Many thanks for the comments and votes on my previous upload – and special thanks to sergedlm, who gave me a User Award for the Long Neck Karen image.
This is another series depicting different facets of everyday life in Bangkok.
1. Here a lady has been very busy shopping in the wholesale clothing area of Pratunam and is calling for her husband to come and collect her. The guy sitting behind is a taxi driver; she didn’t want him but it wasn’t too long before he had a fare.
2. Taken around lunchtime from a bridge near the Erewan Shrine, this street vendor was doing a fine trade with his barbecued snacks.
3. A young Thai man keeps fit jogging in Chatuchak Park; the temperature was over 30C and the humidity was high, but he kept going!
4. This mobile drink stall always does a good trade in the back-packer haven of Khao San Road. Love that sign!
5. I spotted this guy taking a nap when we were exploring the area of Bangkok known as Din Daeng. We did not see another Occidental face in over two hours – the locals were inquisitive as to our presence, but were also welcoming and friendly.
6. An old lady accompanied by her dog hawks her towels around on a trolley in Bangsri Meuang, on the opposite side of the Chao Praya river from Nonthaburi.
7. This is Li, a young Akha girl who we have befriended over the years, Li and other members of the Akha hill tribe sell their handicrafts in and around Khao San Road. Whenever she sees us, Li rushes up and gives us both a hug and a kiss, much to the incredulity of passers-by!
8. Two Buddhist monks share a joke as they wait for the river boat at Tha Tien.
9. Thai people love to take a family picnic and relax in public parks at the weekend. Here at Chatuchak Park two tourists have joined in.
10. A young mum and her son have spotted dad returning – love their expressions! Taken in Soi 8, leading off Sukhumvit Road.
11. Three young girls wait for a tuk-tuk just outside the bustling market area in Wang Lang.
12. This young lady is in contemplative mood as she relaxes beside an artificial lake in Chatuchak Park.
13. A park bench is the perfect place for a quick snooze – captured in a public park near Pra Sumen Fort on the banks of the Chao Praya River.
14. A street vendor squats by the roadside and prepares a food order – taken in a small side street near Chinatown.
15. This young schoolgirl must have had a hard day – she fell asleep on the crowded, rocking express boat, but she must have had an inbuilt alarm clock because she was wide awake when the boat came to the stop that she wanted.
16. A young lady has her hair braided in Khao San Road, she was thrilled when I showed her the photograph!
This is likely to be my last upload of the year as we are taking a short trip to the Rhine Valley in a few days and then spending Christmas with family in Devon. Early in January we are heading back to Thailand for a while and although I will look in on the site from time to time, it is unlikely that I will upload any images from there. Will begin posting again after our return.
Tricia and I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and successful 2009.
Tags: Street photography
Portraits and people
hellsbells8868, claret, Ray42 and 237 more