Views: 115 (59 Unique) 
Vote 35
Award Shortlist   

Saturday Swans

By ChiliMan
A very big THANK YOU to Alan (Alan_Baseley) for his User Award on my orchids. Much appreciated SmileSmile

-----

Now then…these shots weren’t great to start with and I’m not good at processing not-very-good shots to make them look nice. Nevertheless, I just had to share with you the “swans doing their housekeeping” thing…which is what was going on in Vs 2 and 3 Grin They were at it for ages! V1 seems the most presentable shot so I put that first.

V1: One came over to say ‘hi’.

V4: Swan version of tossing the caber.

V5: Demarcating his territory: “You go past this line and you’re in for a whole world of beak, buddy”.


Andrew

Tags: Photo journalism Swans Wildlife and nature Humour and fun Housekeeping

Voters: Newdawei, gss, annettep38 and 32 more

Readers' Choice Awards are given to photos that get over 30 votes

Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Comments


annettep38 Plus
5 218 40 Costa Rica
21 Dec 2013 9:14AM
The illusion of the swan going under a sheet of lotus lake is perfect. Great series!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

woolybill1 Plus
9 22 68 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 9:18AM
V2 and V5 - for the contrasts in shape, swans and statues in opposition.
Well observed!
Regards
Bill
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
21 Dec 2013 9:23AM

Quote:The illusion of the swan going under a sheet of lotus lake is perfect. Great series!



Quote:V2 and V5 - for the contrasts in shape, swans and statues in opposition.
Well observed!
Regards
Bill



I never noticed these things! Thanks, you two SmileSmile That's one of the great things about this site - others' eyes opening yours.
21 Dec 2013 9:28AM
Andrew, how long have you been a EPZer?
Don't you know the theme on Saturdays - is Shadows?
What the heck have Swans got to do with Shadows?!
Ohhh, hang on, there's a Shadow in V1, but it's a Lilly Shadow..
Crikey, it's difficult to get the staff these days....
... Shadows - and we get bloody Swans, doing housekeeping.
And get that 5 o'clock one, from the underneath your chin - Shadow, Andrew, Shadow!

Simon
Smile Smile Smile Wink
mrswoolybill Plus
9 965 1492 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 9:38AM
There are some lovely ripples in this set but V1 has to be the star.
Moira
CarolG Plus
9 196 18 Greece
21 Dec 2013 9:40AM
Lovely images, Andrew, but I recognise the 'statues', did you nip into my garden overnight and whisk mine away for a photo shoot? Wink Contrary to what Simon says, V.1 definitely qualifies for shadow Saturday, that's a beauty underneath the lily flower Smile Carol
Quoise Plus
3 736 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 9:50AM
Lovely images! Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas Smile
Mollycat Plus
3 11 2 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 10:03AM
Lily shadow's good for me Andrew. Do like your family of swans, especially V5. Just realised if I change my specs I wont get a crick in the neck. Good weekend Andrew.
GrinGrinGrin Peter.
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
21 Dec 2013 10:09AM

Quote:Andrew, how long have you been a EPZer?
Don't you know the theme on Saturdays - is Shadows?
What the heck have Swans got to do with Shadows?!
Ohhh, hang on, there's a Shadow in V1, but it's a Lilly Shadow..
Crikey, it's difficult to get the staff these days....
... Shadows - and we get bloody Swans, doing housekeeping.
And get that 5 o'clock one, from the underneath your chin - Shadow, Andrew, Shadow!

Simon
Smile Smile Smile Wink



Lol...I've been scruffy...the shadow on my face ain't a 5 o'clock one but a 3 day one. Oops! Grin

As for the shadowlessness, ahh, I gave advance warning yesterday...which is in compliance with Section 5 Sub-section 3b of the Saturday Shadows & Silly Sunday Act of 2012.
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
21 Dec 2013 10:11AM

Quote:Lovely images, Andrew, but I recognise the 'statues', did you nip into my garden overnight and whisk mine away for a photo shoot? Wink Contrary to what Simon says, V.1 definitely qualifies for shadow Saturday, that's a beauty underneath the lily flower Smile Carol


Dammit...I knew I should've disguised the statues Grin That's actually a reflection of the lily but it looks like a shadow so we can qualify it thus GrinGrin
franken Plus
14 4.0k 4 Wales
21 Dec 2013 10:11AM
Lovely set here Andrew.

