Back Modifications (8)
Views: 92 (43 Unique)  Award Shortlist   

Untitled

By Mike43
Been trying to get something out of this shot for a while, but never been happy with the results, I like the composition and the misty light so any ideas will be appreciated.
Mike.

Tags: Landscape and travel

Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here
This photo is here for critique. Please only comment constructively and with suggestions on how to improve it.

Comments


caj26 4 4 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2014 2:10PM
Beautiful! Lovely choice of Black and white.Grin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mitchellhatpeg 13 205 1
5 Jul 2014 2:32PM
This is a very attractive image as it is, but you have asked for any ideas, so here are couple of thoughts, after looking at for a while.....

There are quite a few competing elements in the image, such as the tree in the extreme top left, which does tend to draw the eye a little. A slight crop to the left edge might be a tiny improvement to remove the edge of that tree?

I think it would also respond well to some toning, such as a sunset shade of orange or red?

Other than that, I don't think I would suggest any more.

It's just the kind of thing I like though.

Simon.
Very nicely taken and processed, love all the layers. SmileSmileSmileSmile
Carol
banehawi Plus
12 1.5k 3555 Canada
5 Jul 2014 4:01PM
Ive uploaded a few options Mike.

I think part of the issue for me is f/32; theres too much of the scene thats in focus, and the mods have as a common base the application of a tilt/shift filter to gradually blur as the distance increases.

It suits a pano format when the visible upper left becomes less visible, - I find I want to look at that area when its fairly well focused.

Later version have the foreground a little less distinct, to suggest mist all over the shot.


Hope it gives you some ideas.



Regards


Willie
Niknut Plus
6 1.3k 69 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2014 4:55PM
Beautiful shot !!....lovely receding planes, with great sihouettes !!.Smile

For me the nearest trees are a little central.....so I've done a simple mod. to a near square format....but that's just me ??
mitchellhatpeg 13 205 1
5 Jul 2014 8:53PM
I think the de-focussing option works really well. In Lightroom it would just be a question of reducing clarity in the background by using a graduated filter. The effect brings the main subject (the main tree) to the fore and reduces distraction from some of the detail behind, adding depth the image at the same time. Brill!

Simon
Mike43 5 17 21 England
6 Jul 2014 7:57AM
Thanks All for your comments and mods, food for thought.
Mike.
paulbroad 9 117 1075 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2014 2:49PM
You are far more of a landscape expert than I, but I, too, find myself wondering, why f32? I would have been at f8 or 11. You don't need that kind of depth of field for shots like this in my opinion.

Having said that, it's pretty good. I wonder about the whole thing being just a touch darker and, whilst mono works here, what does the colour version look like?

Paul
mrswoolybill Plus
10 990 1514 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2014 3:36PM
I'm a bit late here. I go with comments above - to fully exploit the magical softness of the mist you need a larger aperture. But the background trees can be softened in processing.

Composition: I agree with Niknut, the foreground trees are too central. Central placement generally gives a static, prosaic feel, it lacks a sense of flow and movement. I would crop to place the trees on the left rather than the right though.

I also wonder how this would look without the inclusion of sky. More mysterious, atmospheric perhaps. More of a private place.

Modification(s) to follow.
Moira
Mike43 5 17 21 England
6 Jul 2014 4:56PM
Hi Paul.
F.32 No idea, but if I remember right it was handheld and I was shooting into the light so maybe??.
Thanks for comments.
Mike.


Quote:You are far more of a landscape expert than I, but I, too, find myself wondering, why f32? I would have been at f8 or 11. You don't need that kind of depth of field for shots like this in my opinion.

Having said that, it's pretty good. I wonder about the whole thing being just a touch darker and, whilst mono works here, what does the colour version look like?

Paul

Mike43 5 17 21 England
6 Jul 2014 5:02PM
Hi Moira,
You might have something with your last upload, I like the effect of the darker trees tight in the corner.
Thanks.
Mike.


Quote:I'm a bit late here. I go with comments above - to fully exploit the magical softness of the mist you need a larger aperture. But the background trees can be softened in processing.

Composition: I agree with Niknut, the foreground trees are too central. Central placement generally gives a static, prosaic feel, it lacks a sense of flow and movement. I would crop to place the trees on the left rather than the right though.

I also wonder how this would look without the inclusion of sky. More mysterious, atmospheric perhaps. More of a private place.

Modification(s) to follow.
Moira

dudler Plus
13 468 908 England
6 Jul 2014 9:13PM
And I'm very late.

Given that this was shot at the long end of the zoom, the trees are all a good way away. I suspect that aperture doesn't vastly affect the depth of filed here, as the trees are all pretty damn close to infinity. Looking at http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html suggests that even with infinity focus, there's depth of field back to 821 feet at f/8, and I suspect that the trees are all pretty much that far away... Any blur will be relatively slight.

And, actually, I have no problem with the trees all being sharp, as they're so nicely separated by the arail perspective. Receding planes work for me, even if they are all pin sharp.

Though I find f/32 a really odd choice, especially as the camera was set in program mode, and the shutter speed was only 1/200. Well worth goign for aperture priority, I'd say...

But a nice result, and even better in Willie's tight crop.
paulbroad 9 117 1075 United Kingdom
7 Jul 2014 8:13AM
When I shoot landscape intentionally, which is very rare, I try and use a hand meter with incident lighf attachment. They cannot be wrong. We always ysed such gear when shooting outdoor industrial shots, but then the cameras didn't have meters! Not decent systems at least!

Weston Master then, which I still have, although I use a Sekonic now.

Paul
Mike43 5 17 21 England
7 Jul 2014 8:35AM
Hi Paul.
When I worked with 6X7 use to have an old Weston Light Meter as backup, long before digital.
Not sure about happy days but I was younger.
Regards.
Mike.


Quote:When I shoot landscape intentionally, which is very rare, I try and use a hand meter with incident lighf attachment. They cannot be wrong. We always ysed such gear when shooting outdoor industrial shots, but then the cameras didn't have meters! Not decent systems at least!

Weston Master then, which I still have, although I use a Sekonic now.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.