Soldier and Sailor detail at the Alnwick War Memorial, situated on Bondgate, at the Bamburgh-Dunstanburgh Castle B1340 turn off, Northumberland.
The memorial stands in Denwick Lane, Alnwick, and takes the form of a stone column surmounted by a lamp. The column stands on a large stone pedestal which in turn bears the bronze plaques with names and inscription.
There are four bronze figures, in mourning pose, one in each corner, which surmount the pedestal. There are 189 names for World War 1 and 76 for World War 2, one for Korea and one for Northern Ireland. None of these have yet been transcribed except for the Korean and Northern Ireland casualties. The memorial was unveiled on 11th November 1922 by the Duke of Northumberland. The designers were Messrs. Hicks and Charleswood and the sculptors Ralph Hedley and Sons. Details appeared in the Morpeth Herald on the 13th February 1920, and the Alnwick and County Gazette on the 21st February 1920.
The column of remembrance is dedicated to the men of Alnwick who gave their lives in the wars of 1914-1918, and 1939-1945.
Taken on 24th June 2009.
Tags: Photo journalism
Landscape and travel
Portraits and people
cambsman, RLF, Cormy and 1 more