Ken
21 Dec 2013 10:54AM
I like the combination of the swan sculpture and the live swans (possibly trying to give the sculptures a hard time)!
SlowSong Plus
8 6.4k 29 England
21 Dec 2013 11:55AM
Lovely swans going about their business and brightening up a dull-as-dishwater day in London. Smile
21 Dec 2013 12:14PM
A lovely set of swan images. V1 is especially beautiful. Have a wonderful Merry Christmas Andrew.
Joline Plus
10 27 53 United States
21 Dec 2013 12:53PM
From the sublime to the ridiculous....v1 is sublime and v4&5 are marvelously and ridiculously zany. Lucky to have such lovely swans.
ColleenA Plus
4 319 4 Australia
21 Dec 2013 1:33PM
Beautiful images Andrew....thanks for sharing
mikbee 9 3 8 Scotland
21 Dec 2013 1:47PM
I agree with Simon here Andrew.
I think I shall report you under the Trade Descriptions Act.
Some of us pay good money to join this site,and on a Saturday we expect SHADOWS not swans !!
And your title is misleading in the first place too.
Where do these swans go to for the rest of the days in the week ?
It must be Scotland to practice their caber tossing !!
A good set despite all my misgivings !!
Mick.
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
21 Dec 2013 3:34PM

Quote:I agree with Simon here Andrew.
I think I shall report you under the Trade Descriptions Act.
Some of us pay good money to join this site,and on a Saturday we expect SHADOWS not swans !!
And your title is misleading in the first place too.
Where do these swans go to for the rest of the days in the week ?
It must be Scotland to practice their caber tossing !!
A good set despite all my misgivings !!
Mick.



I seem to have cast a shadow on today's proceedings Sad Bad Andrew! Baaad.


Quote:Where do these swans go to for the rest of the days in the week ?


Swansea, innit.
Glostopcat 10 255 2 England
21 Dec 2013 3:49PM
Poor Andrew you are copping it from all sides today! Mikbee is giving you lock stock and two smokings barrels again and Simon has really got a cob on!Tongue I think the tights Scotsmen are worried about Christmas coming and the damage to their wallets they will incur in the next week or two!WinkGrin At least Swansea jack gary_d will appreciate this one if he finds time to log on to view this upload inbetween ferrying drunken revellers about in South Wales!Smile It looks like you've spent far too long swanning about while taking these shots and have become distracted and gone off at a tangent instead of following the Shadow Saturday theme!Wink
Lillian Plus
7 22 17 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 7:33PM
Great set Andrew but love V2
Really has so much
Lillian
netta1234 Plus
4 369 2 Wales
21 Dec 2013 7:47PM
Great setSmile
nettaSmile
AnneWorner 8 620 43 United States
21 Dec 2013 8:00PM
I agree that v1 is the star, and I agree with Annette about the illusion of the swan going underneath the lotus plants. But v5 is also a corker, made more so by your wonderful commentary Smile

Anne
bricurtis Plus
11 2.1k 49 England
21 Dec 2013 8:14PM
V1 is superb Andrew - great clarity.
Brian.
EMJAYCEE Plus
7 9 10 England
21 Dec 2013 10:31PM
Enjoyed the chat as much as the pics today Andrew GrinGrinGrinGrinGrin
Joan.
LynneJoyce Plus
8 20 99 United Kingdom
21 Dec 2013 11:33PM
Oh sod shadows, these swans are much more fun, particularly the one wielding a stick as a weapon in V5.
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
22 Dec 2013 2:08AM

Quote:Poor Andrew you are copping it from all sides today! Mikbee is giving you lock stock and two smokings barrels again and Simon has really got a cob on!Tongue I think the tights Scotsmen are worried about Christmas coming and the damage to their wallets they will incur in the next week or two!WinkGrin At least Swansea jack gary_d will appreciate this one if he finds time to log on to view this upload inbetween ferrying drunken revellers about in South Wales!Smile It looks like you've spent far too long swanning about while taking these shots and have become distracted and gone off at a tangent instead of following the Shadow Saturday theme!Wink


Top form, Ed Grin
ChiliMan Plus
10 135 17 Singapore
22 Dec 2013 2:10AM

Quote:I agree that v1 is the star, and I agree with Annette about the illusion of the swan going underneath the lotus plants. But v5 is also a corker, made more so by your wonderful commentary Smile

Anne




Quote:Oh sod shadows, these swans are much more fun, particularly the one wielding a stick as a weapon in V5.


Glad you both like V5 - that one got me too GrinGrin
AnnChown Plus
6 199 1 United Kingdom
22 Dec 2013 11:27AM
This has generated lots of silliness which is all wonderful! v1 is playing a lot of tricks on the eyes.... Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.