the best approach and if a head slightly more in (but not fully in)focus. i think id have tried some fully open at 1.8 and some at f5.6

the reason for this is that despite throwing things out of focus, there are three overpowering highlights around the head and these would have been easier to control having stopped down a little. you have them now and i think a little airbrushing or careful cloning in photoshop or other editing media would make a huge difference

compositionally you have great components here but there are a few issues that i feel would need to be resolved to gain maximum potential from this shot. the highlights being one and i feel the sharper hand could be locally sharpened a good deal more to bring more dominance to it. in a way its a shame the focal length didnt allow the inclusion of the whole hand because keeping the head in was vital too and thats what you had to do.

Phil
NEWMANP 8 1.6k 574 United Kingdom
27 May 2012 9:49PM
did a quick touch up mod to show if you took some time out to sort the background properly, it would be a stronger image also sharpened the dominant hand a little
Phil
kunal_seal 5 3 1 India
28 May 2012 3:53AM

Quote:I understand that the preparations for the festival are done way in advance, Kunal, and the idol making also starts early. Clay idols of Bengal are famous worldwide for the traditional way in which they are made.
You have plenty of time to witness and record the work that is being put into the biggest social event of India because it is special in Kolkata, where you live. I think it's held in September-October? I'm sure you will be taking your camera to the 5-day celebrations, recording Kolkata's new look, the feasts, rituals and music.

I can see what you were trying to portray here...the hands of the potter and the hands of the idol, and I think it's a fine concept. However, I'd like to see more of the idol's hands, and perhaps a bit of the body, and I think that by moving your camera more to the right, you could have achieved this composition. There appears to be something intruding into the frame top right, and maybe you were trying to avoid whatever it is.
I assume it was your intention to have a shallow depth of field in order to focus on the hands, but I think the man's expression is worth recording here, and would like to have seen that in focus too. Would it have been possible to stand more to the left so that the man and idol were in the frame?
From what you say in your description, you seem to have a strong spiritual association with the potters' work, and I feel that you are attempting to use your camera to express those emotions, so keep up the good work, and go with your feelings. This image has a lot of potential.
Pamela.

Mam the festival starts on October 20 to 24, and of course mam i'll take my camera around the festival. Yes mam, if I would take some more of the idol that would be better, but unfortunately as you can see in the picture, a little part of a bamboo structure is interfering into the frame on the top right corner was there. that is why i intent to take the mood of the potter, his dedication for the subject, i kept him shallow because of the subject. As his this dedication goes to the Idol. but some how i found that i am wrong. i should have kept the potter in focus, i think that is why i am here. to get such healthy advices from you. I am honored. And at last but not the least, i feel honored again as a Bengali that people far away from out culture and country do have the interest in our festival. you know a lot. Thank you again for that.
kunal_seal 5 3 1 India
28 May 2012 3:54AM

Quote:Its a good shot and a good exposure. Youve clearly focused deliberately on the near hands, and used the shallow dof effectively. Pattern metering has provided a very good exposure, and has not been influenced by the very bright areas behind.

I would crop it closer as in the mod, and do some work to remove the top right line crossing the hand.



regards



Willie

Thank you very much sir for your constructive opinion. And thank you for the mod.
kunal_seal 5 3 1 India
28 May 2012 4:01AM

Quote:I think some have understood your intent in this image and some havnt, i assume you fully intended to have the hand sharp at wide aperature and throw the rest out and to a great extent it works and is the classic feature of this excellent lens. i have just bought a classic 50mm 1.8 AIS nikkor vintage 1970s which i use on my d300s and its the best lens i have and one of nikons all time classics with excellent bokah and incredible optics. im unsure if the f2 minimal depth was the best approach and if a head slightly more in (but not fully in)focus. i think id have tried some fully open at 1.8 and some at f5.6

the reason for this is that despite throwing things out of focus, there are three overpowering highlights around the head and these would have been easier to control having stopped down a little. you have them now and i think a little airbrushing or careful cloning in photoshop or other editing media would make a huge difference

compositionally you have great components here but there are a few issues that i feel would need to be resolved to gain maximum potential from this shot. the highlights being one and i feel the sharper hand could be locally sharpened a good deal more to bring more dominance to it. in a way its a shame the focal length didnt allow the inclusion of the whole hand because keeping the head in was vital too and thats what you had to do.

Phil

Thank you very much for your technical opinion sir. Yes this vintage 50mm is the best lens i have ever bought. But fortunately or unfortunately AF doesn't work in my camera(though i intentionally bought it to make my manual handling and my eye work better ). In this picture i have done no Photoshop. you can say this is the raw file. i just put the copyright and reduced the size, that's all. and thank you for the mod. I liked it very much. Smile Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.