Designer? But you're a photographer!
Designer? But you're a photographer!19 Jul 2014 4:48PM Views : 526 Unique : 441
Yes, I know - there's plenty I could be doing to better my photography, but life aint like that, well not in my world anyway
I just cant help myself when I get an idea, and this idea is about 2 years old.
I buy quite a bit of stuff from ebay for model shoots, and when I see a bargain, I think, "Yeah, that would be good..... for something, oneday".
I bought the pink leather hides first, and without even knowing what I was going to use them for, realised I needed 3 instead of 2, so ordered 1 more.
Then came the M&S leather coat, but still no real creative plan of what to do....
Probably about 6 months later before I thought about doing a 'caged' look, but then the question, how to fix it all together?
This bit took a further 6 months of procrastinating before finally buying a riveting tool and some rivets, and some glue,
with half an idea of the sequence of events that lead to how the jacket looks finished.
The procrastinating part was important because it was during this time that I thought about several methods for attaching the leather strips,
and then realising that they would work with that method, so procrastinating's good
The spacing of the strips was also important because I wanted to attach strips that ties the arms to the body of the coat, so the spacing had to match arms and body, if that makes sense.
I then decided that the back should be different from the front, but I would start on the front, as I had now told Elesha(the model) about the idea,
and had set a date to shoot. This was months into the future but still it had now become a committment.
I almost forgot, before I started to stick the leather strips on, I used some acetone to remove some of the colour in the leather, followed by sand-papering all the leather to give it a distressed look. Then I mixed up some thinned down emulsion, similar in colour to the coat tone, and sponged this all over the leather to create a mottled look.
So then I start by cutting the pink leather hides into 1 inch strips, and using uhu-glue, which is quick drying and not super strong bonding, to hold the leather vertical strips in place on the main body of the jacket. Then I did the same with the horizontal strips, leaving excess at the tops, bottoms and sides for final trimming.
Once all pieces were in place, I used the rivet press to set the rivets, which go through the coat as well as the strips, which I made guide holes for using a knife or a large, sharp needle.
The front of the coat started to look good, and was mde better once the arms had been 'striped'.
The were certain areas that looked a bit messy, like the arm/shoulder joins so I use a stronger adhesive to stick the leather to these areas.
At some point, I had an idea to make the back of the coat look 'corseted'. Not sure if that's the right term, but it did give the coat shape a new direction – meaning that the coat could be pulled into the body shape from an otherwise straight cut.
This idea also fitted with t he horizontal lines coming from the front of the coat.
I had bought D-rings when I bought the buckles for the front of the coat, and I had plenty left over after attaching the arms to the body.
I then just used loose strips between the double D-rings which held the stips with friction – perfect.
The only other area that needed a finishing touch was the collar, which I used an overlapped effect with short pink leather strips to finish.