Back Modifications (4)
Views 136 Unique 56
Vote 35
Award Shortlist   

ZIGZAG

By Tish1    
First, many apologies for my vote and run of recent months; I have been up to my neck in work, which is starting to subside fortunately, just the admin to finish now. Then I can get on with the housework that has been neglected and find where I left my life.

Many thanks to you all for your views and comments on my previous up loads and to Willie [banehawi] for some much needed advice.

I am still on my photography course and this weeks 'ONE WORD CHALLENGE' is Zigzag, I think my tutor has a weird sense of humour or perhaps sadistic; if you look carefully you can see some zigzags.

This is Derwent Valley taken this afternoon and look, no rain, just a very full reservoir, but don't panic, rain is forecast for this evening and tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

The water was so still today it was a mirror, thus allowing me to capture some reflections; I couldn't get the angel I wanted, crickey, I nearly fell in twice and walking back up to the path nearly killed me. I have got to get a Tardis Grin

Please enjoy and don't be shy about offering your comments, they are always very much appreciated and much needed in terms of helping me with my photography course.

Tish

Tags: General Derwent valley Zigzag Landscape and travel

Voters: PhilT2, FrancisChiles, RysiekJan and 32 more

Readers' Choice Awards are given to photos that get over 30 votes

Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Comments


ali63 9 791 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2014 5:24PM
Lovely image,

Ali
barbarahirst 13 27 12 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2014 6:01PM
surreal image .....
NDODS 11 5.2k 127 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2014 7:18PM
Stunning take on the given theme...

Regards Nathan GrinGrinGrin
cardikit Junior Member 9 3 1 United Kingdom
10 Feb 2014 7:21PM
Tish - have missed you!! Gorgeous image - I have uploaded a MOD where all I have done is increase the hue/saturation slightly.
On my screen the greens looked quite washed out.
Superb image - I love it - it looks so peaceful and tranquil. Smile

Carol
jaktis Plus
17 84 Sweden
10 Feb 2014 7:37PM
Great patterns

Peter
ddolfelin Plus
10 103 3 Wales
10 Feb 2014 8:57PM
That's a winner! Great picture.
gwynn56 10 88 England
10 Feb 2014 10:52PM
beautiful scene Smile
Nigeve1 8 1.4k 101 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 8:15AM
Lovely scene with a definite tranquil feel, I like the quality of the reflections in the water, the slight ripple giving a lovely effect. The composition is good with the vectors of the horizon and reflected horizon drawing the eye into the further hills, the figure on the promontory is ideally placed to enhance this composition. The winter light is a bit flat though and I think an increase in contrast and localised brightness and vibrance would liven the image somewhat, I think the sky can be improved a bit too ( a 1 or 2 stop hard grad ND filter used in situ would have been ideal though as the uppermost horizon is almost level). I have done a mod to try and achieve the above.

Nigel
Tish1 Plus
8 32 5 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 8:25AM

Quote:Lovely scene with a definite tranquil feel, I like the quality of the reflections in the water, the slight ripple giving a lovely effect. The composition is good with the vectors of the horizon and reflected horizon drawing the eye into the further hills, the figure on the promontory is ideally placed to enhance this composition. The winter light is a bit flat though and I think an increase in contrast and localised brightness and vibrance would liven the image somewhat, I think the sky can be improved a bit too ( a 1 or 2 stop hard grad ND filter used in situ would have been ideal though as the uppermost horizon is almost level). I have done a mod to try and achieve the above.

Nigel



Hi Nigel

Thanks for the mod I love it and I couldn't agree more about the sky; took my filters with me, forgot to take the adaptor Blush. I was very fortunate with the figure in the distance, another photographer was doing the modelling for me, not that he is claiming any royalties, I hope.

Printing this image is not without its problems mainly due to the reflections, it looks quite odd; lets see what my tutor has to say about this problem, but quite a lot of images present problems when printing, the look OK on the screen but print out very dark. I'm experimenting with techniques to over come this, but if you have any advice that would be appreciated.

Tish
Nigeve1 8 1.4k 101 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 4:12PM
Hi Tish, do you mean printing yourself at home or sending files off to a printing company?
Nigel
marktc Plus
11 101 15 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 5:23PM
It's lovely Tish welcome back. Very well composed and captured love it
Tish1 Plus
8 32 5 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 6:21PM

Quote:Hi Tish, do you mean printing yourself at home or sending files off to a printing company?
Nigel



Both actually, since I had a similar problem when I sent some images off digitally, but also when I am printing off for my course for other students to critique along with the tutor

Tish
Nigeve1 8 1.4k 101 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 8:50PM
I have never managed to get satisfactory results from my home printer. Commercial labs are variable, but try this link, I have found they produce good and reproducible results re. colour management.

www.loxleycolour.com/colourmanagement.aspx
Tish1 Plus
8 32 5 United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 9:49PM

Quote:I have never managed to get satisfactory results from my home printer. Commercial labs are variable, but try this link, I have found they produce good and reproducible results re. colour management.

www.loxleycolour.com/colourmanagement.aspx



Thanks Nigel, very much appreciated!

Tish
marktc Plus
11 101 15 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2014 6:02AM
Tish you could also try Paul Morgan who is an epz'er... his website is Blurred Visionz and he's very good. He's printing the images for my exhibition.
Jasper87 Plus
11 2.8k 158 England
12 Feb 2014 10:20PM
Glossy reflections, Tish, and the figure is an excellent addition. Can't help re the printing though, I've not actually tried doing any.... yet.

Dave
danbrann 17 640 17
13 Feb 2014 2:11PM
All the right ingredients Tish. A fine image.
Canonshots 11 206 13 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2014 4:51PM

Quote:I have never managed to get satisfactory results from my home printer. Commercial labs are variable, but try this link, I have found they produce good and reproducible results re. colour management.

www.loxleycolour.com/colourmanagement.aspx



I have tried a number of different printers and the differences between them can be very marked. My Epson Photo 830 was the worst (I only use it for documents now), requiring images to be edited with a big increase in brightness to get anything like decent results. Currently I am using a Canon MP550 which is very good.

Re this image - i grew up in Derbyshire and I still love its landscapes. This image gives me great pleasure.
Fefe Plus
10 57 37 United Kingdom
15 Feb 2014 1:59PM
Lovely image Tish......Gosh ......Derwent loooks soooooo full! Is the water pouring over the dam wall?
Diane
banehawi Plus
17 2.6k 4274 Canada
24 Feb 2014 3:18AM
This is a really nice shot Tish.

I notice you were looking for angels, - but all you found were angles! Its too soon for angels...

I looked at the image after this one, and I agree that this is a much better image. Its better because of the person in the shot, - or whars seems to be a person, is much more visible, and the frame is just filled with the gorgeous greens. Those grees have a touch of blue Ive removed in the mods.

Hope you like them, - white balance and contrast mainly.

Regards


Willie
Tish1 Plus
8 32 5 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2014 8:13AM

Quote:This is a really nice shot Tish.

I notice you were looking for angels, - but all you found were angles! Its too soon for angels...

I looked at the image after this one, and I agree that this is a much better image. Its better because of the person in the shot, - or whars seems to be a person, is much more visible, and the frame is just filled with the gorgeous greens. Those grees have a touch of blue Ive removed in the mods.

Hope you like them, - white balance and contrast mainly.

Regards


Willie



Willie, I am always looking for Angles, you just never know when you might need one Grin

Thank you for the mods

Tish

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.