"Bonny Bairns" rowing boat belonging to St Mary's Island.
St. Mary's Lighthouse is on the tiny St. Mary's Island, just north of Whitley Bay on the coast of North East England. The small rocky tidal island is linked to the mainland by a short concrete causeway which is submerged at high tide.
The lighthouse and adjacent keepers' cottages were built in 1898 by the John Miller company of Tynemouth, using 645 blocks of stone and 750,000 bricks. It was built on the site of a monastery where a small sanctuary light would have acted as a guide to passing ships. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1984 and stands at 38-metre (125 ft) in height.
While it no longer functions as a working lighthouse, this building, together with the former keepers' cottages, are now being used as a small museum, a visitor's centre, and a cafe, operated by North Tyneside Council.
Taken on 27th May 2013.
Coordinates: 55.071656°N 1.449444°W
Landscape and travel
Ray12, boov, fificat100